Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
Cant understand why last year was first position because the iPhne X (nothing new in smartphone industry but few inprovements) the apple watch 3 (nothing new in the smartwatch industry beyond few improvements) or arkit which is still in development

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Fast Company haven't checked Tim Cook's dictionary. According to Tim innovation means a case with a hump, colorful watch band, animoji and a price increase. Fast Company this is our message for you "can't innovate anymore, my ass!".

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Apple certainly could be doing better but how are these charts made up?

For example Walt Disney. What are they doing besides Toy Story 15, Frozen 69, rerun of Lion King and copying Netflix? NBA? Really?

I can't talk about the other companies (besides Alibaba which is a sort of Amazon copy) because I have never heard of most of them.

Apple again, the Watch 3 was somehow super innovative last year (it wasn't) but the Watch 4 (it was) gets no mention?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Apple stopped making large strides with innovation years ago. Instead Apple drip-feeds innovation via incremental annual updates to their products.

There's been no innovation with macOS for years. Instead it just gets a tiny maintenance release annually with a new stupid name & a couple of new features.

iOS is in reasonable shape but Android hasn't stood still and raced past iOS in certain areas. However, iOS is tired, dull & needs a huge revamp, particularly on iPad where iOS just makes ground-breaking hardware behave like a giant iPhone.

I don't really need to say anything that hasn't already been said about the severely neglected iMac. And don't get me started on the inept & badly designed MacBook Pro's. They need an urgent redesign and lets hope Apple don't get too innovative on the already sky-high pricing structure.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
These boards are so funny, everyone is so anti-Apple.

I used to think that, but honestly think that people are really just genuinely disappointed in Apple. Which is a mix of Steve passing and just the company inevitably changing.

People feel really passionate about Apple because of Steve and he underdog story of the company. People act like they have a personal intimate bond with Apple.

And I get it, Apple’s products have changed so many lives and the company has really revolutionized many things.

We don’t know how it would be if Steve was alive, but even while he WAS alive, the company wasn’t perfect by any means.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Apple really needs to lift its game, its not enough to make the iPhone/iPad faster each cycle or improve the spec sheets of its products. They need true innovation and even if the also release a foldable iPhone at the end of the year they will be seen as coping Samsung, which is not a good place to be!

Reactions: simonmet

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
To be fair apple watch ecg is a huge inovation, we have to play fair with apple we all moan we want more and trust me I do but they are still the fastest and best eco system out there

You mean the ECG that if I went to the store and bought a new Apple Watch still wouldn't be available on my wrist? It's not rolled out outside the US, so here (Norway) the innovation level for Apple looks even lower.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

No, people are just fed up with Apple not investing all the money they make from us into new & exciting products. There's no ambition to do anything more than incremental updates to hardware and it's sad.

Apple's software across all platforms is stale, boring, out of date & years behind rival platforms & services. As an example there's no excuse for iTunes in it's current state at all. Why does iTunes still exist? It should be a web app with an optional native app for those that still sync locally & the podcast & video section spun off into different apps.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Apple stopped making large strides with innovation years ago. Instead Apple drip-feeds innovation via incremental annual updates to their products.

I would argue Apple had very rarely made large strides at all. People seems to remember those glorious days, and forget Apple is actually the master of iteration.

The biggest problem, was in the old days Apple manage to iterate and innovate at a very fast pace with little resources . Steve have often repeated this "the total was greater than the sum of the parts". In 2018 Apple earned more Net Profits than All of 2006 to 2011 Combined, the year when Steve passed away. If you take it up to 2014, the first 3 years roadmap still had Steve's finger print all over it. And from 2014 to now, there was clearly lack of focus and vision, the pace of iteration were slow, while the number were doing great, I don't feel the product, comparatively speaking as good as they were.

Apple Music, Apple Map, The Coming Apple TV Sub, etc.... There is clearly a lack of a Product Person that comes in and says "This Sucks". Do it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: u+ive and JackANSI

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Don't worry, Phil will be able to say one more time "my ass" during WWDC while announcing the new modular Mac Pro and Apple will make it to the top of the list again.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Apple really needs to lift its game, its not enough to make the iPhone/iPad faster each cycle or improve the spec sheets of its products. They need true innovation and even if the also release a foldable iPhone at the end of the year they will be seen as coping Samsung, which is not a good place to be!
Making the Mac faster each cycle and improving the spec sheets would be pretty nice.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They need true innovation and even if the also release a foldable iPhone at the end of the year they will be seen as coping Samsung, which is not a good place to be!

Apple isn’t releasing a foldable phone at the end of the year, and they don’t need to yet. And for those who are saying that Apple ‘doesn’t innovate’ or ‘they can’t bring anything to the market’, perfect counter examples of execution was the Apple Watch, AirPods, the HomePod at least is competing in a new segment for Apple.

Also, It’s not just products that make Apple successful, it’s their services, and it’s so under-looked by many, that they’re expanding with things like Apple Pay, the App Store has grown exponentially, Apple Music, etc. I don’t think consumers necessarily remain loyal to Apple because of all their hardware standards, it’s the services they offer, which is a likely a reason that Apples growth for services has been on the rise now for years.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
So my take (which i'm not even sure of myself) but with a saturated market and generally very well specced competition all producing almost the same things now.. having been with quite a few different manufacturers for various devices, Innovative to me is a reliable device, a good & enjoyable user experience along with great after care and support. I don't think i've recieved this from any other company than Apple - maybe in a sea awash with good products this is what counts as innovation now? versus trying to add an integrated holographic projector (now that i say that.. i want one..!)

edit: What I think i'm saying is innovation can be in the experience as well as the technology. (Damn that was much easier to type!)

Last edited:
Reactions: bayelrey80

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
In addition to a master list, Fast Company publishes a breakdown of most innovative companies by sector. Apple topped the list in the "Consumer Electronics" category, beating out companies like Google, Microsoft, and Dell.
Which is probably the most important one.

This. How are people missing that?
It seems everybody just reads the headline and races to the comment section to exude bitterness.
When did Macrumors comments become so toxic?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Deservedly so.

Surprised they were that high, actually.

No worries, few more animojis and watchbands and the top spot is theirs again...

They innovate... in Animoji’s....

Hmmmm!! Unusual comments to read on Macrumors..... not

Yes and when you check their comment histories many of them appear to have joined just to flood the board just to bash anything Apple.

As you can see from their comments, they do have a lot to say ;)

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I’m surprised the AW4 wasn’t mentioned, but not surprised Apple wasn’t higher on the list. But, importantly, no other consumer electronics companies in the smartphone realm were higher on the list than Apple, which to me suggests nobody is considered to be “innovating” in a major way. Although, Google’s Night Sight, machine learning/AI is really impressive.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Apple isn’t releasing a foldable phone at the end of the year, and they don’t need to yet. And for those who are saying that Apple ‘doesn’t innovate’ or ‘they can’t bring anything to the market’, perfect counter examples of execution was the Apple Watch, AirPods, the HomePod at least is competing in a new segment for Apple.

Also, It’s not just products that make Apple successful, it’s their services, and it’s so under-looked by many, that they’re expanding with things like Apple Pay, the App Store has grown exponentially, Apple Music, etc. I don’t think consumers necessarily remain loyal to Apple because of all their hardware standards, it’s the services they offer, which is a likely a reason that Apples growth for services has been on the rise now for years.
Apple's services are pretty lacklustre.

But I agree Apple doesn't need to innovate more, their innovation in pretty good and I am sure plenty of weird stuff is brewing somewhere.

What they need to do is execute properly. Execute properly is doing more or less the same stuff than now but on time and done properly. For example:
Who needs years (plural) to launch a run of the mill desktop?
Who takes years to change the CPU of another desktop?
When is iOS going to be more than a phone OS?
Who keeps a failed keyboard design for 3 years? Who designs a failed keyboard design in the first place?
Even touch bar could be a success (the idea is interesting), where is the keyboard with touch bar bundled with the iMac and others, where is it on all other Macs? Are they sabotaging touch bar on purpose?
I could go on easily.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London

Fast Company today published its annual rankings of the 50 most innovative companies in the world, with Apple dropping from 2018's top spot to 17th place this year.

According to the rankings, the most innovative company for 2019 is Chinese tech firm Meituan Dianping, which "expedites the booking and delivery of services such as food, hotel stays, and movie tickets." In 2018, the platform facilitated $33.8 billion transaction for more than 350 million people in 2,800 cities.

a12bionicchip-800x563.jpg

Other companies in the top five include Singapore-based ride-hailing company Grab, NBA, The Walt Disney Company, and women's fishing e-commerce service Stitch Fix. Square, Oatly, Twitch, Shopify, and Alibaba Group also filled positions higher than Apple, whose in-house processor achievements in 2018 were highlighted:
Last year Apple was given first place for its 2017 accomplishments, which included the iPhone X, the Apple Watch Series 3, ARKit, and its work to improve medical care with CareKit and ResearchKit. The year previous it was ranked the number four most valuable company.

To create these rankings, Fast Company says that more than three dozen editors, reporters, and contributors surveyed thousands of companies to identify the most notable innovations of the year and trace their impact on businesses, industries, and the larger culture.

In addition to a master list, Fast Company publishes a breakdown of most innovative companies by sector. Apple topped the list in the "Consumer Electronics" category, beating out companies like Google, Microsoft, and Dell.

Article Link: Apple Falls From 1st to 17th Spot in 'World's Most Innovative Company' Rankings

Surely they get credit for sticking a Kinect in a notch on their phone?

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Or, maybe the sentiment has changed? It used to be easy being an Apple fan, not so much anymore. From quality control, major hardware design issues and flaws, poor software reliability, anti-consumer changes, and high prices, it's very frustrating these days.
It's still pretty easy if you don't just read the headlines, and think a little further instead of just following the (shortsighted) conclusions everybody else makes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.