Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwegner

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Wild theory: The end game of the Continuity set of features is full process migration, which is vastly more feasible by supporting M1 onward only...

So not, "throw your mouse/keyboard over to another system", or "take over the display on this other system as if it were an external monitor", but live-migrate the process itself across different machines. You can keep working on your Keynote/whatever document on a totally different system, all purely locally and with zero interruptions.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
A12z in the 2020 DTK was powerful enough to run macOS… yet the Apple is saying a12z isn’t powerful enough to run stage manager? I don’t buy any of it.

That being said, I have the m1 iPad Pro so I’m looking forward to proper external monitor support on iPadOS. Finally after all these years.

Last edited:

GregoriusM

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Why is this statement full of typos? And why does it say "experience" like 7 times? Are you sure this is actually from Apple?
“Stage Manager is a fully integrated experience that provides all-new windowing experience that is incredibly fast and responsive and allow users to run 8 apps simultaneously across iPad and an external display with up to 6K resolution. Delivering this experience with the immediacy users expect from iPad's touch-first experience requires large internal memory, incredibly fast storage, and flexible external display I/O, all of which are delivered by iPads with the M1 chip.”

I’ve wondered about this before. Perhaps it’s illegal to cut and paste, and the person jus typed it in, in a rush, without proof reading.

Lol, who wrote that statement, Smoke Chi Kuo?
Delivering this experience with the immediacy users expect from iPad's touch-first experience requires large internal memory, incredibly fast storage, and flexible external display I/O, all of which are delivered by iPads with the M1 chip.

Apple is talking about large internal memory and incredibly fast storage. It makes no sense why Apple is even selling a 64GB iPad Air on the market.
0FB470FB-17CF-4B1E-9561-78DECAAABC07.jpeg

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
They could have probably made the feature work on older iPad Pro's without the external display support, but you could still have it on the device.

The 2018/2020 were pretty powerful chips.
My thoughts exactly. But my hunch is Apple would rather cut it than leave it limited. But who knows, maybe with enough backlash Apple might do what you suggested.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
A12z in the 2020 DTK was powerful enough to run macOS… yet the Apple is saying a12z isn’t powerful enough to run stage manager? I don’t buy any of it.
The mini dev kit did have 16gb ram though.

I still think the 2020 iPad Pro could have ran this, all of them had 6gb ram. Again, maybe not on external display, but on its own display you could still take advantage of Stage Manager.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Why is this statement full of typos? And why does it say "experience" like 7 times? Are you sure this is actually from Apple?
I count four times “experience” is used. And Rene is a well-known blogger… not sure why he would claim that it’s not.

Apple is talking about large internal memory and incredibly fast storage. It makes no sense why Apple is even selling a 64GB iPad Air on the market.
We all know why Apple is selling it for 64GB is to push consumers toward the 256GB model or potentially the iPad Pro.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
It’s lose/lose — everyone will just comment they are “lying” as if they know the intricacies of their inner workings, engineering pipeline, or business track. Whether we like it or not, there’s a reason they are a multi-trillion dollar company and it’s not listening to Redditors or MacRumors commentators.
Yep, exact same with the whole iPhone 7 being dropped this year.
Explain how it’s clearly the lock screen and other features requiring the neural engine.
“Oh well they could easily just strip the new lock screen and everything else requiring NE out.”
Explain how ripping things out of the operating system, especially huge things like the Lock Screen, isn’t as easy as it seems and wouldn’t really be worth it to save one device.
“Oh well it’s forced obsolescence, because of course it is.”
Ask “how is it forced obsolescence if the iPhone 6S was literally the longest supported phone with a full seven years of updates, and the iPhone 7 is only one year behind that?”
“It just is OK, it’s forced obsolescence. It just is.”
Ask “well what about the fact that Apple didn’t change the support list for three OS’s in a row?”
“It’s still forced obsolescence because Apple bad my phone need to be supported forever company evil etc etc etc”
Literally no matter what Apple does people will complain.
Drop devices from the Support list and people complain.
Continue supporting old devices and people complain that they’re slow.
Introduce MacBook Airs in more muted colors and people complain that they are boring.
Introduce iMacs in fun shiny colors and people complain that they are childish.
Introduce M2 and people complain that it’s not that much different than M1.
Stick with M1 and people complain that Apples moving too slow and we should already be on M2.
Announce thin and light MacBook Pros and people complain that it should be thicker and heavier for bigger batteries and better cooling.
Introduce thicker and heavier MacBook Pro‘s and people complain that they’re tooth thick and too heavy.
And the list just goes on and on and on

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Maybe, but why try to make new features work with old hardware that is approaching end of support?

I get it, nice for the customer, but as far as apple is concerned, it is adding complexity to the codebase for hardware that won't be viable for many more years.

And un-necessary complexity in software is a major source of bugs.
2018 / 2020 iPad Pros are reaching EOL support? Who you trying to kid?

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
When I switched to the Mac, I started with an iMac 2006 C2D with 1GB of memory. Coming from Windows, I was blown away by its smooth animations (Expose, Front Row, etc.) and multi-tasking capabilities. The last couple of A-series chips are so much better than that old T7200 chip, I’m sure Apple could have found a way to make it work. The Mac Mini A12 ran macOS wonderfully and it didn’t have that weird limit on opened windows.
That Mac mini, if it’s the one I think you’re referring to, had the A12Z SoC and 16GB RAM.

Reactions: kilimanjaro

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I’m ok with it because I have an M1 iPad Pro and just bought my kids m1 iPad airs (mostly for center stage, all they do is face time!). But I really hope I’m able to get 5 years out of these iPads. We just jumped from iPad Air 3, which I think I could have gotten another year out of easily, and iPad Pro 10.5 so I think we have a fair shot.

Reactions: GuruZac

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017

That being said, I have the m1 iPad Pro so I’m looking forward to proper external monitor support. Finally after all these years.
samsung dex - 5 apps max and full size ?
apple stages - 5 stages x 5 apps =25 apps ?

** we cannot test since we dont prefer m1 as tablet and newest one ipad 6th gen mini 2021

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016

That being said, I have the m1 iPad Pro so I’m looking forward to proper external monitor support. Finally after all these years.
Apple specifically stated ram and storage speed in their statement.
The development kit had a full 16 gb of RAM.
The 2020 iPad Pro had 6.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
It’s disappointing, I have an iPad Pro that is pre-M1, but I kinda get it. They release big features every year. It was probably easier to deliver one integrated experience in that timeframe rather than split experiences based on what chip you have

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
This statement would be more believable if Apple simply showed us how bad it would be running it on the A12X/Z (eg super choppy animation, apps crashing due to low RAM, etc). Simply demo it and say “see, this is why we require the M1.” Done. People would be more than willing to accept and even upgrade. Be transparent.

But no, Apple won’t do that, because they probably know it can be worked out if they wanted to. Put a limit on how many apps retained, and/or cut down some of the eye candy, or just have it not support external monitor in the older iPads.

It would be hilarious if somebody managed to jailbreak the older iPads and then enable the feature, and then it worked fine.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
This statement would be more believable if Apple simply showed us how bad it would be running it on the A12X/Z (eg super choppy animation, apps crashing due to low RAM, etc). Simply demo it and say “see, this is why we require the M1.” Done. People would be more than willing to accept and even upgrade. Be transparent.

But no, Apple won’t do that, because they probably know it can be worked out if they wanted to. Put a limit on how many apps retained, and/or cut down some of the eye candy, or just have it not support external monitor in the older iPads.

It would be hilarious if somebody managed to jailbreak the older iPads and then enable the feature, and then it worked fine.
That would require them to develop the feature for that chipset. Why waste the dev time, a long development cycle, for one short demo?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It’s lose/lose — everyone will just comment they are “lying” as if they know the intricacies of their inner workings, engineering pipeline, or business track. Whether we like it or not, there’s a reason they are a multi-trillion dollar company and it’s not listening to Redditors or MacRumors commentators.
Might as well stop worrying about public outcry and only respond from legislation bodies. Maximise the community ignorance in terms of the feedback and embrace on other areas. It’s apple after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.