Apple Extends Free Repairs of First-Generation Apple Watches With Detached Back Covers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 11, 2017.

1. grjj macrumors member

"Affected customers can call an Apple Store and schedule a Genius Bar appointment"
    Probably not. Almost all calls to Apple stores route to AppleCare support so if you call a store to make an appointment you're just getting transferred at least one extra time.

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Three pages of mainly positive things to about Apple and their service. Clearly they know how to address the issue and keep the customer happy given the circumstances. Says milestones about this company.

3. L-Viz macrumors member

So, what did Jony say? "Switzerland, watch out"? My Omega does not fall into pieces. Maybe instead of crap, Apple should come up with decent upgradable MacBooks...

4. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Sigh, what about for those of us who have the actual FACE of the watch unattached from the watch? the backcover on mine is still intact. However the face of mine watch popped out all of a sudden one day and I was like what the hell? I paid almost $600 for this watch. This happened about 6 months ago and at the time I reached out to Apple and they told me the repair would cost me about $300. For that price, I rather just get a new watch or not even get another Apple watch at all. So I am hoping this covers the actual face of the watching coming apart as well, since it seems to be a "GLUE GATE" issue.

5. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Nope. IUPAC officially recognizes both pronunciations, although aluminium is the primary spelling. In the 1990s the British acquiesced to the American spelling for sulfur and Americans were supposed to switch to aluminium but Americans clung to their old pronunciation and later IUPAC added the American spelling as a secondary spelling.

6. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

I had this problem with my series 0, where both the screen and the back charging port became loose and eventually disconnected. Both times I called Apple and they replaced it free of charge. The process took 3 days total including shipping, and the replacement watch was sent back faster than it would have taken me to drive to an Apple Store.

7. oheb macrumors newbie

oheb

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

You would be even more made if Apple didn't stand behind their product and repairing it for free. It's a fails safe plan to cover the consumer IF anything happens to the Watch.

9. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

If Apple extended the warranty of one of your devices, you'd be pissed?

10. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Countless examples of Apple repairing computers, iPhones, and other devices long after they're out of warranty. Some people have even been given upgraded laptops after theres has issues a couple years out of warranty.

11. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Same! It started happening the other day and I was super bummed because I didn't know it was this widespread of an issue, and I bought mine refurbished last year so I didn't get Apple Care or anything because it just wasn't an option for me. This is definitely good to hear.

12. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Do they replace it with an Apple Watch Series 1 or the original (series 0)?

13. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Since when? I had to pay $249 for mine.

14. Bgilmore macrumors newbie

Perhaps. But it took three trips to an Apple Store to get them to agree that a front glass plate coming detached was something they should cover on my 1st generation watch. I was surprised how hard I had to push for them to cover what was obviously bad adhesive that came undone 15 months after I got it.

15. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Whilst it's great to see this happening - it's not always true that Apple looks after everyone.

In the colder months of 2015 and then 2016 - iPhone 6 and subsequently 6S owners were complaining of their phones randomly dying at up to 30% plus battery.

Only the 6S owners were sorted as they were still in warranty.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2017 ---
    And to Touch Disease you could add, Antenna Gate, Scuff Gate, Bend Gate etc etc.

All swept under the rug and largely resolved in the S models that followed.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2017 ---
    There was slightly more to it then that.

Apple made a structural modification to the 6S and 6S Plus to add additional strengthening to avoid bending during normal use - so it was, in effect, a design flaw in the 6 models that was never publicly acknowledged by Apple other than by their actions.

16. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

This shows that the problem is widespread enough that if Apple doesn't offer free repair, class action lawsuits or consumer laws would demand them to do so anyway. I thought mine was an exceptional case when I first brought the watch for a replacement, but the second one exhibited the same problem just one week later. There is a reason why other watches don't use glue to put them together. It is just not good for a device that is in constant contact with human skin.

17. nvmls macrumors regular

nvmls

"Apple sells millions of the Apple Watch around the world and is likely the most successful Smart Watch on the market"

The richest company in the face of earth, has been developing electronics for +40 years, sold a gen 1 watch for $350 with glued parts that fall apart. How many glued watches match the cost of a single properly assembled product? How many "great customer experiences" taking/shipping it back for a replacement of another glued watch would match a solid built product which would require none?

I don't get it clearly, I'm pretty dumb, thanks for clarifying.

18. Cloudkicker macrumors regular

Cloudkicker

lmao Maybe they mean Swatch.

19. lke macrumors 6502a

Yesterday the screen of my Apple Watch Red was detached from one end. I buy it on November 2015. At first I was alarmed about this but then I found that I have buy AppleCare+ and the warranty still covers this things.

I am sure that sooner more Apple Watches will have the same issue because the glue is not good enough.

The same glue they use for the screen is used on the back.

Apple needs to fix Apple Watches out of warranty that have the same issue on the screen.

20. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Again, your questions you have listed above have no relevance to the current situation. Furthermore, you seem to be sidetracked off the main point, which is Apple has already addressed and continues to address the issue at hand with some of the first generation Apple Watches experiencing issues. They set up a process where the watch will be repaired for free at no expense to the customer and they have the option of going to an Apple store or sending it in for repair.

Which, no one here knows the ratio of watches that have experienced the defect compared to the watches that have had no issues with the adhesive and work as normal.

But in the end, all that matters, is Apple Addressed the issue by creating a plan for the consumer and not every watch has had this issue, it's a plan devised for those who do experience this, they now have options.

I would rather put my faith in the company that still makes a great product and yet even if it does have an issue, I can feel comforted knowing they are going to resolve it. Again, what other company will provide you this type of customer service.

Lastly, Apple isn't perfect and nor other companies that have made mistakes with their hardware as well. Apple still makes a great product, but what makes the product great is the customer service behind it. That's the whole intent behind the product with Apple and their customer service.

21. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

Since earlier this year. My mom and two friends got it covered. Fell of due to swollen battery.

22. dmw7 macrumors newbie

dmw7

Hmmm, yes the languages have diverged, but the reality is that English is the official language of the US because the British exported it to you when colonising North America in the 1600s. All language evolves, but the "divergence", such as the removal of vowels from words like aluminium, humour, colour, labour, flavour, the use of a Z where English originally has an S (utilized/utilised etc) and spelling the colour grey as gray are all corruptions of that common language. Those corruptions are so well established that yes they have now become the established format for US English, but English is a British creation and it's therefore not persuasive to argue that the British version is the wrong one.

Yes it's a US company so of course US English is to be expected, but the use of metric measurements instead of imperial ones also rather undermines that argument that US English is correct and British English is in the wrong!

Oh, and while I expect American readers to mark me down for this, just think whether you are doing so on intellectual grounds or patriotic grounds, which are not the same.

23. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

Late post but glad this has been extended. My wife and I both have first gen SS Apple Watch from launch (in Australia) and in the two years or so since we've had them, we've had 5 watches in total due to the back falling off and being replaced with a new/refurbished model. Fortunately Apple has international warranty and we were able to get them all replaced for free whilst travelling/living overseas by third party authorised repairers.

EDIT: I would note that the third party service providers took 2-3 weeks turnaround time each time. Apple Support did listen to my concerns with the product reliability/etc and they even offered me a one-time compensation in the form of Apple Store credit which was a nice gesture.

24. Righty McRighterson macrumors newbie

I'm a little surprised that Apple haven't simply declared that this kind of damage is as a result of "watch abuse" by "stupid customers that don't know how to use watches properly" before walking away and absolving themselves of any responsibility.

25. ScottAD macrumors newbie

ScottAD

The adhesive issue is definitely not isolated to the back. I repaired a watch yesterday where the adhesive beneath the force touch sensor gave way. An executives watch face just started dangling. Of course they hit the screen on something then and so I had to replace the adhesive beneath the force touch sensor, the adhesive above the sensor and the screen itself.
    [​IMG]