Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
If people want to speak up for their own needs, let them. Where's the harm in that? "Bitching and whining" might be your old-school way of belittling by making them sound like women and children, but it really only reveals your own insecurity and discomfort with change...

In a strong economy, skilled workers have more leverage and ought to use it. And yes, if they are unhappy with the response, they can and will leave for other opportunities. That's what intelligent, talented and capable people do all the time.
They already spoke up and were told no. That's it. Continuing to bitch and whine and nag hoping they will eventually give in is just childish. Grown ass adults should know that they don't always get what they want.

LawJolla

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
What will eventually happen: Employees who come to work physically will have more opportunities for advancement, those who stay home will be left behind. It will be subtle, but noticeable.
This. Even in "distributed" companies, if there's a home office, those in person do better. No "distributed workforce policy" will prevent two in person coworkers from discussing business in the kitchen, hallways, or lunch.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Sorry no. COVID will be around for a very long time and will have ups and downs as far as infection rates. You can’t have very low numbers, come back, have numbers going higher and go back to WFH. If you don’t want to work at Apple and follow their rules, leave. There may be people who will work at Apple with their rules.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
This year’s WWDC sowcased a complete lack of innovation. Things like the new Safari tabs would have been killed before they would’ve been shown to the public because it’s an utter mess.

Companies like Apple need people in an office in order to function for the full 110%. If you can’t live with that idea Apple might nog be your company. It’s part of Apple’s DNA to be around with others creating great things. Being alone in your home office with your kid running around and cars and dogs making noise won’t help you achieve that.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
Hey Apple updated Messages. Sure it was a year late... but they did it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What did these people do before covid? It’s not like California housing prices just shot up in the last year. And why are they leaking this to the press? That doesn’t seem like a very good way to get Apple leadership to listen to their complaints. ?‍♀️

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
They already spoke up and were told no. That's it. Continuing to bitch and whine and nag hoping they will eventually give in is just childish. Grown ass adults should know that they don't always get what they want.

The "grown ass adults" are the value makers at Apple. They are entitled to complain and demand a more modern flexible work system that many other modern companies are adopting too.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple didn't build that spaceship for it to sit empty. Actually, many large companies are facing the same dilemma. They have all these huge campuses and EEs are working from home very successfully. Also, since EEs can/are allowed to work from home, they are taking their Bay Area salary to lower cost of living states elsewhere.
So if these employees are leaving California for lower cost states then I guess Apple has the right to adjust their salary downward accordingly?

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Sometimes it’s worth looking for smaller companies over those „prestige“ opportunities. I was going to quit my job last February, just before the pandemic hit because I was going to move across the country for private reasons but my boss didn’t want to loose me so I was / am allowed to work from home permanently. I wouldn’t trade it for more money. I went from a 90 minutes commute (1 way) for 4 years, to 3 steps from my bed. Now I finish work around 4:30 pm and I am home! Instead of being home at like 8 pm. Days can be so long, it’s amazing

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I can sympathize with Apple wanting to keep employees on campus to minimize leaks.

My employer is losing a lot of IT employees since announcing that we will be returning to work in September. The IT folks are going to other companies that are allowing permanent work from home.
Well, why stay with an outdated company? I wouldn’t ,too. We have 2021 and not 1821.
Seems like there are better companies to work for there…

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Fire all 10 of these ungrateful lazy fools and anyone else who whines and make examples of them Tim. They just want to wake up at 11, sip some coffee, watch The Price Is Right and daytimes soaps all under the guise of "working from home". They should consider themselves lucky to be employed by Apple and if they don't like it there's the front door.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
I deal with a mix-bag of realities and opinions on this. I have some employees that are phenomenal no matter where they work. Some have improved dramatically while working from home and some obviously need to be in a structured environment and more closely managed. I do know that a lot of people that assess themselves as being "more productive" when working from home are, in fact, not. We have actually had to lower expectations of individual workers across the board and hire more resources to meet our deadlines and deliverables. A lot of companies are going to wrestle with balancing the savings on office overhead vs. the productivity impact of a remote or hybrid workforce. I think "hybrid" actually makes it worse because it maintains some office overhead costs and still introduces productivity impact.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Hers a newsflash disgruntled employees…ready….LEAVE….go find another job instead of trying to change the greatest company on this Earth
You realize the employees are a major facet of what makes a company good or not? Having them leave would almost certainly not make for better products coming out of Apple.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Cry a River. Go to work like everyone else. No, you can’t sit at home and watch your kids. You go to work.
Exactly. Most claiming they’re “more productive” are actually talking about their personal stuff. Not actual work. Millions of people got paid to babysit their kids and go shopping mid day. Not to mention it’s not exactly mentally healthy to be answering emails and working at 11PM after all that. As with everything there are trade offs. Yes high home prices suck, as do long commute times. But most of these people were fine before. It’s becoming a sense of entitlement that’s unfortunately been overwhelming the US lately. The working conditions at Apple are about 100X better than thousands of other companies out there.

Last edited:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Too many people siding with Corporate here.:( I'm with the workers, because I always side with the workers.

Anyhow, the ideal way would be to evaluate each worker individually. If their productivity increased or is the same when they work from home, let them WFH. Those workers who's productivity suffers need to be reigned in and movitivated in the office. Apple decides what constitutes "productivity" in this case, after all, it's their money.
female-manager-acting-as-office-tyrant-vector-id670072602

Commuting sucks. I interviewed for a job (business manager for a Catholic school) that's a 5 minutes walk from home. They asked me why I was willing to take a paycut (1/2 what I'm currently making). Not having to commute is worth it for me. More time with the wife and kids, no more battling traffic 2 hours a day, way better life/work balance...oh hell yeah worth it.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
And they did. And were told no. Just because they didn't like the answer, it doesn't mean they can try and bully Apple until they get what they want.
Unfortunately they can still try to bully apple. One of the faults is that they created a culture of “everyone’s feelings and opinions matter”. Which is fine but many companies are taking it to extremes with all the PC crap going on. The wokeness is coming back to bite them.

On a side note I think it’s hilarious that corporate America has now hijacked the political correct language of the anti corporate people in the public. HAH!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.