Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will hold another digital event on November 17 to announce its first Apple Silicon powered Macs, according to frequent leaker Jon Prosser.

applesilicon.jpg

Apple has already said that this year it intends to introduce the first Mac powered by an Apple Silicon chip instead of an Intel processor. One thing it hasn't revealed is the date it will be announced. According to Prosser's source, that date is November 17. "You should see this confirmed with an announcement on Tuesday, November 10," added Prosser in a followup tweet.

Another known unknown is which Mac model will feature the first custom Arm-based Mac processors. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has said it will be a notebook, but rumors have conflicted on whether it will be a new 13-inch MacBook Pro, a new MacBook Air, or a revived 12-inch MacBook.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes the 13-inch ‌MacBook Pro‌ and ‌MacBook Air‌ will be updated with Apple Silicon chips before the end of 2020, while Chinese language newspaper The China Times claimed the first Apple Silicon Mac will be a new variant of the 12-inch Retina MacBook weighing less than one kilogram (2.2lbs) and with a battery life between 15 and 20 hours.

Whichever models arrive first, rumors suggest the A14X chip will be in the first Apple Silicon Mac. Apple's first Mac processors are said have 12 cores, including eight high-performance cores and at least four energy-efficient cores, according to Bloomberg. Apple is said to be exploring Mac processors with more than 12 cores for further in the future, with the company already designing a second generation of Mac processors based on the A15 chip.

Lastly, it's worth bearing in mind that Prosser has been hit and miss with his recent Apple leaks, sometimes making accurate claims and other times relying on misinterpreted information from his sources or revising his predictions after the fact. However, Bloomberg has previously said that Apple is planning to unveil Apple Silicon Macs in November, perhaps at a November event or via a press release, so there could be substance to Prosser's latest claim.

Article Link: Apple Event to Unveil First Apple Silicon Macs Could Happen on November 17

Last edited:

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I have to say I like having shorter events, like the September one, instead of having less of them packed with announcement that last for a couple of hours.
The first Apple Silicon Mac deserves its own event, I'm glad they didn't announce it last week together with the new iPhone. And it give them more time to get ready for Big Sur, I don't want another Catalina

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I was hoping for an iMac. It is long due for an update. I am waiting for it to replace mine.

The 27" iMac was just updated in August no? But I agree, its awaiting a long needed design refresh. I'd love to see this rumoured 23-24" iMac with the iPad Pro like design.

Reactions: fourthtunz

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I doubt they will be fan-less. In order to have very high performance, the chips still needs cooling.

Hopefully they’re much cooler running and less fan-happy than the current Intel models, though.

My MacBook Pro’s fan cranks up every time I run “Hearthstone”, but the same game runs great on an iPad with very little heat and no fan.

Reactions: JDGwf

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
rumors have conflicted on whether it will be a new 13-inch MacBook Pro, a new MacBook Air, or a revived 12-inch MacBook.

finally fan-less macs, here i come

I'm in the fan-less fanboy camp, and I believe it will indeed be the revived 12-inch MacBook.

It will make a statement that Apple is going to seriously revolutionize the personal computer yet again.

(Edit: I forgot to mention the new Apple Silicon 42" iMac that will launch alongside the new Apple Silicon 12" MacBook.)

Last edited:

jlua

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
The 27" iMac was just updated in August no? But I agree, its awaiting a long needed design refresh. I'd love to see this rumoured 23-24" iMac with the iPad Pro like design.
True. But the update was relatively minimal, and only to the 27" model (I have the 21.5" one). Besides that, at this point, I don't understand why they still come out with more Intel-based updates, when they have already announced an upcoming change to a -presumably better- architecture and design around the corner.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
ARM Macs would be a great chance to introduce the Mac. Apple has been getting very non Apple of late with naming. Just have a lineup that is Mac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro. I don't know why we need Air in the line up and iMac... every Mac is a iMac now. Since we are getting into daft numbers for iPhone and iPad, they can be renamed Apple Phone and Apple Pad. I would love to see the clean line up from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.