Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be gearing up for a big marketing push for the Apple Watch ahead of its April launch, featuring the device on several magazine covers. The Apple Watch made its U.S. magazine cover debut earlier this month in the March issue of Self, and it's also being featured in a multi-page spread in the March issue of Vogue.

applewatchvogue1-800x600.jpg
The Apple Watch is shown on multiple pages of the magazine, depicting different watch casings and band designs in clean ads that feature nothing but the Apple Watch itself. The images are actual size, giving readers an idea of how big the watch is in real life.

applewatchvogue2-800x600.jpg
There's a heavy focus on Apple Watch bands, several of which are depicted in close up images that show off details on their construction. The Milanese Loop is featured on one page, while the navy-colored Leather Loop is shown on another page. The Apple Watch sport with a green band is also shown, as is the fitness interface for one of the Apple Watch's built-in fitness apps. Yet another page features the rose gold Apple Watch Edition with a Rose Gray Modern Buckle band.

applewatchvogue3-800x600.jpg
It's likely that several other publications beyond Self and Vogue will be featuring the Apple Watch in the coming weeks as the device's April launch date approaches. Apple has targeted fashion and fitness markets thus far, and is expected to market the Apple Watch to a wide range of potential customers.

applewatch6-800x600.jpg
Up until this month, Apple's Apple Watch marketing has been somewhat reserved, limited to an appearance at Parisian fashion boutique Colette in September and the Vogue China cover in October, but the company appears prepared to begin more serious marketing efforts.

As we reported last month, Apple asked some developers creating content for the Apple Watch to have their apps completed by mid-February, possibly to have apps ready to go for marketing purposes or an upcoming event. Apple also invited select developers to its Cupertino headquarters to put the finishing touches on Apple Watch apps and the company may be preparing to launch a series of Apple Watch popup stores in various locations around the world.

Article Link: Apple Expands Apple Watch Marketing Efforts With New Multi-Page Spread in Vogue Magazine

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
Cool. Looks like they're ramping up excitement, so I can see them announcing final information next month pretty early.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I've always liked Apple's print ads. They're so simple, and so bold.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
They sure are exited about those bands..

The bands are one of the few things that almost everyone seems to agree with that Apple nailed right out of the gate.

They really need one more event for this though. Too much info is still up in the air; namely the pricing and ordering process. Too many rumors about band availability and such.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
There hasn't been any specific information about when they might reveal the final launch details, has there?

willwritefortea

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2015
Colorado
Apple has continually pushed the fashion item aspect of the watch because for many consumers, that is what the Apple Watch will be. This is also why Apple can get away with charging $5,000 or more for the Edition line of watches, because the people that buy the Edition, and many of the people who buy the Sport or Classic Apple Watch, do not want a small phone on their wrist, they want a device that makes people ask "what is that?"

Apple is correct in pursuing this goal. The Apple Watch will appeal to the average, every day, my-phone-does-everything-I-need-it-to-do person, while simultaneously giving a nod to the tech crowd. It can be used for fashion as much as function.

That is the genius of the Apple Watch: anyone can use it, so everyone will want it.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
This is one reason I believe the watch will do so well.
They are marketing to style-sense (as usual). Of course, they're also pushing this as a functional timepiece.

So much more than just a wearable computer.

Jungo

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
question - there will be third party bands ... YES ?

and I'll say again - take my money :)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It's going to be interesting what happens when those who do not follow all this tech talk find out they need a recent iPhone to go with this.

Apple are showing this off as if it's just a separate product.

There will be MANY non tech people who will have no idea this is not a totally stand alone product.

Will be interesting.

----------

Apple has continually pushed the fashion item aspect of the watch because for many consumers, that is what the Apple Watch will be. This is also why Apple can get away with charging $5,000 or more for the Edition line of watches, because the people that buy the Edition, and many of the people who buy the Sport or Classic Apple Watch, do not want a small phone on their wrist, they want a device that makes people ask "what is that?"

Apple is correct in pursuing this goal. The Apple Watch will appeal to the average, every day, my-phone-does-everything-I-need-it-to-do person, while simultaneously giving a nod to the tech crowd. It can be used for fashion as much as function.

That is the genius of the Apple Watch: anyone can use it, so everyone will want it.

Everyone WON'T want it.
I still question your price tag for a mass product, mass manufacturing product company.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Beautiful adverts. When I design ads like that my clients asked me why I haven't used up all that free space that they're paying for. :eek:

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
IMO, the darn Apple Watch is just ugly, and any ad agency can put lipstick on a pig. "Yeah, yeah, Apple's entering the fashion wearables market"…but it doesn't quite matter if the consumer is not happy with the actual style.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Apple Watch promises to be the most aggressively marketed device in recorded history. Apple has got to spend their cash somewhere.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
but I can't go running with this watch (without my iPhone) :D

The watch will (presumably) give a somewhat accurate count of your steps and a measure of heart rate without your phone, but I hear what you're saying.

I like GPS tracking on my runs - and I'm hoping we'll see that in a future generation watch.

willwritefortea

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2015
Colorado
It's going to be interesting what happens when those who do not follow all this tech talk find out they need a recent iPhone to go with this.

Apple are showing this off as if it's just a separate product.

There will be MANY non tech people who will have no idea this is not a totally stand alone product.

Will be interesting.

Interesting. I never thought about that until you mentioned it, but for someone who doesn't fully understand the functionality of these devices (a good portion of Apple consumers) it really hasn't been completely obvious that you need an iPhone.

I guarentee there will be at least a handful of "I bought the Apple Watch and didn't know I needed an iPhone!" complaints once it is released.

Last edited:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
This must be another Apple product you have to see and hold to understand. So far, aside from some subjective fashion appeal, I don't see how :apple:Watch is any different than the stuff Android has been pumping out for well over a year with marginal success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.