Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Ok so I am a developer for iOS, but not for Mac. If I move over to cloud on my iOS devices, will I then loose the availability to sync iCal on my Mac to my iOS devices?

Kind of looks that way, and I use this often. Has anyone out there run into the same issue? Once you migrate to iCloud, is mail and calendars on the web login of mobile me gone?

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Ok so I am a developer for iOS, but not for Mac. If I move over to cloud on my iOS devices, will I then loose the availability to sync iCal on my Mac to my iOS devices?

Kind of looks that way, and I use this often. Has anyone out there run into the same issue? Once you migrate to iCloud, is mail and calendars on the web login of mobile me gone?

http://download.imodzone.net/#

If you are using lion, and don't wanna upgrade to the beta 10.7.2, then go to that link and download iCloud beta 4. I have been using it flawlessly on 10.7 and I even transitioned my MobileMe account today, zero issues.

No. He said that his iTunes ID associated with every purchase he's made is tied to an email address that has been shut down for a couple years and that there is no way to do anything about it. That's not correct. He can log into iTunes with that ID and change the email address very easily. He can't log in via his newer Apple ID, but he can log in using his old ID and have email associated with purchases sent to his email addresses associated with his newer AppleID.

Personally, this is perfect for me. My wife and I each have our own MobileMe accounts, but share an iTunes account for purchases. Under iCloud, this will allow us to load purchased apps, books, etc onto all of our individual devices and have own own calendar, contact, and email accounts under MobileMe.

This is essentially what I do also. Except why keep your individual mobile me accounts? Use your appleID/ ICloud account for your shared purchases, and then upgrade to your individual ICloud accounts and claim your 25gigs each like i did and enjoy the awesomeness that is iCloud. And to whatever people think, after my transition from MobileMe to cloud, I can still log in and access iDisk and gallery at me.com until mid 2012. The calander, mail, contacts and find my iPhone don't work, and just simply say they have been transferred to iCloud. All else works still.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
I wonder if the rules not migrating means at they will need to be setup again in icloud, or if there is no way to use rules in MobileMe..?

If there are no rules available in MobileMe, then I am going to have to move to gmail or some such...

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'll really miss Keychain sync. I have loads of Secure Notes that I update regularly, and it's so nice to see them updated across my Macs. Time to look for an alternative :mad:

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
I'm going to miss Keychain and mail rules/signatures the most as that was extremely handy when upgrading/rebuilding/replacing my Macs. Why is something like this being removed? It's not like it takes up GB's of space. Two steps forward three steps back if you ask me.

These features make running multiple Macs sooooo much easier. Seriously, I don't understand what Apple is thinking here. Losing keychain and mail rules/sigs makes a Mac harder to use. What gives, Apple?

dieselpower44

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Apple is really disappointing me lately. It would take up hardly any space to sync a tiny database of mail accounts, keychains, dock items etc. Sounds to me like Apple can't figure out how to do it properly so it's not that they won't, it's that they can't.

It's not difficult to sync stuff like that if there's no rollbacks/backups saved - just one version. I'd be happy with that!

Even just like a button in iCloud preference pane that said "push my keychain/accounts/dockItems to iCloud" and then on your other computers you click a button that says "pull my stuff from iCloud". Like Xmarks but not just for bookmarks. Simples.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I bet keychain syncing and some of the other features come back at a later date. It would be neat if Apple moved to a Lastpass-type platform for passwords.

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Glad to see I'm not the only one finding that iCloud sucks compared to MobileMe or .Mac or iTools. I find it's a step back with less functionality than MobileMe. I will miss iDisk (ok, guess Dropbox can replace it), but I will also miss mail account sync, keychain sync, don't know about notes (sync?). I guess I'll get used to it.

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
to me, gallery is the most important part of mobile me...
I could still find similar service to replace iWeb hosting and iDisk as well, but for gallery, neither flickr nor photobucket could offer the same experience.

Starhawk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
It's not like I really want to merge anything. My paid content is associated with a non-MobileMe Apple ID. My MobileMe account is simply used for email and syncing. I want my iCloud identity to be my iTunes ID and instead of creating a new MobileMe address, I'd like to use my existing one. This doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

Im in the same boat.

If Apple doesn't offer any way to fix this, my worst case scenario plan is to just cancel my Mobile Me account to free up the username and then try to grab that name again when I upgrade my gmail Apple ID with all of my purchases on it.

The Norman

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I'm thinking that Apple will make enough of the iCloud APIs will be available that all of our precious MobileMe features will quickly be replaced in one or both of the app stores by various third party developers.
for instance, DropBox could make an app for OS X and one for iOS which uses our iCloud storage space, but remains seamless between the apps.
This would also apply to Keychain apps, Photo gallery apps, etc.
It would, of course, lock out other operating systems, but that is almost always one of Apple's goals.
I think this is exciting and can't wait to see what happens when devs really start to see what they can do with iCloud.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Anyone else's' iCloud backup not working?

The slider is set to Off and is disabled.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
How do I migrate if my developer Apple ID is not the same as my MobileMe Apple ID?

Ok so I've just arrived home from holiday and want to migrate my MobileMe across.

I've already read the complications of separate MobileMe and Apple Store Apple IDs but what if my developer Apple ID is also not a MobileMe one?

When I sign into iCloud with my MobileMe account it says it's not a developer one and therefore cannot migrate yet.

My developer account is associated with my main (non-Apple) email address, always has been. It is the same account that is associated with my iTunes store purchases.

I've tried to change the developer Apple ID email address to my MM one but it doesn't allow me to do it. Nor on iTunes.

Does this mean I'm locked out? A lot of people must be in the same boat.

Bwinski

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
MobileMe to iCloud - MANY users left behind

IF you read thru the dialogue on these pages, you won't see ANYWHERE (actually quite to the contrary) that ALL US USERS that can't move to LION are LEFT OUT.... NO iCLOUD.... NO MIGRATION.... NOTHING.... and as of the end of June 2012..no MobileMe either... we're hosed.

This applies to MILLIONS around the world and seems a bit short-sighted on Apple's part.

sternfalter

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7) AppleWebKit/534.48.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Safari/534.48.3)

Same here....confused

sternfalter

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7) AppleWebKit/534.48.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Safari/534.48.3)

ct2k7 said:
Anyone else's' iCloud backup not working?

The slider is set to Off and is disabled.

Same here...

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
So it appears you will be able to take advantage of both iCloud's 25GB offer to MobileMe users and continue to use MobileMe services scheduled for retirement next June. Bravo, :apple:!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'm just rather irritated that my developer account that has Mac + iOS on it is not considered a developer account on iCloud but my regular Apple ID that is tied to iTunes purchases can create an account no problem.

Anyone else have a problem like this ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.