Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Enables MobileMe to iCloud Migration for Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has enabled the MobileMe.com/move url which allows developers to migrate data from MobileMe to iCloud. If you're not a developer, you'll have to wait. Per 9to5Mac, it allows you to move Mail, Contacts, and Calendar information, but the rest of the data won't be making the move:
Apple lets you take your Mail, Contacts, and Calendar information over to iCloud and also tells users that they can continue using iWeb, iDisk, and Photo Gallery up until June 30, 2012. Apple also tells users that the following will no longer be available: Dashboard widget sync, dock item sync, keychains, signatures, mail account rules, mail smart boxes, and mail preferences.
Non-developer accounts are not yet allowed to migrate their data to iCloud.

Article Link: Apple Enables MobileMe to iCloud Migration for Developers

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
If we have a separate AppleID for purchases that we have used for iCloud, can the MobileMe email address now be migrated over?

Comment

sam011989

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
does it matter if we're only a developer for one platform? their website makes it seem like you need to be a developer for iOS AND Mac. If we migrate, will it really matter if we're not a Mac developer?

Comment

rsbagga

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
iDisk

iDisk will be what I miss the most. :( Is dropbox the closest alternative? Nothing else I can think of has the same functionality - I actually use iDisk for my company. Maybe I should just go ahead and make the transition now (sigh)....:(

Comment

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
iDisk will be what I miss the most. :( Is dropbox the closest alternative? Nothing else I can think of has the same functionality - I actually use iDisk for my company. Maybe I should just go ahead and make the transition now (sigh)....:(

Apple will probably offer some method of directly using that 5GB, especially since you can buy more space, so I wouldn't give up hope. Dropbox is very good till that happens.

Comment

Aniday

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Poor iDisk... >.> Stupid of Apple to get rid of it.

I'd sooner buy a tower as a server and open an FTP than use Dropbox.

Comment

rckstwrz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Nooooooooooo!

iDisk is DEAD!?!???? NO!!!

There is no other product that always works like iDisk! :(

:'(

Is that a joke? iDisk is horrible. I've lost so much data due to "sync conflicts" through iDisk. Sign up for Dropbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

lhawkins

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2006
Apple will probably offer some method of directly using that 5GB, especially since you can buy more space, so I wouldn't give up hope. Dropbox is very good till that happens.

I've had a Mobile Me account since it was iTools, and I'd still have to say that Dropbox has been better in every way. It is far more integrated into the Mac OS and as an additional side-benefit it works great on Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS. I hope Apple can do something along these lines even better than Dropbox, but I won't be holding my breath.

Comment

PeterM11

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2009
Seriously, is there not going to be anyway at all for people with separate iTunes accounts and MobileMe accounts to finally merge the two? I've never bought anything on the iTunes account linked to MobileMe. I just want to use my @me.com address with the iTunes account I already have all my purchases on. Is that really so much to ask for???

Comment

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
so what happens to those who have paid?

What's happening to MobileMe?
The core services provided by MobileMe have been rewritten to work seamlessly with iCloud. MobileMe will no longer be available as a paid sync service. If you had an active MobileMe account as of June 6, 2011, your service has been extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, the MobileMe service will no longer be available.

Can I cancel my MobileMe subscription and receive a refund?
You can cancel your service at any time and receive a prorated refund for the unused portion of your paid subscription. The free extension will not be included in the proration. When you cancel, all MobileMe services, including mail and syncing of contacts and calendars, will stop working, and your data will be removed from MobileMe.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
For me, iDisk has always been painfully slow. I mean REALLY bad. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe my account had always been screwed up. I don't know. But as a lover of the majority of Apple's products, I think iDisk sucks. Dropbox is much better on speed and some tasks. It was nice how iDisk was integrated into the OS so well, but like I said, doesn't matter if its too slow.

I think if you buy extra iCloud storage, you should be able to use it how you want. I plan to purchase more as the 5GB I have on my account right now isn't even big enough to back up my iPhone, much less my iPad! We should at least get 5GB free per device. Otherwise it's kind of pointless. I'm going to have to get at least 25GB though, but I am a fairly heavy user with lots of app data. I think iTunes 11 will include a lot of iCloud functionality in it's rumored complete overhaul that is likely to come later next month.

Comment

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
I'm going to miss Keychain and mail rules/signatures the most as that was extremely handy when upgrading/rebuilding/replacing my Macs. Why is something like this being removed? It's not like it takes up GB's of space. Two steps forward three steps back if you ask me.

Comment

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Wow I knew I was loosing iDisk & iWeb but I didn't know they were dropping mail accounts, rules, keychains sync etc that's a massive part of being a multi-Mac user as you setup 1 Mac and the rest are done for you, that's a huge step back, more like a PC!

I second the Dropbox, it's exactly what iDisk should have been, pity the upgrades are expensive than MobileMe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Totally bummed about iDisk. I can't can't believe that they won't take our money and they're going to make us give it to DropBox...

And I'm minorly bummed about the keychain syncing.

Gallery (which I've never jumped onto) being gone pretty much ensures I'm giving some money to Flickr every year.

In the end, I think this is still going to cost me $100+ a year. Flickr, DropBox, iTunes match and some extra iCloud space. But I think overall, it'll be better (at least for me).

Gary

Comment

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Okay im kinda confused. I have been using a temp iCloud account since I couldn't transition from MobileMe, and have enjoyed the free 5 gigs. Upon completing my MobileMe transition right now, my New account is listed as the 25 gig plan. I know 100% I didn't select or pay for it. Maybe apple is comping us with a paid MobileMe subscription with an upgraded plan? No lie.

Comment

PeterM11

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2009
Okay im kinda confused. I have been using a temp iCloud account since I couldn't transition from MobileMe, and have enjoyed the free 5 gigs. Upon completing my MobileMe transition right now, my New account is listed as the 25 gig plan. I know 100% I didn't select or pay for it. Maybe apple is comping us with a paid MobileMe subscription with an upgraded plan? No lie.

Just read an article on 9to5mac that says exactly that. Apparently MobileMe users are getting a free 20GB when they transfer.

Comment

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Just read an article on 9to5mac that says exactly that. Apparently MobileMe users are getting a free 20GB when they transfer.

Pretty stoked! wonder how long its gonna last? It would be too good to be true if it was for life.

Comment

Simmias

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
I'm disappointed that iCloud still uses the embarrassing "@me.com" e-mail domain. As people have often pointed out, it is just not professional and sounds very self-centered. I hoping they will offer an @icloud.com e-mail at launch.

Comment

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Just migrated. Should be an interesting beta test. My developer and MobileMe Apple IDs aren't the same, but after redirecting me to Mail several times it finally gave me the transfer page.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.