Apple Drops Single Processor 1.8 Ghz G5


nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
372
0
Jacksonville, Fl
coconn06 said:
Woah, that's strange. Glad I got mine when I did. Has anyone seen any news/press release/etc. from Apple about this?
Yeah, I was thinking about getting that one myself near the end of summer - guess not. :(
 

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
682
0
Antwerp-Belgium
hmmz still here in belgium...

but since that one didn't got a rev... Its no surprise if they would remove it...

if I would need a single proc G5 for that money I would buy me a new iMac...

in the store: it still has the 'older' graphics options with ADC & DVI no BTO 400GB SATA drives possible, its a 8x superdrive, standard with modem...
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
yeah seems to have been dropped from the Canadian store as welll. Personally I love mine, yeah I could have gotten a 17" iMac for the same price with a great monitor but the tower's just got a little more pizass.
 

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
682
0
Antwerp-Belgium
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
It's not, look at the main Apple Store page...
it still is in the tech specs... follow the link... indeed in the graphics they changed the price allready... and the store doesn't have them... but really look under hardware specs on the G5... still there ;) I'm not blind :p

but not on the belgian store, everything is status quo, allso the cheapest G5 is still priced at 1459 euro's ;) the dual 2 starts at 1999 euro...
 

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
212
0
Ware, MA
I had recently ordered a stripped down (combo drive, no other options) PM SP (would have been a little over $1100 with edu discount and rebate). I already had a display and wanted the upgradability of the PM.

This morning I got an email in saying that it would not be ready for another week and a half, and that I had the option of cancelling my order. I went and checked out the refurbs that were available and saw a rev. B (PCI-X, 8 RAM slots) Dual 2.0 for $1649. I immediately cancelled my previous order, and ordered the 2.0 MP. I already have a 9800 SE 256, and 2GB of RAM waiting for it. Can't wait. :D
 

Gorbag

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
56
0
West London
Still on sale in the regent street store. Oddly enough I didn't see any other G5s there but i only had a cursory look, so i might have missed them.
 

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
326
1
São Paulo - Brasil
Ok, now that i've already bought mine this monday, they update the Mini...
Well well... I expect that I'm able to get the Rev B, considering that Apple releases a Rev B Mini...
 

Gorbag

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
56
0
West London
Also still available on the UK webstore.





£999.00
(£850.21 ex VAT)

Ready to ship: Within 24hrs
Free Shipping
1.8GHz PowerPC G5
600MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
80GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive
Three PCI Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem
 

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
270
63
The next big thing...

I've actually been waiting for the rev. B mini, in order to compare to the eMac. Here's hoping it's still a ppc. At least that's what I'm hoping... I think.
 

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
iGary said:
Now the dual 2.0 needs to come down $200.00.

The single 1.8 might be replaced by a single 2.0.
Looks like they're trying to create a greater difference between the iMacs and the PowerMacs - although if Apple were to re-instate a SP PowerMac or make the DP 2.0 the "entry level" machine, they'd of course have to cripple the FSB down to 1/3 processor speed and take away other hardware, too. :mad:
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
Interesting move. Perhaps Apple realized the iMac line is approaching the low-end PM and wanted to get rid of it for better product differentiation. Or they have something else in store....

let's hope we see a few mroe changes to the Store in the near future, like new Mac Minis and even more importantly, iBooks!