Apple Encouraging Chrome and Firefox Users to Try Safari After Installing Yosemite

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Chrome and Firefox users that install OS X Yosemite are receiving notifications suggesting they give Safari a try, according to multiple reports on Twitter (via Tom Davenport). After upgrading to Yosemite, Apple is sending popups that read "Try the new Safari. Fast, energy efficient, and with a beautiful new design."

The interactive notification comes with "Later" and "Try Now" options, and it seems that users may be receiving the messages when opening Chrome or Firefox for the first time after installing the operating system update.

[​IMG]
    Apple made several updates to Safari in OS X Yosemite, including adding a new "blazing-fast [Nitro] JavaScript engine" and energy saving technologies to make Safari both faster and more energy efficient. According to Apple, Safari is significantly faster than both Firefox and Chrome, a claim that was tested by CNET and received mixed results.

[​IMG]
    Safari did better on Apple's JetStream and Speedometer benchmarks that measure JavaScript performance, and it also outperformed Chrome and Firefox using JSBench, but CNET's testing saw it perform worse on Google's Octane benchmark and Mozilla's Kraken benchmark.

The new Safari 8 did demonstrate significant improvements over Safari 7, scoring 81 percent better on JetStream and 89 percent better on Speedometer, suggesting Apple has indeed made some major under-the-hood improvements to the browser.

Along with speed improvements, Safari gained some new security features, including DuckDuckGo support and isolated Private Browsing windows that allow users to have a non-private browsing window open at the same time as a private browsing window. The browser also continues to offer third-party cookie blocking, malware monitoring, and sandboxing for websites.

Safari received a complete visual overhaul in OS X Yosemite, introducing a new streamlined look that does away with the favorites bar by default and a revamped Tab View that displays all open tabs in a tiled arrangement, much like iOS.

[​IMG]
    Safari has also benefitted from Handoff, a Continuity feature that allows users to open a webpage on a Mac and seamlessly continue browsing on an iOS device (or vice versa), and the browser natively supports Netflix, providing two extra hours of battery life when watching movies or TV shows.

Built into OS X Yosemite, Safari 8 is automatically installed alongside the new operating system. Released on October 16, Yosemite is estimated to be installed on approximately 20 percent of Macs at this point in time.

Article Link: Apple Encouraging Chrome and Firefox Users to Try Safari After Installing Yosemite

2. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

I haven't used Firefox in like 3 years. Safari is just snappy.

3. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Safari needs more extension support and a GUI that doesn't look like I'm using an iPad.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have always preferred safari. I wish I could use it on my android phone :(

5. Larry-K macrumors 68000

6. powertoold macrumors 6502

I tried to use Safari when I upgraded to Yosemite, but the menus froze and overall the experience still wasn't as good as Firefox.

7. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

8. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

9. MacOSXI macrumors member

10. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Couldn't agree more, Safari on Yosemite is truly something else. It's also the most efficient and plays great with iOS devices, why even use those crap alternatives?

11. DarkCole macrumors regular

DarkCole

I honestly love Safari and it's my go-to browser.

12. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

It does have extension support..... lol

13. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

No more cheeky that Google doing the same for Chrome from their homepage.

14. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

What do people use Chrome extensions for? I never could understand, esp. since Safari has extension options.

15. HeyHeyHeyy macrumors member

16. Tubebaum macrumors newbie

I've officially stopped using Chrome. Safari has Adblock Plus now and is insanely fast. Not to mention that Chrome unnecessarily activates the dedicated video card on my MacBook, such a power hog. The new Safari is just too good.

17. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

...and yet i'm still asked to download Silverlight for Netflix on Safari in Yosemite.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Any benchmark is going to favor the browser maker.

19. CrazyForApple macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

Nice move, But I will never use anything other than Safari anyways. Safari for life!

20. bushido Suspended

bushido

i think thats the point

21. jlasoon macrumors 6502a

Same here, went right back to Firefox.

22. Freyqq macrumors 601

Also, if Chrome or Firefox is your default browser, when you open safari the next time it will ask if you want to make safari your default.

Honestly, it felt a little low for Apple. If I want to make safari my default, I'll do it without apple begging me to change over.

23. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

I used to hate Safari but it's now my browser of choice on my Macs and has been since last years revamp. I never thought I'd ever say that!

24. 435713, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2016

435713 macrumors 6502a

When I tried Yosemite I will vouch that Safari seemed pretty good.

25. tjskywasher macrumors newbie

Yes you can.