Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Man apple really falling on hard times when this is the BS they have to try and make. Guess they want to be like Amazon and collect more data on their users.

Reactions: gusmula

akula1488

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2022
My daughter was talking about robot dog as pet the other day. Wil totally jump on one if there is a good one. Any one has experience with Sony AIBO?

Reactions: hovscorpion12

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
rocky4-robot3.jpg

Rocky IV wants their IP idea back!

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
No, if Apple can't make a better assistant then Siri, this will be something really dangerous for people.
Maybe in 10 yrs, with a better CEO that actually have some intelligence.

Tim is just greedy, that's his legacy.

dead.cell

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2014
Amerika
I don't need a robot following me. I need a robot at work and at our data centers. This way I can save myself a long drive just to power off/on hardware, patch something in, or what have you.

Then I can be full time remote!

McTTRS

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2024

Apple is exploring various "personal robotics" projects in an effort to create its "next big thing," according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Amazon-Astro.jpg

Amazon's Astro robot

One of these projects is described as a "mobile robot" that would "follow users around their homes," while another is said to be an "advanced table-top home device that uses robotics to move a display around":Apple is investigating the use of AI algorithms that would help robots "navigate cluttered spaces within people's homes," the report says. Apple has apparently wanted to create robots that can "handle chores, like cleaning dishes in a sink," but Gurman said this feat is unlikely this decade due to "extraordinarily difficult engineering challenges."

Apple's home robot could compete with the likes of Amazon's Astro, which serves as a mobile virtual assistant and provides home security monitoring.

As for the table-top device, Gurman said one idea was for its display to "mimic the head movements" of a person on a FaceTime video call. However, he said Apple has faced technical challenges related to "balancing the weight of a robotic motor on a small stand," and some Apple executives have apparently debated whether to develop such a device.

The robotics projects are said to be in the very early stages of research, and it is unclear if any of them will ever be released to the public. For now, these are just moonshot ideas, but they are fascinating ones to learn about.

Article Link: Apple Exploring 'Mobile Robot' That 'Follows Users Around Their Homes'
It's 75 all I need is another trip hazard.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Really wish they’d just focus on developing Vision Pro towards the AR sunglasses future that a lot of us are dreaming of. Matter of time until AR devices are good enough and cheap enough to become essential

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
AI is the next big thing that Apple missed - again. And now Timmy looks at Nvidia and their stunning robotics projects and thinks that maybe this could be the next big thing ….

Last edited:

Alex_nowhere

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2018
umh.... can it goes up stair and down stair on its own or do I gotta install an elevator at my house just to make this apple pet project works ?

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
Betcha is going to look like HomePod wearing VisionPro on wheels from the unreleased iCar. It also will have a support iCart to carry its battery, which will need to be charged hourly. It will come with a complementary iLift to move from floor to floor.

Ositoday

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2024
Apple should invest some gazillions on an robotics company already advanced - like FIGURE, and move forward with mass production of a real Android to make our chores, and our life easier. This, and not a car

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.