Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

please22

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Errr...what?

I don't think you realize what Android 4.2 can do ...

I personally think that iOS apps are better and run a larger gamut but you know what, I agree I might be wrong.

But isn't that the point?! People don't know what android can do today, not the garbage it was before?

Samsung is throwing money at, "hey we're much cooler". Meanwhile people are still stuck with the image that Android is still filled with mediocre apps. What does Apple do? The swoop in and reinforce that image.

And yall are arguing that this isn't effective.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple needs to come back with something strong. They just let Samsung make a mockery out of the iPhone 5 and the Apple fans. Usually it's Apple doing that.
Even their product release events have become predictable and boring. I hope this is just the calm before the real Apple is back.

And the latest estimates are that the iPhone 5 outsold Samsung's flagship phone almost 2:1

Even Apple's older iPhone 4S squeaked by it too.

I think Samsung's mockery backfired ;)

strategy_analytics_top_phones_4q2012.png

----------

Errr... what?

I don't think you realize what Android 4.2 can do...

98.4% of Android users don't realize what Android 4.2 can do either...

;)

nU7gUo3.gif

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Seriously? I mean how many Clock apps are their? or fart apps, couldn't we just have a section for Good apps and the other 899,900 or so can go in a bad app sections which is locked and needs a special retarded shaped key to open.. ffs

Billions of people out there! Hundreds of millions use iOS. Haven't you thought that they may have different taste from each other? What is not good for you may be good for someone else.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Yeah, I cringe whenever I hear any of these ads on. I was unimpressed with the first set of these, and remain confused as to why Apple keeps putting more of these on TV.

I can't even pay attention long enough to notice what apps they're showing off, I just get turned off by the seemingly random words and the shouting.

I really don't get it. Maybe these resonate with the cheerleader squad or something, and these are actually really cool. TWO FOUR SIX EIGHT GO TEAM APPLE YOU ARE GREAT! WOO!

I dunno. I'll always prefer the real emotional FaceTime ads, or the kids playing with a magical iPad ads. I guess that's all old news, now. I have no problem with app-based ads, but it's just the format of these that confounds me.

Really it's the shouting. Why is there shouting?

Last edited:

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
The iPhone is 6 years old... everyone already knows it's

• a widescreen iPod with touch control
  • a revolutionary mobile phone
  • a breakthrough internet communications device
:D

And what's the first thing people do when they buy an iPhone? Install a bunch of 3rd party apps: Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, and a bunch of games among other things...

I understand your point... but the iPhone is part of a platform... not just a device. And apps make up a large part of the experience.

What can the phone itself do? Make calls, text, send email, play music and videos. I don't think you need a commercial for that. My old trackball Blackberry did that ;)

I agree that they could have run this ad for previous iPhones. And they should have. Older ads only focused on one app. These commercials show many apps.

The Apps development and innovation is the only thing moving forward at Apple, fact that the iDevice hardware allows those apps to look and operate as great as they do is a natural progress of hardware - software harmony.

Apple got nothing outstanding to show in the iphone 5, that's why they focus 100% on showcasing apps and nothing else. I'm aware of the basics that any phone can do but how about features that a smartphone should do? Biometric security, NFC, Wireless Charging, a less dead boring Home screen with widgets support, a decent Camera that compares to what's available by other Smartphone makers.. the list is endless, that's the kinda stuff personally i'd like to see and would make me go buy the product.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
I dunno..., maybe you are being facetious?

A quick search in the Google Play store finds a few Parrot apps, including the AR.FreeFlight 2.0, as well as a whole bunch of guitar tuning apps, such as Tuner - gStrings, as well as three separate Philips Hue control apps, including the stock Philips one.

Maybe I am stupid, but I am not sure what Apple is trying to achieve here and how this is differentiating the iPhone?

Or maybe Apple thinks its fanbase is uninformed?

Good points. I think it's the holistic approach. For example, I believe Hue (for the time being) can ONLY be purchased at Apple stores.. Why would an Android owner assume they could use that product as well? I, apparently like you, until doing a specific search didn't realize that Parrot had now added Android support.. it was iOS exclusive initially & for quite some time. Main point.. Android commercials focus on basic functionality.. or else they shoot themselves in the foot. Imagine: showing apps would be the equivalent of them saying- "look what you can do on ANY Android phone, not just ours!!". So they stick with showing lame "features" like bump to share, that are proprietary & handset specific. They also aren't into promoting particular apps, as they may only work on 50% of their handsets and force close on the others.. such is Android compatibility. Apple can easily highlight a huge amount of apps that they know to work flawlessly on their most recent generations of devices. At any rate... not being facetious- I think these commercials are in stark contrast to Android commercials in that they show the use with awesome 3rd party apps & 3rd party peripherals.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple tonight posted two new television spots for the iPhone on its YouTube page. The ads, entitled 'Brilliant' and 'Discover', highlight some of the more than 700,000 apps available on the App Store, using a variety of words to describe them.

Previous ads in the series include 'Alive', 'Together', and 'Hollywood', all for the iPad.

YouTube: video
YouTube: video
Apps shown in the ads include Gojee, Cards, Mike V: Skateboard Party, Starbucks, iBooks, MyScript Calculator, Philips Hue, GarageBand, The Elements for iPhone 4, Apple Maps, Infinity Blade 2, Cleartune, Solar Walk, iPhoto, Yelp, and Shazam.

Article Link: Apple Extends New TV Ad Campaign to iPhone With 'Brilliant' and 'Discover' Spots

I really do hate that sound track so annoying and those words that pop out n get shouted are so annoying too. Why can't apple go back to the old ways the ads were done and have the old sounded guy talk through he ads I can't remember the name. He was cool

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
I personally think that iOS apps are better and run a larger gamut but you know what, I agree I might be wrong.

But isn't that the point?! People don't know what android can do today, not the garbage it was before?

Samsung is throwing money at, "hey we're much cooler". Meanwhile people are still stuck with the image that Android is still filled with mediocre apps. What does Apple do? The swoop in and reinforce that image.

And yall are arguing that this isn't effective.

To be fair, I still don't see some of my favorite iOS apps on google play, and the last time I checked out the app quality (a couple of months ago), the quality of tablet apps sucked so much that it even made me grateful of my iPad. And for the phone apps, I see relatives with S3s who still complain about how some apps were implemented.

please22

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
To be fair, I still don't see some of my favorite iOS apps on google play, and the last time I checked out the app quality (a couple of months ago), the quality of tablet apps sucked so much that it even made me grateful of my iPad. And for the phone apps, I see relatives with S3s who still complain about how some apps were implemented.

Right on.

Check out the comments on this post:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/03/11/new-sweet-iphone-commercial/

A blog dedicated to the jailbreaking crowd is filled with the question:
does anyone know what app that is?

For the most part people have been educated on what features smartphones have these days. Its almost impossible for any platform to come out with a feature that won't be duplicated right away. But apps? Rich apps that get people asking, hey what's that? That can't be copied.

Of course Apple should play up its strength. Forget features. What can I do with my phone?

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Much like the top brass at Apple and it's products now, directionless and distinctly average.

So continues the slow inexorable march to the middle.

nikespex

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Much like the top brass at Apple and it's products now, directionless and distinctly average.

So continues the slow inexorable march to the middle.

Agreed. I loved this company and it's so sad to see it languishing in mediocracy as of late.

timoldbean

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
Isn't this just a gentle reminder of the great diversity of things you can do with an iPhone? It's not promoting anything new really but it certainly made me want to check out what other iOS apps can be found on the app store.

It doesn't demand much attention, kinda light-hearted and over quickly. Where's the pain?

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
Well made, fast and fresh. Let Google Chrome keep copying the older iphone ads with the simple piano notes playing in background to suggest simplicity. Apple has moved on.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I love how this "In your face" Apps of Apple doesn't say anything about the iPhone. Apple is a very insulting company and that's why other companies like Samsung want's to erase it from the map.

I love Apple! Seriously.

It's like... "Galaxy what? Anyway look what I do with my iPhone... Cool huh?"

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
This half-assed GarageBand created music couple with irritating shouting is really making me hate apple.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
No need to get worked up.

New Apple (post Jobs) are relying on the past fanaticism and loyalty of their existing customer base to overlook their current lack of innovative ideas and daft and desperate changes for changes sake (the unnecessary Lightning connector on the iPhone for one) so they're just rehashing all their old apps by making blip-vert promos so folks won't notice.

Moral of the tale? If you've got nothing new to say. Don't say it..

Damn You New Apple and Damn You King's Clothes!

There. I said it! :eek:

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Obnoxious or not, the ad really shows what it's all about with a mobile platform: the apps.

And in that sense, Apple is still winning, both in quantity and quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.