Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I can't wait to see all the print and tv ads for the watch. I really hope Apple spends the money and really showcases it properly. If they can really showcase it as an object of beauty and fashion, I believe it will be a hit. If they only have an ad here and there, I don't think it will catch on as a 'must have' as fast as Apple would want it to be.

The next press event will be the decision maker for a lot of people, as all the facts of pricing, extra features, etc. will finally be published. I'm very excited to see it all, but I'll probably wait on buying one till next generation if the cost is too high for the one that I want (stainless steel).

stevehaslip1

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2015
I just walked past a news stand and opened Vogue to the ad.

If those ads show the watch at actual size, then this thing is GIANT.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You don't think it's possible that someone who does not have an iPhone, perhaps they like other phones for other reasons, might see this and also like the Apple Watch ?

I do think it's possible. But I wonder how many would fall into that category.

The education needs to come - clearly. Whether that's through the marketing (I think it should) but definitely at the point of sale. There isn't a singular customer that should walk out with an Apple Watch who hasn't been told what companion device they need.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
IMO, the darn Apple Watch is just ugly, and any ad agency can put lipstick on a pig. "Yeah, yeah, Apple's entering the fashion wearables market"…but it doesn't quite matter if the consumer is not happy with the actual style.

I agree. That beige one with the oval button looks like something out of Forbidden Planet. There's retro and there's just old. Mind you my taste goes more something like a TAGHeuer, that is if I was ever going to wear a watch. But lack of function/battery life/etc./etc. aside I just really do not like the look of the Apple Watches.

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
It's going to be interesting what happens when those who do not follow all this tech talk find out they need a recent iPhone to go with this.

Apple are showing this off as if it's just a separate product.

There will be MANY non tech people who will have no idea this is not a totally stand alone product.

Will be interesting.

----------

Everyone WON'T want it.
I still question your price tag for a mass product, mass manufacturing product company.

I can only invite you on this forum 3 months after official launch and availability... I am so looking forward to reading your assessment of Apple watch sales after your post today...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I can only invite you on this forum 3 months after official launch and availability... I am so looking forward to reading your assessment of Apple watch sales after your post today...

Nothing in the post you quoted speaks to #s or volume of sales. The poster commented that not everyone is going to want it. That's accurate. Even from a non-splitting-hairs/semantic point of view.

There will be people not interested (for whatever reasons) in the Apple Watch.

That doesn't mean it won't sell well.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012

I'm not sure if 3 months is long enough. There will be the initial "hey it's new and from Apple, I gotta have it" surge but long term I question how well it will do. I'll check back in 6 months to a year.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Looking good to be honest. No specs, no intro. Only pictures, beautiful pictures that says a lot.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
I agree completely. Probably all of the technical staff at Apple was told to drop everything so that they can focus on building fashion ads in Vogue instead.

"Probably", oh that was cute.

From a very reliable source, they are already building an iEarring. Ssssssssh ....

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Looking good to be honest. No specs, no intro. Only pictures, beautiful pictures that says a lot.

I am a huge fan of AW (in e-pictures) and Apple's designs. But let me be the judge, if it is beautiful or not, once I see it on person.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Actually, you can. Your distance won't be as accurate (only measured by step count) and your track/route will be missing. Everything else can still be measured and will be synced to your iPhone as soon as they are connected.

Inaccurate distance...

Missing route information...

So basically, two of the biggest things people like to track on their runs.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I know I'm in the minority here (likely) - but the Apple watch is a nice design. I just don't find it "awesome." I think it falls right in line with many of the other offerings.

That should not read as a negative. And again - if you have iOS - you can't (at this time) use Android Wear and vice versa.

I will be more interested in the actual UI and whether the "mini apps" as I have read about are the best method vs Android Wear's.

stevehaslip1

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2015
Seriously. Who reported that these images are actual size? Go look at a copy of Vogue and you will see this thing is GIANT.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Fashion over functionality.

That's exactly the same feeling I have. I was more impressed with the simple functionality of the pebble OS from yesterday vs. what I've seen from Apple during their presentation. The next gen pebble may not look pretty but it has more heart than the Apple Watch.
Apple only cares about showing this off to people in fashion.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
It's going to be interesting what happens when those who do not follow all this tech talk find out they need a recent iPhone to go with this.

I believe it requires an iPhone 5 or later. I seriously doubt that anyone that is in the market for the Apple Watch (i.e. is willing to pay that much money for it) is still using a 4S or earlier.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
This is in Vogue so of course it's going to be a fashion-focused ad. Maybe the ads in Mac-Life or MacWorld magazine will tout the technology. I have my doubts, but we'll see.

However, try to remember that it's a watch, that you wear - not hide in your pocket/purse and/or protect with a case, so it is going to be seen and many people will want it to look nice. I think the "form" crowd is larger than the "function."

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Unapologetic alien green.

toy-story-3-aliens.jpg

applewatch6-800x600.jpg

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
Interesting. I never thought about that until you mentioned it, but for someone who doesn't fully understand the functionality of these devices (a good portion of Apple consumers) it really hasn't been completely obvious that you need an iPhone.

I guarentee there will be at least a handful of "I bought the Apple Watch and didn't know I needed an iPhone!" complaints once it is released.

which is why they're dedicating sales space with trained sales people to educate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.