Apple Extends iPhone XR and iPhone XS Trade-In Promotion to Europe, Canada, Australia, China, Japan, and Elsewhere

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today extended its limited-time promotion offering extra trade-in credit towards an iPhone XR or iPhone XS to additional countries, including Australia, Canada, Japan, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and the United Arab Emirates. The promotion first launched in the United States in late November.

Update: Apple continues to expand the promotion, with more European countries just added, including Austria, Belgium, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

The promotion has also gone live in the China region, as spotted by 9to5Mac, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macao.

As in the United States, Apple is offering higher trade-in values for select older iPhone models towards the purchase of a new iPhone XR or iPhone XS. In Australia, for example, the iPhone XR starts at $1,229, but customers can purchase the device for as low as $849 when trading in an iPhone 7 Plus for a limited time.

In certain countries, the promotion is only available at Apple Stores, but it is also available on Apple.com in some regions. Apple says the offer ends January 31, 2019 in China and Japan, but it has yet to specify a deadline in other countries.

Many analysts have expressed concerns about weakening iPhone sales, and Apple's aggressive marketing of the iPhone XR in particular and its decision to stop disclosing iPhone unit sales starting next quarter fit that narrative. Apple's stock price is down nearly 30 percent since the day of its last earnings report.

Article Link: Apple Extends iPhone XR and iPhone XS Trade-In Promotion to Europe, Canada, Australia, China, Japan, and Elsewhere

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
I got an extra $75 trading in iPhone 6 when buying our daughter an iPhone XR for Christmas. Was planning on buying one anyway so worked great for me. Already got notified money being sent with no issues.

Edit. Actually just looked at account and got $160 instead of $150 yesterday. Nice.

Jdnathan11

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
Is this worth trading in my 7 Plus for? My mic and battery are going out. My only concern is the screen resolution. What say you MR? I’m in Portland Oregon if that matters . Have an Apple store downtown. Thanks and happy Holliday’s.

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
Tennessee
But the Apple defence league keep saying that they aren't and that everything negative is just fake news and is a huge conspiracy.

Or is it fake news that Apple is doing this? I am just so confused.
Downside is without Apple releasing numbers anymore, we will never have the answer to your (our) confusion. We can only speculate.

Maybe their stock dive will wake them up to start listening to consumer wants and stop ignoring our requests.

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I got an extra $75 trading in iPhone 6 when buying our daughter an iPhone XR for Christmas. Was planning on buying one anyway so worked great for me. Already got notified money being sent with no issues.

Edit. Actually just looked at account and got $160 instead of $150 yesterday. Nice.
For some reason you also get the tax on the trade in value back too. It’s kinda weird.

Reactions: Romeo_Nightfall

vvs14

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
NY
I went to the Apple store just because of this offer to trade in my iPhone 6s. $200 is a solid value without the hassle of eBay or craigslist. But after playing around with the Xs, saw no compelling reason to trade my phone in, especially at that price of $799 after the trade in. Xr did not appeal to me to begin with. 6s is pretty solid and with the new battery that I put in, its as good as new.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Is this worth trading in my 7 Plus for? My mic and battery are going out. My only concern is the screen resolution. What say you MR? I’m in Portland Oregon if that matters . Have an Apple store downtown. Thanks and happy Holliday’s.
iPhone 7 Plus is better than a XR. Keep it and get the battery replaced (or device replacement for the mic).
Still a better all around phone.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
There are carriers offering buy one, get one free on these phones (some aren't even requiring a new line or trade in) and still can't sell them why does Apple think offering more trade in value will make them sell?

They are truly overpriced and honestly don't have the best features out there among flagship phones right now.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Apple has thrown their dignity to the side to try to get these things to sell lmao
Yeah, that's so true. Apple's problem is that they've sold a ton of awesome quality iPhones and set too much of their company's bottom line on these devices. No one wants to trade their nice smartphones in since it costs so much money.

It's isn't a death knell, but this sure makes one think.

ksec

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2015
Downside is without Apple releasing numbers anymore, we will never have the answer to your (our) confusion. We can only speculate.

Maybe their stock dive will wake them up to start listening to consumer wants and stop ignoring our requests.
They will still report revenue.

The thing is, these trade in are done by Bright-star and partners, and the price are set by the 2nd hand market. Once there are far too many 2nd Hand iPhone 6 / 6s / 7 these trade in prices will drop.

Last edited:

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
If I trade in my perfectly working iPhone and decide later that I no longer want it and want my old phone back, how long will Apple keep my old phone at the store? Does that mean I am SOL and have to stick with the new phone? I will have to ask Apple...

drinkingtea

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2016
Make the XR thinner. They're too damn thick. Give them OLED screens. Trim down the bezels. Then they might be attractive at the price Apple is asking for.

Reactions: HJM.NL

ksec

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2015
If I trade in my perfectly working iPhone and decide later that I no longer want it and want my old phone back, how long will Apple keep my old phone at the store? Does that mean I am SOL and have to stick with the new phone? I will have to ask Apple...
I am pretty sure you wont get your old phone back, may be they could do a refund. ( Your Trade in as Apple Store Gift Card and refund the rest to your credit card )

Reactions: macfacts