Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Did you read the link you provided ? They are not quoting a few sources, but the same source, and they reported the possible presence of the GPS not actually tearing down the watch, impossible to do since they didn't have it available, but just making assumptions based on the internal components supposedly present.
Apple said there is no GPS receiver in the watch, so I'm quite confident they know what they put inside the :apple: watch :D

i did read it and they are showing evidence that it could contain gps however disabled, further apple never said that there is no gps in the watch

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
i did read it and they are showing evidence that it could contain gps however disabled, further apple never said that there is no gps in the watch

No evidences at all.
Educated guesses at best.

Do note, however, that the supply chain really only has a list of component makers, and not the components themselves, so it is sometimes a hit or miss

the made assumptions based on a supposedly (and I say again supposedly) utilized Broadcom radio chipset. It wouldn't be the first time Apple obtain a dedicated and somewhat personalized chipset.

Apple said the watch will rely on the iPhone for GPS positioning.......

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Great product photography , as usual for Apple products .

The elephant in the room it still can't disguise - the watch body is utterly dull, reminicent of the some tacky 90s designs .
It's thick, round, and decidedly unclassy .

It won't be accepted by watch people, not by jewellery oriented watch buyers (they demand resale value, make no mistake) , and the known functionality doesn't cut it for the tech crowd .

I love Macs, but I hope Apple finally gets a kick in the nuts for one of their marketing based gadgets .
They need it, and deserve it after the less than stellar record of iOS and the related hardware .

Go on a site which lists watch sizes and prove me it is actually thick, with actual measurements of other watches. Seriously. That comment makes no sense.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
No evidences at all.
Educated guesses at best.

Do note, however, that the supply chain really only has a list of component makers, and not the components themselves, so it is sometimes a hit or miss

the made assumptions based on a supposedly (and I say again supposedly) utilized Broadcom radio chipset. It wouldn't be the first time Apple obtain a dedicated and somewhat personalized chipset.

Apple said the watch will rely on the iPhone for GPS positioning.......

That still doesn't exclude the watch from having GPS on it. The bulk of GPS power consumption is during correlating a fix from a cold start. It could be that it relies on the iPhone for the aiding data required to avoid this phase of acquisition via the cell network. This is actually how most aiding is delivered for GPS devices, via cell. Once aided and fixed on the sats overhead maintaining the fix and incrementing location uses very little power. So sure it may need the iPhone for GPS but once given your initial location and the necessary aiding data it may continue it's own tracking, delivering those data points to the iPhone when the run is over.

My guess is it has GPS on it but is latently disabled until they figure out in software how to get the power consumption down in collaboration with the phone.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
That still doesn't exclude the watch from having GPS on it. The bulk of GPS power consumption is during correlating a fix from a cold start. It could be that it relies on the iPhone for the aiding data required to avoid this phase of acquisition via the cell network. This is actually how most aiding is delivered for GPS devices, via cell. Once aided and fixed on the sats overhead maintaining the fix and incrementing location uses very little power. So sure it may need the iPhone for GPS but once given your initial location and the necessary aiding data it may continue it's own tracking, delivering those data points to the iPhone when the run is over.

My guess is it has GPS on it but is latently disabled until they figure out in software how to get the power consumption down in collaboration with the phone.
Everything is possible, but I don't see Apple keeping an unused component on their smart watch that way.
If Apple said they rely on the iPhone for GPS tracking, I tend to believe they know what's inside their own hardware.
We are going to find out in a month, I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.