Apple Exchanging Some 2012 and Early 2013 MacBook Pros Needing Battery Service With Newer Models [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2017.

1. mattv99 macrumors newbie

I got my battery replaced for free. First visit in AS at the end of October. I left it again on Wednesday before Christmas and one week later it was ready. After getting it back, I used battery health app - I got 98% capacity with 0 cycles and... date of manufacturing January 19th 2017 - I thought that if there is constant shortage for last 8-9 months, I will get something more fresh. Anyway I am happy to get it for free.

2. cflem macrumors regular

cflem

Welp, mine just went "Service Battery" on me... I wonder what my options are...

3. thatsteez macrumors newbie

Same. Have you tried anything?

Wonder what the deal is if you're out of warranty.

4. treimche macrumors member

Good luck. Apple did nothing for me. I was told it would be $199 to repair mine. Others have somehow got free batteries. Maybe its a matter of complaining enough to them?

Hopefully with the iPhone battery debacle, they will be more lenient on other products with bad batteries too.

5. mattv99 macrumors newbie

In my case I had to agree first with paying the fee for the battery replacement and leaving the laptop for 3 weeks. Only after the Genius Guy got an offer on his iPad that if I wait for the moment when batteries will be back in stock, I get mine for free. It was back in October when batteries were supposed to be available not easier than in mid November.

6. dasgut macrumors newbie

I had a similar experience last week. I was told I could get a replacement for $199, or wait until an ambiguous date in February for them call back when the battery is back in stock & they'd do the replacement for free.

Have other people been quoted the same waiting time?

7. NachoSH macrumors newbie

Yes, same here. Genius told me to wait about 6-8 weeks from 18th December. So it means mid February...

8. Tech198 macrumors G5

Replacing with newer models "automatically" just doesn't sound right regardless.

Its like saying "i'm getting a Touchbar based Macbook but i have no intention of using it at all ever."

Apple has to do what it has to do, but still.

9. William Forrest macrumors newbie

William Forrest

--- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    See my 23 Dec. post. In early December was given a January date for a new 'battery', but my machine was kaput by then. That caused me to blow my top, and I called MyApple, asked for a supervisor, and convinced the supervisor to hook me up with a Customer Service person. I have a direct phone number and email address for this person. He's the one that decided Apple should give me a new 15" Macbook Pro. I agreed with him. The new machine is nice, though I had to suffer through some 'High Sierra' problems, which hopefully are in the past.