Apple Extends Free Repairs of First-Generation Apple Watches With Detached Back Covers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 11, 2017.

1. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Those stories (if they exist) might come out, now that Apple has announced this repair program.

Apple has a history of denying the existence of a problem until there's a threat of a class action lawsuit, they then set up a program to address the issue but have so many stipulations that it limits who can participate in it.

I think it is too early to pat Apple on the back or to criticize them until we see what actually transpires with people who attempt to participate in this repair program.

2. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

That's the swollen battery issue, not the glue failure issue.

3. Relentless Power, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Try reading the full article. The article doesn't explain 'What three years is'. It explained what three years covers. Bizarre.

4. harriska2 macrumors regular

harriska2

I wonder if a watch case would help. I have a caseology and it covers the edges, part of the watch face and part of the back.

5. newtestleper macrumors 6502

“If you bought an Apple Watch in April 2015, for example, it is eligible for a free repair until April 2018.“

6. ashe1973, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

ashe1973 macrumors newbie

ashe1973

--- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2017 ---
    Happened to my gf's watch recently but Apple support via chat says he saw nothing on his end to support this. Anybody have any thoughts on how to get this done besides risking going into a retail store on the off chance they don't know either?

7. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

You seem to think that British English is proper and American English is corrupted. This is not the case. They are different forks of a previous common dialect. You also seem to think that British English is precisely the same now as it was several hundred years ago. Also not the case. All languages grow and change over time. American English split off from British English hundreds of years ago, and yes, both have changed quite a bit since then.

It seems that you're also implying that the people of England (perhaps the queen herself?) created English from nothing. Also incorrect. It's a mishmash of dozens of other languages, bolted together by people who arrived in England throughout many different centuries. That's where it gains its expressiveness, but also the maddening inconsistencies scattered through its rules. And the same accretion process has taken place with American English here in the USA.

I was not and am not arguing "that the British version is the wrong one" in the general sense - in all cases. I am, however, arguing that a company founded in the United States and that grew from a garage to a multi-billion dollar company in the United States, and that continues to be headquartered in the United States, is quite right to use the American version of English for their announcements.

8. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

9. TinMoxie macrumors newbie

TinMoxie

I called Apple Support and quoted the three year extension from the article. They assigned me a case # and they are sending a box so I can send my watch in for repair. They didn't question it at all. Great customer service.

10. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Chat with someone on Apple support. And if they say they don’t know then send them this article. It’s a thing so it doesn’t matter if they are unsure. Be assertive towards them

11. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

That's covered, too; it happened to my wife's in May or June. (Disclaimer: In this case, it was because the battery had swollen. If yours is due to physical impact instead, it's probably not covered.)

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I wonder if Apple replaces the back cover or re-glues the same one. Mine has developed a fair amount of scuffs from normal wear and tear over time, and if it were to come off it'd be nice to know I'd get a new one. Cosmetically I don't care about the scuffs, but I'm worried that they might interfere with the HR monitor. I seem to get a more abnormal readings than I used to.

13. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

My replacement watch from late June has gone back to Apple again today. Same symptom, back piece fell out, just even more serious. The Genius that handled the case just wowed. Free repair, of course.

Great customer service. Terrible build quality.

14. alexisarenas macrumors newbie

alexisarenas

Hello world,

Im from México and I have purchased 3 Apple Watch, I have a Golden Sport Edition, a Black Stainless Steel for me that I personally use day to day and another Silver Stainless Steel that I purchased for my fiancée, well, the point is, it detached and I won't get it repaired unless I put a ding in my wallet, lame support for me, anyone else got lucky lately? The Apple guy who talked to me via phone said that the program ended like a month ago...

It's just that I'm upset that because the way I work I have apple care in my two Apple Watch, but in the one I purchased for my fiancée I did not bought it because She is nothing like me lol (also helps the fact that she is an office lady), but her watch is the one that wont work anymore!

Attached Files:

15. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

How did it become detached like that? That’s not normal nor close to how they have come unglued because of faulty glue.

16. alexisarenas macrumors newbie

alexisarenas

My fiancée was charging the watch, She told me to grab it, I took it like I do with my other Apple Watch and It detached into two pices! The backplate stayed in the charger and the watch in my right hand... Of course I'm the one to blame that she feels weird for her naked wrist lol

17. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Yea but how did the back become separated from the body of the watch like that? Why was the wire cut? The wire should still be connected even when the back comes off.

18. alexisarenas macrumors newbie

alexisarenas

Well, I guess not all Apple Watch detach the same way! It just happened.

19. alexisarenas macrumors newbie

alexisarenas

Hello,

Just to let you know, I was called by two Senior Advisors and both told me that this information was wrong, I will have to pay a bit over $7,000.00 mxn pesos, which are about $388.88 in US Dollars, and of course when I mentioned this site they told me that the information was not correct "Sir, you are telling me to read a post at Macrumors, it's just a rumor site, I can't verify that Information" well, they told me that my fiancée watch is obsolete, it can't be repaired and a refurbished model will be sent to me If I pay the amount requested by the authorized repair shop. And I only have 90 days of warranty If I choose to pay for the replacement unit, another thing to point out is that I cannot purchase apple care for that replacement unit.

Hope you have better luck than I did!

20. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

I can hear the Swiss saying "I told you so" when it comes to their lifetime quality vs others' disposable watches.

21. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Apple will replace it if the back of the watch simply fell off. I shared a picture of what happened to one of ours, and we took it in they sent it off within 5 minutes no questions asked and they replaced it with a new one days later in the mail.

I’m not sure the issue here with your case, but the fact that the wire back there is detached may have something to do with it? I’m not sure, but Apple is replacing 1st gen watches that have this issue.

22. alexisarenas macrumors newbie

alexisarenas

Interesting, but my fiancée apple watch was out of warranty since it was a late 2015 purchase. Honestly I don't want to pay since the watch was working great and was taken good care of. The back detaching should be covered since it's a know issue. :/
    --- Post Merged, Jul 21, 2017 ---
    I know, but truth is, it was more convenient than taking the phone out of her purse every now and then, I own two and they seem to be working flawlessly. I haven't gone back to the old fashioned mechanical watch.

23. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Hers was out of warranty as well. Idk why yours isn’t being covered

24. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Mine just suddenly popped out one day while I was wearing it. So how does one get this done? Do I automatically schedule an appointment at any local apple store and the geniuses are aware that this is a free repair? I don't want to waste my time driving there if it's not free. I have the 1st generation Apple watch, so do I qualify for this?

25. Bomb617 macrumors member

Happened to me couple days ago and setup an appointment today to a local apple store to check it out...