Apple Exchanging Some 2012 and Early 2013 MacBook Pros Needing Battery Service With Newer Models [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2017.

1. CRD90 macrumors member

To follow up, after speaking with the store manager (and I said very little tbh, barely even started pleading my case) they decided to revise their decision and I managed to get a brand new 2015 model! Happy outcome for me! :D

2. KPandian1 macrumors 6502a

Very good! 2015 ... even better!!

What specs did you get?

3. vannix macrumors member

Just got "the call". Dropped on the 29th, and today is ready, my rmbp mid 2012 got new battery, new screen, new logic board + gpu for 209€.
    So it is real... no more shortages, super fast support!

4. pposthoorn macrumors member

Lol, so they basically put your sdd into a new laptop?
    Why did you get a new logic board?

5. vannix macrumors member

Yeah, so no Time Machine hassle ahaha
    Because my GPU was faulty, the apple test was running fine without finding the problem, but I recorded a video in the past showing the artifacts, and I was able to replicate the issue in the Apple Store, so they agreed to replace for free the GPU even if not showing in the test report, and out of repair program terms
    I think because the graphic chip is embedded into the logic board

6. 33coe macrumors member

33coe

I had the same issue and ended up with a 2017. I actually got free dongles for any ports that were on my old 2012 Retina. That logic is terrible though, why give away a brand new laptop for a few hundred dollars of dongle sales?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2017 ---
    Damn... I’m jealous. I was lucky enough to get the base 2017 model but really wanted 512gb, I would have absolutely paid the extra to get the $2800 model.

7. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

It was said tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps I should have added a graphic displaying my tongue, firmly pressed into my cheek. Text really doesn't work as well as face to face communication... Anywho, that's pretty interesting about the free dongles. How'd you manage that?

8. Andrew_I macrumors newbie

Can Confirm the replacement program has ended. Went in on the 26th and was asked to drop it off. Had back it up first and finally dropped it off on Sunday and the genius guessed it was a 50/50 shot they would call saying it would take longer than expected and replace it. Picked up my original 2012 with new battery, keyboard, and track pad for $199. I didn't put up much of a fight and didn't want to be a jerk about it but put my foot down when they tried to add on a extra $100 labor charge that the first genius did not mention.

9. ProBowie macrumors newbie

ProBowie

Went yesterday in hopes of something good happening. Well, the good that happened was they said the ship times were short for the top case which included keyboard and battery. Also said they would replace my display for free because of the anti-glare wearing off. So no $200 new MacBook pro, but my mid-2012 retina still rocks! ... and now it rocks with a facelift.

10. gatoruiz1, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017

gatoruiz1 macrumors newbie

I was one of the lucky ones that was able to meet the deadline before they stopped the program. Below are my details and how my case ended. Thank you Macrumors! If it wasn't for you, I would have not known about this program.

Date of appointment: Tuesday July 25th 12:45 pm CDT
    Took credit card info: Wednesday July 26th 3:26 pm CDT
    Credit Card Charged (replacement shipped?): Saturday July 29th
    Replacement picked up (or rejected): August 4th 3:40 pm
    Replacement Model: A1707
    Apple online repair status: No info available
    Original model: Mid 2012 2.6i7/16gb/512gb

11. tivoboy macrumors 68040

well, got the call today (1 week later from appt.) that my battery, keyboard and top case were IN and ready to be installed..

Really was hoping for replacement laptop, and/or free battery, but what to do now? don't really want to pay the 199$ just for the battery..would probably sell the unit and buy a new 2017 model in that case.

12. 33coe macrumors member

33coe

I just asked if ports counted as “equal specs” and they offered me the equivalent dongles for free. I felt kind of bad getting dongles on top of a brand new 2017 so I turned down the thunderbolt 2 adapter since I never used that. I mostly just needed USB A, HDMI, and the occasional SD card.

13. dlondon macrumors 6502

Any update on why your battery is delayed? I see other people, who ordered after you, seem to be getting their battery. I haven't heard from Apple yet about my battery which was meant to be ready on Thursday (I haven't had the time to call them either).

14. simonb76 macrumors member

I had a phone call on Thursday from my local store to say that the replacement top shell with keyboard/battery has arrived so I dropped the laptop off that day and they said 5-7 days return time.

15. dlondon macrumors 6502

I was told to expect a call within 3-5 days when they had my device for testing. I was told when collecting my device that I would get an email telling me to come in to drop it off for repair. Neither has happened. A part of me was hoping I would get a call telling me it would be September as I might then be eligible for a replacement device (I took my device in before the deadline). Having said that, I don't mind having the battery replaced for free (as long as they sort out the heat issue I have had since I replaced the logic board last year).

16. treimche macrumors member

So of course my service battery warning came back on recently. It was on a couple times in the past but went away. I really don't want to spend any money on my 2012 MBP, but thinking I may try and see if they would swap the battery for free? Think it may be worth a shot? Are there any other items that they would change? It has imprints of the keys on the screen and random restarting issues also.

17. Andyf66 macrumors newbie

Andyf66

I'm in exactly the same position- service battery showing for about a week. I'm off to the Covent Garden London store in a couple of hours to see what I can negotiate.

18. simonb76 macrumors member

You should get a free battery replacement as i was told it sits under the "UK consumer act" or something which the guy said to me when I was at the Apple Store last week. Good luck.

And if needed they might swap the logic board and screen under other replacement programs if needed.

19. treimche macrumors member

Are those items still covered even though the repair extensions appear to be over?

20. simonb76 macrumors member

Yes I took mine in at the end of July after the deadline and they said they'd replace the top shell for free. Not sure about the rest of the world but in the U.K. Apple Store I went in they said it was a free replacement. I'm still gutted I didn't take it in before the 25th July but hey ho.

21. Josiah.Diaz macrumors newbie

Josiah.Diaz

I took my laptop to Power Mac Center (an authorized apple service provider) here in the Philippines and after a week they called me and told that my laptop will be undergoing an isolation process (I don't know this one even though they explained it) and told me an estimate of the price of the battery.

I think I have no hope for a replacement, even for a free battery replacement :(

22. dlondon macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, when was the top case ordered and when did it arrive? I've just called the store and there's still no date when it is due in (originally told 3 August).

23. simonb76 macrumors member

First appointment 31st July - battery check done at the Bar.
    Dropped the laptop off Thursday 3rd.
    Just received an email to say laptop is ready to pick up - Monday 7th.

24. dlondon macrumors 6502

I went in on 25th, decision to replace battery made on 29th, told the battery would be in on 3rd but not yet arrived.

25. Luc.33, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

Luc.33 macrumors newbie

Here is my story:

28/07: Appointment at Genius Bar Apple Fairview.
    Test battery => "service mode".
    Computer crash an additional test repeat for the logic board card => need to change.
    After 1:30 past at the counter, then negotiation, Apple offers me to change the logic board card for free. I would have a payment only for the battery. Supply of the part provided on 08/08.

04/08: The part is available for repair.

05/08: removal of the macbook Pro

07/08: Macbook pro repairs, but keyboard English and not French. I ask to open a complaint. Apple orders a new keyboard and must call me when the part is available, with full support for Apple's repair costs.

Wait and see...

26. simonb76 macrumors member

Got my 2013 back last night - new battery inside, keyboard feels a bit different and the track pad is more bouncy. Feels like new which is nice.