Apple Explores Smart Keyboard With Siri, Share, and Emoji Keys

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple recently filed a patent application containing drawings of a Smart Keyboard with "Share" and "Emoji" keys, and a key that can be used to both search and invoke Siri, suggesting it may be exploring a new version of the iPad Pro accessory to be sold alongside next-generation models.

[​IMG]

The drawings show that pressing the "Share" key would bring up a share sheet on the iPad Pro with options to share through apps such as Facebook, Mail, and Messages. There is no description of how the "Emoji" key would function, but pressing it would presumably bring up the on-screen Emoji keyboard on the iPad Pro.

The current Smart Keyboard already has a globe key in the bottom left corner that can bring up the on-screen Emoji keyboard, but this key is not visualized in the patent drawings. There is a non-existent "Fn" key in its place.

The third key, labeled with a magnifying glass, would serve multiple purposes. A single press, for example, could bring up a search field for searching within apps. A double press could bring up shortcuts for Messages, Photos, Calendar, Camera, Notes, Settings, and other apps. Long-pressing the key would invoke Siri.

Since this is not a design patent, Apple's drawings are not entirely accurate, but rather just basic visualizations. The "Share" key is located where the right-side Command and Option keys would normally be, for example, while the "Emoji" key is included in lieu of Caps Lock, which is an essential key.

Nevertheless, we roughed up a quick mockup of what the new Smart Keyboard could look like based on the same layout of the new keys as Apple's drawings.

[​IMG]

Apple is rumored to launch a trio of new iPads as early as March, but possibly not until later this year, including an all-new 10-inch range iPad Pro with an edge-to-edge display. The other models are expected to be updated 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models with faster A10X processors.

A so-called "Smart Keyboard 2" could accompany the new iPads and perhaps the so-called "Apple Pencil 2" rumored to launch this year.

The current Smart Keyboard was released in November 2015 and costs $149 and $169 for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch iPad Pro respectively. International versions such as British English, Dutch, Korean, Spanish, Italian, German, Swedish, French, and Arabic were released in August 2016.

Article Link: Apple Explores Smart Keyboard With Siri, Share, and Emoji Keys

2. Appleaker macrumors 68020

I would like to see a Smart Keyboard with Touch Bar.

That makes more sense than specific keys for those functions.

3. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

4. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

Who needs to press the caps lock key to yell in all caps when you can use an emoji

/s

Siri would be pretty useful as a key. I wish there was a function row too for volume and brightness.

5. Mythos99 macrumors member

For what would you need a Touch Bar with an iPad? o_O

6. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

I like the idea of a universal search button but don't take away my caps lock for emoji. I use caps lock far more than emoji...

7. tmajamaki macrumors newbie

tmajamaki

Wonderful, cater to the younger generation, they are our future and communicate with symbols and emojis. Leave the rest of us real computer users behind.

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

9. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

Will be interesting to see if this launches along side new iPads, although the date for them is arguable, some are saying March while others are saying later in the year (possibly September) it would be good to see a touch bar on this Smart Keyboard or even Touch ID but since it's already on th iPad itself I don't think they would do that.

10. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Please don't change the keyboard layout!
    Replacing the CAPS LOCK and the DELETE Keys makes no sense.
    Add these new keys somewhere else.

11. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

A dedicated Emoji button. Dedicated. Emoji. DEDICATED.

FOR ****S SAKE APPLE.

12. nfl46 macrumors 604

13. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Ah, you're under the impression real computer use dictates no emoji ever. Interesting.

14. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Since this is not a design patent, Apple's drawings are not entirely accurate, but rather just basic visualizations. There's no way that "Caps Lock" and "Delete" would not be included.

15. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Nothing says "I'm a serious professional doing important work on my iPad Pro" better than a dedicated emoji button.

16. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

While I use caps lock sometimes, I've never used it enough to make sense for it to be dedicated and also extra large. Of course I can't imagine needing an emoji key at all and especially not extra large.

I always use the left side for my command keys and having them duplicated on the right (or duplicated at all) never made sense to me.

I definitely don't want a large "share" button. Over sharing is more of a risk than a convenience. Why would you want that?

A Siri button is key though (no pun intended). Adding voice commands to our workflow is going to be very useful.

17. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

18. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

History repeats itself!

19. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Notwithstanding the fact what you've said is completely disingenuous, do you realise that you sound just like the old computer users in the early '80s who poo-pooed the idea of using a mouse? Real computer users who do real work don't need graphics and only use text-based operating systems.

20. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

I think a double press on "shift" could enable caps lock, so I don't see the problem with that.

A shortcut to enable/disable emoji is really useful when you have 3 languages on your keyboard...

21. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

22. pushingrobot macrumors member

pushingrobot

It's nick to see Appeal have the Corgi to renovate the legality "deleted" key. Sit no lager necessity now the we heave Autocratic.

23. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

They essentially eliminated the Function & Escape Keys on their new Mac Book Amature so who's to say they won't eliminate Caps Lock & Delete from future products...