Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today held its first event of 2021, and it was one of the most exciting events that we've seen in some time. Apple announced a whole slew of new products, including an M1 iMac, an M1 iPad Pro, a refreshed 4K Apple TV, and the long-awaited AirTags.

It took Apple an hour to introduce all of the new devices during its virtual "Spring Loaded" event, but we've recapped all of the announcements in just six minutes for our readers who want a quick but thorough overview of what's new. We've also included all of our event coverage below for those who may have missed something.
iPad Pro

AirTag

iMac

iPhone

Apple TV

Podcasts

iOS 14.5

Other Announcements

Related Coverage

Make sure to stay tuned to MacRumors this week, as we'll have in-depth coverage of all of Apple's announcements as new tidbits and features are discovered. We'll also have hands-on content and reviews in the weeks to come.

Article Link: Apple Event 2021: Everything Apple Announced at Its 'Spring Loaded' Event in Just 6 Minutes

Last edited:

macsareveryinteresting

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2020
Colorado Springs
Personally, my favorite part was the iPad Pro. It is literally god now. 5G, M1 CPU, 2TB capacity choice, Centerstage feature, and a lot more. I am also happy about the Airtags and the new redesigned podcasts app. But the iMac design is horrible. If they just upgraded the iMac and left it be, I would be perfectly fine with the new iMac. Apple Card Family seems like a pretty cool feature too. But it could be 9 and up, not 13 and up. And why is Apple making us wait another week for 14.5? Everyone thought the update would be released today.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
My favorite announcement today was from Capture One. Their beta released today officially supports Apple Silicon and Metal!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The biggest surprise for me was the iPad with up to 16GB of RAM. What are they working on for iPad OS in secret?? Hoping for a full version of macOS mode when using keyboard/mouse. Or maybe something hybrid? Though macOS keeps feeling more like iPad/iOS.

The second biggest surprise for me is how bold the iMac colors are. I was worried we’d get more pastel BS.

The third biggest surprise is the Apple TV color calibration with the iPhone stuff. Such a good idea and instantly makes everyone’s TV look better.

My biggest disappointment is the fact that the new Apple TV remote doesn’t work with Find My. Like, for real Apple?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Great:
- Colour returns to iMacs!
- Matching accessories
- Touch ID desktop keyboards
- M1 in iPads
- MiniLED debuts

Good:
- Redesigned Siri remote with click wheel
- Thread support in Apple TV
- HDMI 2.1 in Apple TV
- Colour balance in Apple TV
- AirTags finally (water resistant, long lasting user replaceable battery, customisable is cute)
- Ted Lasso in July!
- Redesigned Podcast app
- I guess we are waiting for bigger iMacs until we have M1X/M2

Meh:
- Purple iPhone
- Podcast Subscriptions
- Apple Card still US only
- Nothing new on the HomeKit front
- I guess we are not getting a new pencil...?
- ...or AR finding in Find My?

WTF:
- ZERO gaming story for Apple TV. None. It's dead Jim
- No Spatial Audio in new Apple TV???
- No U1 in redesigned remote

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I think I'm gonna snag a 4 pack of air tags as a new toy and then hopefully splash cash on a 14" MacBook Pro this summer.

Tempted to get an iPad Pro but I need a new laptop more at this point. Still rocking a 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Anyone love the throwback wallpaper to Mac OS Cheetah/Puma?

Attachments

• 10-0_10.1--thumb.png
    10-0_10.1--thumb.png
    633.7 KB · Views: 86

iGüey

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2020
Mexico City
Personally, my favorite part was the iPad Pro. It is literally god now. 5G, M1 CPU, 2TB capacity choice, Centerstage feature, and a lot more. I am also happy about the Airtags and the new redesigned podcasts app. But the iMac design is horrible. If they just upgraded the iMac and left it be, I would be perfectly fine with the new iMac. Apple Card Family seems like a pretty cool feature too. But it could be 9 and up, not 13 and up. And why is Apple making us wait another week for 14.5? Everyone thought the update would be released today.
No doubt every head is a different world. As opposite to you, I liked the new iMacs very much, I think that its slim and skinny design worth along with M1 chip well worth the buy.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
That was one of their best events they've done in a long long time. I don't actually plan on buying anything in here other than probably airbags (but the biggest thing I want them for, aside from keys is glasses, so that doesn't solve everything yet) but it means that what I want (a better bigger iMac, and the 14 inch MacBook pro and maybe new MacBook airs with similar colors down the road) are probably coming. iPad's got even better, and apple TV finally got a good remote. Purple iPhone is nice too, though I'm fine with my SE. Switching to their silicon really seems to have added a spring to their step.

Oh yeah, and the new keyboards with touch id? nice job! (I'll still use my mechanical keyboard for long writing sessions, but it's nice to have everything look the same.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Why is it that over the years when tile came out I really didn't have need for it and now when Apple releases Airtags I am finding things I can stick that thing on and it'll actually make my life easier in some aspects. o_O Apple, just take my money already!

maxfromdenmark

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Copenhagen
Great:
- Colour returns to iMacs!
- Matching accessories
- Touch ID desktop keyboards
- M1 in iPads
- MiniLED debuts

Good:
- Redesigned Siri remote with click wheel
- Thread support in Apple TV
- HDMI 2.1 in Apple TV
- Colour balance in Apple TV
- AirTags finally (water resistant, long lasting user replaceable battery, customisable is cute)
- Ted Lasso in July!
- Redesigned Podcast app
- I guess we are waiting for bigger iMacs until we have M1X/M2

Meh:
- Purple iPhone
- Podcast Subscriptions
- Apple Card still US only
- I guess we are not getting a new pencil...?
- ...or AR finding in Find My?

WTF:
- ZERO gaming story for Apple TV. None. It's dead Jim
- No Spatial Audio in new Apple TV???
- No U1 in redesigned remote

Correct me if I’m wrong but spatial audio is something about speakers so Apple TV stand-alone can’t help with it. You got already spatial audio in Apple TV with AirPods or even Dolby Atoms with HomePods.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Here is my honest take; and you won’t agree but it’s my opinion; apple has lost everything that used to make it great, all the updates are minor, the airtags I don’t see the point, Apple TV has a way old chip and nothing really new still over priced, the new iMac is well in my opinion disgusting it looks like a Lenovo all in one, it now makes the old one look nicer, the new one just looks like a kids computer now. The iPad Pro is kinda cool but again all this power and hardware just to run iOS apps there is nothing my 2018 can’t run on it so what’s the point, am I missing something but where is the wow factor gone; as usual the hype before an event is always a lot better, about spend to much time talking about climate change in these events, I am upset because a company I love has gone so down hill; yeah they make a lot of money but speaking from a huge apple fan I just don’t get excited anymore; anyways respect my views

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Why is it that over the years when tile came out I really didn't have need for it and now when Apple releases Airtags I am finding things I can stick that thing on and it'll actually make my life easier in some aspects. o_O Apple, just take my money already!
Because AirTags integrate into the ecosystem you already know and love in the most frictionless way possible.

And they seem so much thinner than Tiles. ;)

Reactions: iLLUMI

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Correct me if I’m wrong but spatial audio is something about speakers so Apple TV stand-alone can’t help with it. You got already spatial audio in Apple TV with AirPods or even Dolby Atoms with HomePods.
You are partially correct. HomePods yes, AirPods no. With a U1 chip the Apple TV could know where it was in relation to the APs. Yes, you'd still have to manually let it know where it was in relation to the screen, but that's not going to vary much from setup to setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.