Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has reportedly cut components orders for its upcoming OLED iPad Pro models, suggesting that the company is now anticipating lower demand than previously expected.

iPad-Pro-OLED-Feature-2.jpg

According to a report from Aju Korea Daily, cited by TrendForce, Apple has reduced orders of the OLED display panels designed for the next-generation iPad Pro by 20 to 30%. Apple's original order of ten million panels was split between LG Display, with six million units, and Samsung, with four million units. The cut is expected to hit LG's order specifically, reducing to three or four million units, while Samsung's order remains unchanged. This also suggests that it is primarily the 13-inch iPad Pro that is affected by Apple's expectation of reduced sales, since Samsung is exclusively supplying panels for the 11.1-inch model.

The scaling back of the order suggests that Apple is now planning to sell fewer new iPad Pro models than it initially expected. Some reports have suggested that OLED display technology will make the ‌iPad Pro‌ models much more expensive. The 11-inch OLED ‌iPad Pro‌ could be priced starting at $1,500, while the 13-inch model could be priced starting at $1,800. Currently, the 11-inch ‌iPad Pro‌ is priced starting at $799, while the 12.9-inch model with a mini-LED display is priced starting at $1,099. This could be one reason behind Apple's expectation of lower sales.

The latest indications suggest that the new iPad Pro models will launch in March or April, offering larger screens, the M3 chip, MagSafe charging, and support for a redesigned Magic Keyboard accessory.

Article Link: Apple Expects to Sell Fewer OLED iPad Pros Than Planned

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: decypher44

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
The hardware on the iPad Pro line is great, and has been since the 2018 redesign. But iPadOS so limits what you can do on the platform (or makes things needlessly difficult compared to a Mac) that it holds the whole line back. Until that changes, Apple is going to have a harder and harder time convincing people to buy the high end models. I have tried to stick with the iPad for over a decade but I’m done buying new ones until the OS story gets better.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Come at me but even M1 is still overkill and not taken advantage simply due to restrictions by iPadOS. You can even argue how "sustainable" Apple actually is, releasing a new tablet "just because".

It's not even meant in a bad way, I guess I am just saying an iPad from 3 (?) years ago is still running perfectly, which is actually great!
Gaming is by far one of the few areas that has been pushing M1 to its limits, both in terms of the thermal constraints and performance. You would be surprised if I say M1 on iPad Pro cannot sustain peak performance for very long before being forced to downclock to keep thermal under control.

Unless M3 makes massive improvements, I don’t find it attractive to upgrade.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Until iPadOS receives a significant overhaul in functionality and capability, I can’t justify these prices - as they are now, let alone the speculated increases.

The hardware is worth it, for sure, but for my uses it’s like having a beautiful painting with the hook on the wrong side. Until they move the hook to the other side, all that beauty is wasted against the wall where it can’t be seen.

[I know there are many apps which do use the power - I’m speaking for myself personally, not across the board]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.