Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Sure, nobody will provide numbers, and scissor mechanisms used on older MacBook is not immune from stuck keys, repeated keys and such. But, if Apple is so confident to their butterfly keyboard, they would’ve not introduce a repair program for butterfly keyboard. I, like some other members, interpret this as a admission of lack of confidence. Also, if initial butterfly design is so superior in every way, Apple would’ve not revise it four times, but use 2015 MacBook keyboard design and keep swinging their PR hammer around entire user base, claiming “you are doing it wrong”, Just like iPhone 4 “antenna gate”. We don’t always need solid numbers and objectively assessable facts to figure out something is going wrong.

Issue that is not a big deal to you may be big deals to others. I am sure you see that. Just because people can buy dongles to adapt to the port transition does not mean Apple should abandon all old ports and aim for 10 years ahead, especially when those expensive machines are touted as “Pro”.

I have tons of USB-A devices around, and thanks to two USB-A ports (despite being USB-2 port) on my MacBook Air, I can cram it into my small desk with another PC, helping me to get the job done. It’s very good for you to be able to fully utilise USB-C, but for mass, they are not ready.

I can accept it is an issue for some people but not that it is a big deal. It is a small annoyance blown out of proportion as some kind of earth ending catastrophic event.

I also have all USB-A drives but it really isn't that big of a deal. I just plug it in and get to work and yes that is pro. You see most props don't fret over silly things like having to pay for dongles or being professional and actually remembering the gear they need to use to not look like an amateur in a meeting. We buy the stuff we need and keep them with us and never worry about silly things. We have more important things to worry about like clients, deadlines, software updates, industry trends, learning new skills and so forth.

worst case scenario is a minor inconvenience and nothing more. One that is quickly and easily remedied with very affordable solutions.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Benf...=B07DNQ9FD9&psc=1&refRID=7VZD66MMRA07MNZFXVCR

They even now come in a 3 pack for $7.00.

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
Instead of “trashing” the computer give it back to them and they will reuse and recycle as appropriate.

IT does not matter how much Apple recycles, if most of the new product are barely non-upgradable and have all soldered components. Computers that have all soldered components simply generate more trash and repair cost.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No they don’t.
There is no 100% sustainable recycle and there will never be. Then that begs a questions: how many percentage of old components or computers or iPhones or iPads or any other recycled devices are repurposed properly into next device? Is that 90% or 40%? That’s a huge difference and collectively this percentage determines the impact of environment for both short terms and long terms.

Apple is completely fine to build upgradable motherboards and SSDs and such while still maintain their current recycle level. They choose to solder everything not for recyclability, but for other reasons like a bit higher stability because of no extra connections and better use of limited internal space.

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
LOL sheesh

That was a many-year adventure in iterative improvements for improvements' sake.

Which trashed brand loyalty among the tiny remaining group of mac faithful.

That is why I think they should #FIRETHEACCOUNTANT

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
USB2 can still be used for many accessoires. Firewire is dead, but does that matter? It's not like your computer is useless. THANKS TO THE MANY PORTS IT IS STILL FUNCTIONING AND WITHOUT F ADAPTERS

Do you really think we will still use TB3 in 2027?? (your timeframe 8 years later)
Than you will have ZERO useful ports...

This must be the most stupidest comment I read in ages..
Thunderbolt 3 ports are backwards compatible with USB 2 and USB 3. And USB 1.1 for that matter, which is already 20+ years old.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
The tras

The transition is get new cables or new peripherals. Or you can get adaptors and most of them are pretty cheap. If you want to switch to newer tech, you can. I have an ethernet to usb-c which also has an usb-a port and I also had something similar for my 2013 MBP and the only ”lost” port is the hdmi and you rarely need hdmi on the go.

USB-A is still a major standard across all systems, and every laptop still has at least one. My point is that this is something that is annoying as you move across generations from laptops. It is not courage, is forced obsolescence. For corporate offices like ours where half of our systems are MBP, basically all the adapters we already had across the board become obsolete, the display adapters, the wireless mice, the keyboards, etc. To keep using them you have to basically repurchase everything or buy expensive "adapters" to get them to continue working.

Reactions: z970 and Peperino

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
For corporate offices like ours where half of our systems are MBP, basically all the adapters we already had across the board become obsolete, the display adapters, the wireless mice, the keyboards, etc. To keep using them you have to basically repurchase everything or buy expensive "adapters" to get them to continue working.

"Expensive" might be a bit of an overstatement. At my company we just bought a case of $4 USB-C to USB-A adapters and hand them out like candy to whoever needs them. All told It cost us less than one week's worth of La Croix for the break room. They're small enough and cheap enough that people just leave them connected to their old USB-A devices all the time.

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
USB-A is still a major standard across all systems, and every laptop still has at least one. My point is that this is something that is annoying as you move across generations from laptops. It is not courage, is forced obsolescence. For corporate offices like ours where half of our systems are MBP, basically all the adapters we already had across the board become obsolete, the display adapters, the wireless mice, the keyboards, etc. To keep using them you have to basically repurchase everything or buy expensive "adapters" to get them to continue working.

You know the fastest raising Apple product category is:
Dongles and adapters...Pathetic.

thevault

Suspended
Feb 11, 2019
Mars
Is this going to be basically the previous MBP with updated keyboard, battery with updated screen/processor?

Non-upgradable.....Soldered HD/processor......:rolleyes: No SD slot....:mad:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
That ship has sailed. If you're hoping for a new Mac laptop to come out that lets you upgrade your processor, SSD and RAM... you're going to be waiting a long time.

I think it sucks too, because replacing these components can extend a laptop's usable life by years -- but Apple just doesn't make things that way anymore.

Reactions: thevault

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
Is this going to be basically the previous MBP with updated keyboard, battery with updated screen/processor?

It certainly looks like it, what it will be quite disappointing.
It is PATHETIC that they updated the MacBook Pro 2 times already this year, and this will be the third.
That shows a complete lack of planning.
Quite SAD for a company like Apple.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It certainly looks like it, what it will be quite disappointing.
It is PATHETIC that they updated the MacBook Pro 2 times already this year, and this will be the third.
That shows a complete lack of planning.
Quite SAD for a company like Apple.

Intel’s erratic roadmap didn’t help.

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
Intel’s erratic roadmap didn’t help.

Do not blame Intel (which they only do the processor), for an entire lame Macbook design and the lack of quality.

Is like not blaming Ferrari for a bad car design, because the company that does the radiator had an erratic plan.
Ultimately, you are buying a Ferrari and they should be responsible.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Do not blame Intel (which they only do the processor), for an entire lame Macbook design and the lack of quality.

Is like not blaming Ferrari for a bad car design, because the company that does the radiator had an erratic plan.
Ultimately, you are buying a Ferrari and they should be responsible.

I blame intel to the extent that intel didn’t produce the promised processors with the promised thermal envelope. Apple designed its machines with a roadmap in mind.

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
I blame intel to the extent that intel didn’t produce the promised processors with the promised thermal envelope. Apple designed its machines with a roadmap in mind.

It’s a failure on Apple’s part to not have had a contingency plan to execute when Intel failed to deliver.
Furthermore, the bad keyboard design, the non-upgradable all soldered components and no mag safe, nothing had to do with INtel, and yes with a bad Apple design.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It’s a failure on Apple’s part to not have had a contingency plan to execute when Intel failed to deliver.
Furthermore, the bad keyboard design, the non-upgradable all soldered components and no mag safe, nothing had to do with INtel, and yes with a bad Apple design.

Apple has a contingency plan. You’ll see it in 2021, and then they will never have to worry about intel delivering again.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
I want to buy my first MBP, but I want the 13-inch entry model with a keyboard that will last.

you should never by entry-level Macs, they are there to show you how bad it can be when you are on the fence deciding which higher-end model to chose.

Reactions: Peperino

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
you should never by entry-level Macs, they are there to show you how bad it can be when you are on the fence deciding which higher-end model to chose.

Other than the upgrade from a 128Gb to 256Gb SSD, this advice doesn't really apply to the current 13 Inch MBP. All of the reviews, blogs and YouTubers are in agreement - the current entry level MBP is an amazing machine.

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016

Entry level specs in all Macs are pathetic. Shipping with 8GB Ram in 2019 is a joke.
They only do it so they can announce a Mac with a lower price that no one buys.
And you need to upgrade with Apple obscene RAM pricing since they are soldering everything.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Entry level specs in all Macs are pathetic. Shipping with 8GB Ram in 2019 is a joke.
They only do it so they can announce a Mac with a lower price that no one buys.
And you need to upgrade with Apple obscene RAM pricing since they are soldering everything.

Apple doesn't cultivate a community of price-sensitive buyers. Apple is a "value-added" company, not a "basic service" mass-market provider. If you are pricing things based on their "true cost" then there is no margin for Apple at all. Apple makes money by selling you something in its ecosystem for a significant markup. They can easily charge you basic fees for an 8gb RAM, then ask you to sign a 6-year software maintenance subscription contract and a one-time hardware design consulting fee, just like how most contracts are handled between business to business purchases. In the Pro world, a handle for your DSLR can cost over 650 dollars, and that is just a piece of cast Aluminum with no electronics in it at all. A piece of polarising glass filter can cost over 350 dollars, and that is just a piece of tempered glass with come polarising UV coating fixed onto some aluminum chassis. The Apple Pro Display XDR stand can cost more than 999 dollars before tax... You see, it's not how much they charge for the RAM that matters, it's how much they need you to pay on average as a customer using their service because investors really only cares about ASP, or average selling price of a product or service.

ooh456

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
Stockholm
Please offer a version with no touchbar.

Hell, they should offer TWO versions with no touch bar. Just to be certain they actually release one with no touch bar. And then they should apologize to everyone who bought a touch bar Macbook who doesn't like it. And then they should make a stand-alone keyboard with a touch bar for the few people who actually like the touch bar. So they can use "all that great functionality" when they use dock their laptop. And then they should ... wait, err, that's enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.