Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Expanding iPad 2 Retail Presence to Toys R' Us?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ModMyI claims that Toys R' Us will begin selling the iPad 2 next month. And there's photographic evidence to back up the claim. Obtained during an employee training session, the pic clearly illustrates the iPad 2 presented in some form of employee training and testing process - something that would naturally take place shortly before a new product launch.The move would further expand Apple's retail presence for the iPad 2. The iPad is already being sold in 3rd party retailers Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Target as well as Apple's own retail stores.

iPad 2 supplies seem to be improving with ship times having decreased to 2-3 weeks. But supply is still short in several parts of the country with reports of morning lines still forming at several Apple stores.

Article Link: Apple Expanding iPad 2 Retail Presence to Toys R' Us?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This is kind of weird.

I don't think so. Toys R Us moved big into video games a while back. Not to mention their 800+ US stores and 700+ outside the US. Distribution is just another way Apple will choke Android tablets.

Comment

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
And next year iPhones! For preschoolers ya know gotta have one these days :rolleyes:

Since when has Toys R' Us been only for Kids? They sell a number of high end tech products from video games, to PS3's, to DVD's etc.

Comment

lkrupp

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2004
This is going...

to make the troll's heads explode. They'll have a whole new avenue to exploit with snarky comments. I can't wait to read the first troll posts. They should be here any minute now.:rolleyes:

Comment

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
This is kind of weird.

It's actually a bit of a blast to the past. In the 80s, TRU had a very healthy computers and software section including lots of non-game titles. I bought my Commodore 128D at TRU. :p

As mdlooker says it's all about flooding the market. I'll pick up diapers and while I'm at it an iPad 2.

B

Comment

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
to make the troll's heads explode. They'll have a whole new avenue to exploit with snarky comments. I can't wait to read the first troll posts. They should be here any minute now.:rolleyes:

Yup.

And it does seem weird. But if you think about it for a minute, one realizes that Apple's competition doesn't even know what game they're playing.

If Apple sells 50 million iPads this year, what's 2013 going to look like?

Comment

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I don't think so. Toys R Us moved big into video games a while back. Not to mention their 800+ US stores and 700+ outside the US. Distribution is just another way Apple will choke Android tablets.

Indeed not to mention that Toy R Us here in the UK used to (and possibly still does but not sure) sell Mac Minis.

In the retail park near where I live there is a PC World, Comet and Curry's that all sell iPads and assuming they bring this over the pond so too Toys R Us.

That would mean there would only be 3 out of the 7 units not selling the iPad.

And just down the road is a very large tesco selling iPads and a John Lewis, and two 02 shops. Its crazy actually the amount of places where I can buy an iPad from.

Comment

XXFirefighter

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
So even more retailers getting iPad2's to sell and some of us are STILL waiting for deliveries of ordered ones. ORdered March 22nd and not going to be delivered till May 3rd? I should just cancel and go to toys are us...

Comment

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I think Geoffrey The Giraffe is tired of selling Miley Cyrus dolls and wants to get into the App Business. and did you know that Toy's R Us is an Toshiba and HP retailer for computers?

I want to see the iPad sold at the Microsoft Store!!!!!

-The_Other_Geoff(rey)

Comment

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
It's actually a bit of a blast to the past. In the 80s, TRU had a very healthy computers and software section including lots of non-game titles. I bought my Commodore 128D at TRU. :p

As mdlooker says it's all about flooding the market. I'll pick up diapers and while I'm at it an iPad 2.

B

This is very true, much like Sears did. I remember riding my moped to TRU and buy my Atari 300 baud modem in January so I could connect to CompuServe BBS way back when. Toys R Us had a huge computer section. I also remember going through Sears to buy Atari video games (and the Sears branded Atari stuff) and playing with PC clone computers there, I can swear I recall playing with Apple's at Sears too, but either way, they had a whole section of the store dedicated to computers at both Sears and TRU.

Comment

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Good for them. The more outlets for it, the better. Doesn't detract from Apple's reputation. It's still 100% an apple product.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Genius.

Young shoppers with their parents bypassing the 3DS, PS3 and Xbox aisles, and heading right for the iPads.

Comment

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
Indeed not to mention that Toy R Us here in the UK used to (and possibly still does but not sure) sell Mac Minis.

Toys R Us pulled out of selling Macs in the UK a few years ago. I got lots of software and accessories when they started selling everything off cheap to get rid of it. They still have the same Apple stand in the store near me but now its filled with iPods and docking stations.

Comment

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop

Yeah we know you told us that already

From 17/08/2006 :eek::D

It's back to the future all over again. ;)

TRU used to be a decent computer store back in he old 8 bit days... Bought my Commodore 128D from them as well as plenty of software...

B

I was trying to find out what they used to sell in the UK and it seems they had the lot.

Just been in local Toys R Us looking for a game for my daughter for her Nintendo DS and noticed a new dedicated Apple display section with iMacs, ACD, MacMini, MacBook plus iPods of various types.

Admittedly, I don't go there often but it wasn't that long since I was last in there and there was no Apple section then. When did this deal get done? I can't remember reading about this anywhere.

Still, I'm glad as it means I don't have to travel 30 miles to my nearest Apple store to look at their kit.

On their web site too

Toys R Us pulled out of selling Macs in the UK a few years ago. I got lots of software and accessories when they started selling everything off cheap to get rid of it. They still have the same Apple stand in the store near me but now its filled with iPods and docking stations.

Yeah I found the thread now from August 2007 UK: Toys 'r' Us selling Mac stock rediculously cheap

Comment

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Toys R Us iPad Training

Here is what to do in the following scenarios:

Shopper: Do you carry the Etch-A-Sketch?
Clerk: Isn't that a drawing pad?
Shopper: Yes
Clerk: RIGHT!!! Follow me...the pads are over here!!!

Shopper: Do you carry bean bags?
Clerk: Isn't that a drawing pad?
Shopper: Well...er...sort of

Shopper: Do you carry Chatty Kathy?
Clerk: Isn't that a device with a computer in it?
Shopper: I think so?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.