Apple Exchanging Some 2012 and Early 2013 MacBook Pros Needing Battery Service With Newer Models [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2017.

1. fompsweeva macrumors newbie

I was told July 25th to come back for a free battery replacement on August 8th. Did that today and said I'd have to come back after Sept 15th to get the free battery.

I wasn't satisfied with that response and they have now booked me in for replacement/ordered the part and will email me when it arrives.

2. szoftos macrumors newbie

wow, so there is hope. I was told that I'll get a call when my battery arrives, that was more than a week ago. I think maybe it's time to be a jerk about it.

3. fompsweeva macrumors newbie

I should clarify, when I say "booked in for replacement" I mean the battery, not the computer. I feel like my chances of getting a new mac are none at this point.

4. szoftos macrumors newbie

just riding the bus from apple kudamm here in berlin, got a fresh battery + speaker replacement (the latter was defective too) for €228. I'm semi-satisfied

5. snowcamo macrumors newbie

snowcamo

I just saw this thread after doing some applecare battery replacement research. I wonder if they will have a shortage of 2015 Macbook Pro batteries anytime in the future. I would love an upgrade to a 2017 and my 2015 is below 80% :)

6. dlondon macrumors 6502

I don't want to seem ungrateful but I feel like one of the unlucky ones. I took my device in before the change in policy but the genius insisted they took the MacBook in for testing. Several days later I was offered a free battery replacement only. My device has been running hot ever since the logic board was replaced last year. They suggested that the new thermal paste being used when putting my device back together would solve the problems. They ran tests after the topcase was installed and they found no errors. Today my device is as hot as it was previously - reaching 42-48 degrees celsius on the top part of the keyboard using an infrared thermometer. Is this normal?

7. treimche macrumors member

I'd be very happy with a free battery replacement!

8. dlondon macrumors 6502

Me too - if they had fixed the heat issue! Sure, I was a little bit gutted that others were getting a new machine but more so because I was thinking the heat issue would definitely be resolved if the entire computer was replaced!

I had taken the device in after the logic board was replaced last year and I was told it was fine because they're software said it was. I knew the device wasn't the same as it was but I was planning to buy a new model anyway (although I didn't due to the maximum 16GB RAM in the 2016/17 models). It's a bit of a joke in the office when I bring my MacBook Pro to work due to the fan noise. The battery still drains quickly due to the overheating/fans. Plus I can't use on lap (I know what Apple says about using on laps but I suspect most people can and do).

I think the battery was offered free of charge due to UK consumer laws (which are a bit grey but allow claims up to 6 years after purchase). If Apple are replacing a number of batteries then arguably it could be seen as there was a faulty part supplied at the time of purchase which has not performed as expected - namely above 80% capacity if less than 1,000 cycles. I think Apple have been generous with their replacement programmes but then you do pay a premium for their products.

9. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

My retina mid 2012 its good:
    Health Information:

Cycle Count: 31

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 12467

10. qricth macrumors newbie

qricth

i just saw this case and i got mbp retina mid 2012 and my power status is service battery. i chatted with apple support but they say they dont have a replacement program for this models. what should i do :/

11. AndyDiamond macrumors 6502

AndyDiamond

12. Truck3r macrumors newbie

Truck3r

Does anyone have a link to a page on Apples support site, that describes this battery replacement program?

Down at my local service center, they had never heard of it...

13. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Wow. I'd consider it to be a major DOWNGRADE to having a 2012 Pro exchanged for an un-upgradeable 2015/2016 model. I'm hanging on to my 2011 MacBook Pro for dear life, hoping it will survive for another few years. I do not want to buy any laptop that Apple has out there right now, and would probably grab a Windows laptop, if I HAD to upgrade right now.

14. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

The 2012 retina - which is the one covered by the programme - is also not upgradable. The battery is glued in, the ram is soldered on, etc. The 2015 is the same design but with force touch.

15. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Well if that's the case, then I'd say bring on the 2015. ;)

16. d34df15h macrumors newbie

d34df15h

I went to the apple store in toronto today, they charged $259.00 for Top Case Assembly with Battery

and my screen will be replaced also because of a factory problem for free

I was hoping to get a new machine =/
    but they will change the battery

17. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I was one of the lucky few that got my base model 2012 swapped with a top spec refurb 2016 w touchbar. I couldn't be happier. I do miss the SD Card slot, and the lack of upgradable SSD was annoying but they gave me a 2TB SSD in the new machine so I can't complain too hard haha

18. d34df15h macrumors newbie

d34df15h

omfg congratulations
    How long ago did you make this exchange/repair?

19. Leguna24 Suspended

Leguna24

oops, I need to check my permanently hooked up macbook!

20. dlondon macrumors 6502

This thread might be confusing people. The replacement devices were offered to some up until 25 July 2017. According to MacRumors, Apple is offering free battery replacements to those eligible.

21. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

My replacement was ordered on July 24, the day before they stopped replacing them and starting fixing the batteries.

22. NachoSH macrumors member

It seems they're out of stock again.
    I went on Thursday to an Apple Store (in Spain) and they kept my rMBP 15" 2012 to change the battery. I was told it was going to cost 209€.
    They called me on Friday to get it back because they don't have stock and I will need to wait around 5-6 weeks for them to get a top case. But the repair will be free when they got one.

I'm gonna call Apple on Tuesday to see if I can get my MacBook replaced for a newer model.

23. ProBowie macrumors newbie

ProBowie

I went in two weeks ago and they said to call back in January. If I would leave it there it would cost $199 but if I called back in January, they would replace the top-case & battery as well as replace my display that has the anti-glare coating rubbing off... all for FREE! I'm happy, the 2012 MBP's are still a rocking machine!

24. William Forrest, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017

William Forrest macrumors newbie

William Forrest

--- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2017 ---
    My mid 2012 rMBPro's 'battery' started misbehaving a year or two ago. A constant 'Service Battery' message that wouldn't go away. In mid 2017 it got worse. Harder and harder to charge. Green light but no charging of battery. I got a quote for $400. to fix the 'battery', but was told if I waited 'til January Apple would pay for it. I was going to wait, but then the trackpad went berserk, so I turned it in for repair. My dealer was told the part would arrive 2 December, but it didn't. Then we were told it was delayed until January! I blew my top, called Apple (1-800-MyApple), and eventually got to a customer service person who had power. He had a 2017 rMBP with 500 Gbyte drive sent to me 16 Dec. 2017; my dealer sent Apple my old 2012 Macbook Pro.

This is the second manufacturing defect on that 2012 machine. It suffered from the flashing Retina video problem. Not good, but Apple has made me whole -- thanks to the information from MacRumors!

25. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

You have to build a relationship with the people at the store. We regularly communicate with the local apple store staff.