Apple Extends Free Repairs of First-Generation Apple Watches With Detached Back Covers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 11, 2017.

1. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

It should be free, but I'm not sure how you can get them to say that without showing them. Mine was a first generation, too.

2. lke macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue but with the front screen. Suddenly a lot of Apple Watches have issues with the glue on the front or the back screen.
    I have AppleCare+ and I hope to get the Second Generation because my Apple Watch has sapphire crystal and the generation 1 has Ion-X glass.
    Maybe I will wait for the September event because the are rumors that Apple will show the new Apple Watch 3 and when this happens it will be easier to get the Generation 2 or also it could be nice that you can pay the difference and get the new Apple Watch.

3. alexisarenas macrumors newbie

alexisarenas

Hello world, I’m back with another detached apple watch, yes just a month and a half after purchasing it brand new, I even got apple care for it, lets see what is going to happen this time!

Attached Files:

4. Bomb617 macrumors member

It happened to my "replacement" stainless 42mm 1st gen last week as well. It was merely 2 months after this "new and fixed" replacement too (my original last a year before this happen). I am writing an email to Tim and see anything I can get it elevate to a higher level to ensure this not happen again.

5. alexisarenas macrumors newbie

alexisarenas

This is lame to be honest, here, take a look at this two apple watch with detached back covers, the first one is the one no one offered to help at Apple, the second one was brand new and purchased apple care for it hence its covered, but I own Two other watches for myself which, one will expire the aplle care this week and the other one in february, I hope they don’t go the same route or I will be very disappointed with apple because the first one suffered the issue after apple care support ended...

Attached Files:

6. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Happened to my SS last week. Contacted Apple and they told me to mail it in for repair/replacement. Interestingly I pushed the cover back on in order to wear it that day and now it is actually solidly stuck again. But the heart rate sensor has stopped working and the the sensor sending that I am wearing it which is annoying - I alway have to put in the passcode.

I hope they will indeed replace it free of charge (it is out of warranty) and it would be great if they could send me a second generation... but I guess that is wishful thinking :)

7. Bomb617 macrumors member

Well, got a call from my local apple store and said that my "new" replacement watch is ready to pick up (3 days after I dropped off on Sat). I will see is it the "new" Series 1 stainless or something else? Tim never replied my email BTW...LOL!

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

It's really bad to be the guinea pig for a first gen product. My watch went back to the Store two times, and since it's a SS model, Apple didn't conveniently upgrade it to a Series 1. The lesson I learnt is that never buy a first gen product from Apple, especially at a premium. I upgraded to the Series 3 and this is what the first watch should've been, responsive, great battery life, etc. But this time I will only buy the aluminium version to minimise the cost.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    There is no stainless steel Series 1. You will only get a first gen Series 0 SS as replacement. For me, I wish they 'downgraded’ it to an aluminium Series 1.

9. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

[QUOTE="haruhiko]

There is no stainless steel Series 1. You will only get a first gen Series 0 SS as replacement. For me, I wish they 'downgraded’ it to an aluminium Series 1.[/QUOTE]

They could provide a Series 2 SS however. I wonder if they really still have series 0 in stock...

10. Bomb617 macrumors member

Yes, my bad, series 0 SS is what I got for replacement...

11. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Got it back today and also a series 0 SS replacement. No free upgrade but I am happy to have a 'new' watch again. I assume that the battery inside is a new one, so that should overall extend its life.