Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
Can you write an iOS 10 app on an iPhone, can you write any other programs? Stop claiming that iPhone is a computer just because it has a processor. My DSLR has 2 chips but it is still a camera.
You mean, an iPhone is not a computer because you cannot write iOS 10 apps on it? Is that a requirement in general or just yours?

I guess Swift Playgrounds are not counting, since it does not run on the iPhone?

And your DSLR is a computer, it can process digital data.
[doublepost=1475007889][/doublepost]
Ugh, not this again.

Context, people, context.

Can we just make it so devices running a FULL OS (not mobile OS) are the ones termed "computers"?

There are only so many words in the English language, folks.

I get that the OP was being facetious, but still...

Why? Because it would make things easier for YOU?

And don't worry, hardly anyone calls smartphones and tablets computers, just the ones giving a damn.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
well, you can believe it or not. But to even assume 'm even a remote fanboy is actually amusing to me, considering I bet you 95% of the users on this site believe i'm an apple hater

(I'm just a very nit picky overly critical ass cantankerous old bastard)

I've had to deal with support 2 times when it came to dealing with Apple.

Apple TV 3rd gen had the WiFi bug. Got through over the phone and everything was set. Two weeks rolls past and no replacement Apple TV. Call again, they say that it was delivered and give me tracking number that shows it was delivered to different city in a different state. I proceed to argue with Apple support of two levels for another 50 minutes and in the end get accused of trying to get a free Apple TV by saying I didn't receive the replacement. I get "disconnected", not sure if it was them hanging up or my iPhone dropping the call, and call back to get a different person who eventually gets a replacement on the way to me without much issue (just some verification of info).

iPhone 5 battery replacement program. No troubles with Apple support over the phone and got things setup to take it to an Apple store. Closest one is just shy of 2 hours away. I call before I leave to verify, with the exact Apple store I'm going to, that things are a go and I set off. I get to the Apple store and they tell me that they have no parts to do the replacement. I state that I talked to this person at this time and they said it was all set up and I won't have a problem.

At first they find my info, appointment, and the person I talked to, yet somehow they had no idea I was coming. Then they said that they had a walk-in and used the parts up there. I explain my predicament, they get a manager, and now somehow it was 3 walk-ins that came in. They all seemed like they couldn't care less that I had an appointment and drove all that way to be turned back empty handed even after I confirmed directly with that Apple store that I'd be there in 2 hours to have this work done.

After that I call Apple again and pick a "authorized service provider" that is only 35 minutes away. Over the phone they (the ASP) said I could wait and it would be done in about 20 minutes. I get there and I'm told I have to leave my phone for the day. I protest, they ask if I want it done or not, I leave my phone there. I pick it up about 6 hours later and there are multiple scratches all over the back and 2 fairly deep scratches on the screen (you could see them without trying if you loaded a page in safari with a white background). All those scratches weren't there when I dropped it off because I had just taken off my case and screen protector not an hour before I got there because they told me to. I call Apple support and explain to them that the "authorized service provider" scratched my phone up and I want it resolved. They said I "should have taken it to an Apple store"... and that was that. I confronted the "authorized service provider" about the scratches and he eventually owned up. We agreed he would replace the screen and I wouldn't push the matter further with Apple.

No apologies, and nothing like the service that you describe. So you'll have to excuse me if I call BS on it.
[doublepost=1475008720][/doublepost]
You mean, an iPhone is not a computer because you cannot write iOS 10 apps on it? Is that a requirement in general or just yours?

I guess Swift Playgrounds are not counting, since it does not run on the iPhone?

[doublepost=1475007889][/doublepost]

And don't worry, hardly anyone calls smartphones and tablets computers, just the ones giving a damn.

If it takes a "real" computer to restore it to working condition after an OTA update breaks it...

Reactions: SirRahikkala

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I've had to deal with support 2 times when it came to dealing with Apple.

Apple TV 3rd gen had the WiFi bug. Got through over the phone and everything was set. Two weeks rolls past and no replacement Apple TV. Call again, they say that it was delivered and give me tracking number that shows it was delivered to different city in a different state. I proceed to argue with Apple support of two levels for another 50 minutes and in the end get accused of trying to get a free Apple TV by saying I didn't receive the replacement. I get "disconnected", not sure if it was them hanging up or my iPhone dropping the call, and call back to get a different person who eventually gets a replacement on the way to me without much issue (just some verification of info).

iPhone 5 battery replacement program. No troubles with Apple support over the phone and got things setup to take it to an Apple store. Closest one is just shy of 2 hours away. I call before I leave to verify, with the exact Apple store I'm going to, that things are a go and I set off. I get to the Apple store and they tell me that they have no parts to do the replacement. I state that I talked to this person at this time and they said it was all set up and I won't have a problem.

At first they find my info, appointment, and the person I talked to, yet somehow they had no idea I was coming. Then they said that they had a walk-in and used the parts up there. I explain my predicament, they get a manager, and now somehow it was 3 walk-ins that came in. They all seemed like they couldn't care less that I had an appointment and drove all that way to be turned back empty handed even after I confirmed directly with that Apple store that I'd be there in 2 hours to have this work done.

After that I call Apple again and pick a "authorized service provider" that is only 35 minutes away. Over the phone they (the ASP) said I could wait and it would be done in about 20 minutes. I get there and I'm told I have to leave my phone for the day. I protest, they ask if I want it done or not, I leave my phone there. I pick it up about 6 hours later and there are multiple scratches all over the back and 2 fairly deep scratches on the screen (you could see them without trying if you loaded a page in safari with a white background). All those scratches weren't there when I dropped it off because I had just taken off my case and screen protector not an hour before I got there because they told me to. I call Apple support and explain to them that the "authorized service provider" scratched my phone up and I want it resolved. They said I "should have taken it to an Apple store"... and that was that. I confronted the "authorized service provider" about the scratches and he eventually owned up. We agreed he would replace the screen and I wouldn't push the matter further with Apple.

No apologies, and nothing like the service that you describe. So you'll have to excuse me if I call BS on it.

It bothers me that in 2016 any modern company would do this. I don't doubt your story. Unfortunately it always comes down to the person you deal with and sometimes you get good, and sometimes you get bad

hopefully, the bad doesn't outweigh the good. And anecdotes fo our good experience unfortunately don't help in yours. I hope whatever options you are left with you end up doing whats right for yourself.

at the end of the day, Apple is just a corporation, and I would rather a person does right by themselves than prop up a company just cause it's logo is a fruit.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
cause it's not legal :p technically speaking from the EULA at least ;)

but I concur. To put in perspective

my desktop isn't some amazing super beast. It's a standard Haswell i5-4670 (Why I didn't spend 20 and get the K is worthy of a kick in my ass), 16GB of well timed DDR3 RAM, 2 x 120GB SSD's, 500GB SSD for fast gaming storage, 290x 4gb graphics card, and I've married it to a 34" ultra wide screen 99% sRGB LED LG display (2560x1080).

I paid < $1,500 Canadian. if you want to include all other accesories over the years, like the USB HDMI input, a cheap 2nd display, high end mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse, and the water cooling kit, cause, you know. I CAN. I have only spent ~$2000 total

Find me an actual Apple computer for that with the same or even near equivelant parts and performance.

at the end of the day. you pay Apple premium for Apple design. I don't begrudge anyone who likes it. its simple. easy and does look great. Will it suffice for a lot of people, damn right. But for those of us who actually do look at the price to performance comparisons, versus Price to design, Apple isn't really "the best of the best" in any way.

and I've ranted enough :p
Amen. It's all a matter of use case. My MacBook for all the wordsmithing and video/photo editing and drawing, because like you said, simple. The machine is solid, reliable, portable, and easy to use. It just gets out of my way so I can work. I would benefit marginally from a slightly higher end graphics chip, but on the level of editing I deal with it's not a big deal.

But for games, yeah, my custom Windows box for that. Cheaper (since I'm not made of money), and I do enjoy a spot of hardware shopping and assembly. That's where I really need the graphical oomph anyway, and in that space I care more about case function and customization than portability or design.

I'm just glad there's lots of options out there, and I don't begrudge anybody the chance to shop based on their use case.
[doublepost=1475009502][/doublepost]

Uh... I think the only ones calling smartphones and tablets computers are getting worked up because they want the common semantic to fall in a different place than it does.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
It bothers me that in 2016 any modern company would do this. I don't doubt your story. Unfortunately it always comes down to the person you deal with and sometimes you get good, and sometimes you get bad

hopefully, the bad doesn't outweigh the good. And anecdotes fo our good experience unfortunately don't help in yours. I hope whatever options you are left with you end up doing whats right for yourself.

at the end of the day, Apple is just a corporation, and I would rather a person does right by themselves than prop up a company just cause it's logo is a fruit.

Until my latest round of computers, I bought Apple. Now I'm running all non-Macs except a 2012 mac mini as my "iTunes hub". (Solely on a performance/dollar reasoning)

When my Apple products work, they usually work a bit longer than the similar product from another company. I give them that. But when they go wrong, it's a bigger fight from my experience.

I might grab an iPhone 6S here soon... still torn between that and a Note 7 (it is getting close to winter and I could use a pocket warmer ;) really, it comes down to app quality) But the MBP is going to have to check a crap-ton of boxes for me (other than consumer satisfaction) to consider it again.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Until my latest round of computers, I bought Apple. Now I'm running all non-Macs except a 2012 mac mini as my "iTunes hub". (Solely on a performance/dollar reasoning)

When my Apple products work, they usually work a bit longer than the similar product from another company. I give them that. But when they go wrong, it's a bigger fight from my experience.

I might grab an iPhone 6S here soon... still torn between that and a Note 7 (it is getting close to winter and I could use a pocket warmer ;) really, it comes down to app quality) But the MBP is going to have to check a crap-ton of boxes for me (other than consumer satisfaction) to consider it again.

The Note 7 iris scanner and S-pen might be a good idea in really cold weather. Was just thinking how nice it would be to be able to use phone functionality, icnluding unlocking it, without having to take off gloves.

-20c sucks. at that point it's not even worth using anything that requires exposing skin

Reactions: SirRahikkala

HighDesert50

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
The satisfaction survey included iPads. Whereas Apple has maintained a realistic upgrade schedule with the iPads, the OSX environment has languished. Apple did make an innovative macbook to the extent it was a standard by which others were measured. But, what an embarrassment to an institution that once defined innovation in computing that it cannot even maintain a marginal upgrade schedule for its OSX environment.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010

Not because it would make things easier for me, but because it would make it easier for all of us to communicate without having to go around in circles as to what one person means when they say "computer" vs. another.

Again, the OP was being facetious, but can we let go of the (rather apologetic) stance that iPads and iPhones and iWatches are "computers" too?

I mean yes, they are "computers". They "compute". That's a given.

But an iPad/iPhone does not equal a MacBook Pro or a Mac Pro, a specific construct that the term "computer" has been long associated with.

So for the sake of giving everyone context, can we perhaps agree on a "computer" being something that runs a "desktop" OS, not a mobile one?

iPads are tablets, iWatches are "smartwatches", iPhones are "smartphones", iTVs are "set-top boxes", and Macs are computers.

Thus for many, tablets, smartphones, and even smartwatches can replace a computer.

But until all devices mentioned are interchangeable in ALL their functions (unlikely), the term "computer" should refer to something specific.

Last edited:

pentrix2

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
So, practical use means running AutoDesk products? I don't think you're in touch with the average computer user's practical needs.
he never stated "average computer user", he/she was just stating their own usage. i wish folks stopped putting words in other's peoples mouth or rephrasing it to praise their Goddess Apple
[doublepost=1475012836][/doublepost]
Yes, they do. They dig up the components from under ancient Sumerian archeological sites, dust them off, and solder them into shiny aluminum enclosures and sell them for the same price you could buy current parts for from a different OEM.

Over 1000 days and counting on a Mac Pro which wasn't even very good when it was new.
too funny, hahaha

Fosty

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Hmm "Apple edges Samsung" to top the survey? 2013 Mac Pro users must be holding them back.

Last edited:

jlo1158

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2014
West County
cause it's not legal :p technically speaking from the EULA at least ;)

but I concur. To put in perspective

my desktop isn't some amazing super beast. It's a standard Haswell i5-4670 (Why I didn't spend 20 and get the K is worthy of a kick in my ass), 16GB of well timed DDR3 RAM, 2 x 120GB SSD's, 500GB SSD for fast gaming storage, 290x 4gb graphics card, and I've married it to a 34" ultra wide screen 99% sRGB LED LG display (2560x1080).

I paid < $1,500 Canadian. if you want to include all other accesories over the years, like the USB HDMI input, a cheap 2nd display, high end mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse, and the water cooling kit, cause, you know. I CAN. I have only spent ~$2000 total

Find me an actual Apple computer for that with the same or even near equivelant parts and performance.

at the end of the day. you pay Apple premium for Apple design. I don't begrudge anyone who likes it. its simple. easy and does look great. Will it suffice for a lot of people, damn right. But for those of us who actually do look at the price to performance comparisons, versus Price to design, Apple isn't really "the best of the best" in any way.

and I've ranted enough :p

I've got my son’s hand me down Corsair Vengeance C70 case. Inside of it is a liquid cooled 4770, 16 GB superclocker ram, 512GB Samsung 840 pro, EVGA Superclocker 780ti’s in 3 way sli. Currently I'm connected to my Sony 50" 1080p display. My son is using my Sony 55" 4k display. His new setup is a lot better than mine.
My son built it so I'm not sure what it cost. I added 2 of the 780ti’s so that was around $850.
I'm not sure if Apple will release anything this powerful in their new lineup.

Reactions: LordVic

Schwyz

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
a tree
Not surprising at all. iMac is by far the best desktop computer on the market, the MacBook is great, and hopefully new MacBook Pros will continue that trend.

I would add a personal anecdote. I will never forget when Apple replaced a two year old notebook because it broke down for the 4th time. They literally called to say "We're sorry. This isn't the kind of experience we want for our customers."

Then they asked if it would be okay to replace this machine with a brand new one - two generations ahead - and I said... Ah, yeah? Yeah, that would be fine. LOL

Wow! Just curious, when was that?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I really hope that means a wake-up call for Apple. If Samsung has reached this high in user satisfaction, Apple should definitely start focusing more on their Mac lineup if THEY want a high level of user satisfaction.

That's what I'm thinking. With Samsungs poor customer service, especially when it comes to warranty work, Apple being ahead by one point isn't exactly anything special. I would have thought Apple would be well ahead of them.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Wow! Just curious, when was that?

It has been a while. At least five or six years now. Apple was a little better back then, I think. The best part is that I didn't really expect it. In fact, I mailed the computer back for the 4th repair (audio gave out or something) expecting that they would fix it and mail it back. Instead, I got a call from someone in customer relations. I didn't reach out at all other than to setup the repair.

I was simply stunned. It made a big impression.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
he never stated "average computer user", he/she was just stating their own usage. i wish folks stopped putting words in other's peoples mouth or rephrasing it to praise their Goddess Apple

Practical: (adj) of or concerned with the actual doing or use of something rather than with theory and ideas.

Take in his context of stating "iPads do not have a practical use" and the definition of the word practical and you must look at the "average computer user" actually using and doing something daily on these devices. His personal edge case of intensive drafting or modeling packages is in fact an outlier more akin to theory than practical use.

I'm sorry but you can't put your own definition into play to fit your narrative of Apple worshipping zealots.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
That story doesn't pass the smell test. I'm certain you are lying.

I am not lying. Thanks for the accusation though. I've been a customer since the early 2000's and I've bought a lot of computers from Apple. Maybe that played a role, but I can assure you it happened. I had AppleCare, called to setup a repair and shipped the computer back fully expecting they will fix it and return it. Next, I got a call and was offered a new replacement. The one I shipped was about two years old and the lady that called offered a brand new model that just came out. That's the truth.
[doublepost=1475023545][/doublepost]
Looks like you won the Apple lottery.

Hope you do know that with statistics, there are error bars for values (example, plus or minus 5%). That means it's possible Samsung is better according to this survey cause Apple was only 1% better

You are right about the margins of error here. Good point. I also noticed that Acer and others improved significantly. That's something to applaud for sure.

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006

Wow I am so enlightened and thrilled to have 28 computers in my home.

But I didn't stop at this. I was on a mission to find the meaning of the word computer and found the below explaination which means I am a computer, you are a computer, 7 billion computers in the world and some more. (Read the last line from the below definition)

computer
kəmˈpjuːtə/
noun
noun: computer; plural noun: computers
  1. an electronic device which is capable of receiving information (data) in a particular form and of performing a sequence of operations in accordance with a predetermined but variable set of procedural instructions (program) to produce a result in the form of information or signals.
    • a person who makes calculations, especially with a calculating machine.

Reactions: Gwendolini

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
False; a desktop cant be 'best' when it comes shipped with a crippled mobile GPU and some of the worst airflow imaginable, so bad that it has to downthrottle the CPU to save it from overheating; this was confirmed by LinusTechTips in the video below:

I guess saying that a computer is "best" is very subjective. If you want the most muscle, iMac certainly isn't the best. There are faster machines out there. I would say that I personally think the complete package makes the iMac the best desktop, in my option and based on what I consider to be the "best" machine.

I wouldn't buy anything else. At least not at this point in time.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
I would add a personal anecdote. I will never forget when Apple replaced a two year old notebook because it broke down for the 4th time. They literally called to say "We're sorry. This isn't the kind of experience we want for our customers." Then they asked if it would be okay to replace this machine with a brand new one - two generations ahead - and I said... Ah, yeah? Yeah, that would be fine. LOL
What state are you in? I'm wondering if this was a lemon law replacement (which is triggered when something breaks for a 4th time) and you bought the spin hook, line and sinker.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
I guess saying that a computer is "best" is very subjective. If you want the most muscle, iMac certainly isn't the best. There are faster machines out there. I would say that I personally think the complete package makes the iMac the best desktop, in my option and based on what I consider to be the "best" machine.

I wouldn't buy anything else. At least not at this point in time.

It really isn't subjective though. Hardware wise everything is determined by speed. In a desktop where you shouldnt be hindered by restrictions, Apple has done just that; sacrificed a lot in order to make it pretty and thin. They didn't have to.

Reactions: melendezest

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
It really isn't subjective though. Hardware wise everything is determined by speed. In a desktop where you shouldnt be hindered by restrictions, Apple has done just that; sacrificed a lot in order to make it pretty and thin. They didn't have to.
Seriously, I get laptops getting thinner, but, does a non moving stationary desktop really need to sacrifice performance and features, just to be 5cm thinner?

To me, that's an absolutely ridiculous trade off

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Wait, apple said their customer satisfaction rate was 97% I remember.
Now they only have 84%?
Not good at all, not good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.