MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

235202-ATI.jpg

Apple recently posted a support document acknowledging an issue with ATI X1900 XT graphics cards that shipped with Mac Pro systems between August 2006 and January 2008. (via ZDnet and forums )
If your Mac Pro experiences distorted video and has an ATI X1900 XT card in it, you will need to bring your computer's serial number and the graphics card itself into an Apple Authorized Service Provider or an Apple Retail Store location for verification and to exchange the affected graphics card for a new one. Affected graphics cards have "V6Z" in the last part of the card's serial number.
This program covers affected ATI X1900 XT video cards three years from the original date of purchase or until January 31, 2011, whichever provides longer coverage. The ATI X1900 XT issues have been well documented and the subject of many support discussions on our forums and others. So, if you are affected and can dig up your old graphics card, Apple has an exchange or refund waiting for you.

Article Link: Apple Finally Acknowledges and Addresses ATI X1900 XT Issue

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
pictured above: my ATI X1900 I managed to dig out of a box.

arn

Comment

sterno74

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
FU Apple

WOW, big FU to Apple. I replaced that POS card a while ago. Unless taking it in is going to get me the hundreds back I spent on that piece of garbage, Apple can kiss my ass.

Comment

NakedPaulToast

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
Almost five years to acknowledge a problem. That's how they stay number 1 in Customer Satisfaction.

Apple: You do not have a problem.
Apple Sycophant: I do not have a problem.

Apple: Check off Extremely Satisfied.
Apple Sycophant: Checking off Extremely Satisfied.

Apple: These are not the droids you're looking for.
Apple Sycophant: These are not the droids we're looking for.

Apple: Steve needs your kidney.
Apple Sycophant: Here take it.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
WOW

I never thought this would happen. I'd just given in and decided to live with it. I'm just...wow...I find this hard to believe.

But still, happy!

Comment

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
Haha. That was absolutely hilarious.

Almost five years to acknowledge a problem. That's how they stay number 1 in Customer Satisfaction.

Comment

minik

Contributor
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I have 2 malfunctioning cards on my desk. The card is basically a lemon, I have to clean it from time to time.

Comment

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
WOW...I wonder if it'll take this long for them to put out a fix for the trackpad bug on the MacBooks/MacBook Pros. I certainly hope not :eek:

Comment

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Quite pathetic that it took them this long to acknowledge. Honestly, it's almost patronizing that they decide to do it now.

Comment

edolecki

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2009
Great...

I believe that this card fried my MacPro (heat) and Apple wanted $1k to replace my motherboard and CPUs. That was years ago. My video was going right before it died, oh well...

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
WOW, big FU to Apple. I replaced that POS card a while ago. Unless taking it in is going to get me the hundreds back I spent on that piece of garbage, Apple can kiss my ass.

From the website...

Apple said:
If you believe you have paid for repair or replacement due to this issue, contact Apple regarding a refund.

Well, you were probably ok until the ass comment. Now you're on their list. :D

Comment

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
hm... my only problems with the card have been it's poor ventilation design. My Mac Pro was making a horrible amount of noise for weeks and I couldn't isolate the issue. Someone in a forum pointed out that the x1900 xt has a tendency to clog up with dust and sure enough it's air intake was completely caked in dust bunny. Never seemed to experience any performance issues, but shame on Apple for just now dealing with this issue.

Comment

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
This is interesting. Years ago I complained about my card failing just outside of warranty. I was contacted by executive relations and they agreed to replace my card as they wanted to send it for testing to see what the root cause was.

I am glad my card went to good use. :D only took a couple years....

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wow, Apple provides a freebie (refund of repair costs for those affected), and some people still have their panties in a bunch? :confused:

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Wow, Apple provides a freebie (refund of repair costs for those affected), and some people still have their panties in a bunch? :confused:

Well, you know, I've been using a faulty product for 4 years that Apple admitted had a problem years ago but then, at the same time, said it wasn't their problem.

So, yeah. I'm a bit bunched.

What part of that story is cool to you?

Comment

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

ROFLMAO!!! Thanks for the laugh!

Seriously though, this is ridiculous... why even bother?!

Comment

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007

The cuts sat numbers didn't say 100%. But the Apple haters do need something to make their sad lives worth living I guess.

Comment

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know why

I don't know why I kept that card after replacing it with a new one, but I did. I'm guess I'm glad I did. Just can't believe how long it took Apple to come around. I'm curious what type of refund they will give, not like they don't have the money for a full one.

Oh and mine is a defective "V6Z" model.

Comment

twonine

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Apple had already been replacing these for years

We have 8 MacPro's with the X1900s, and had issues with just about all of them.

Whenever we called to replace the card, I just said "it's an X1900, and we're seeing artifacting and screen blanking issues" and they would immediately stop troubleshooting and send out free replacements as a User-Servicable part.

Kinda weird that this is now news.. they have been replacing these for me for years.

Comment

BullyBully

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
Quadro FX

I have had several problems with this particular card. After I had the card replaced twice, so when the third card started screwing up, I didn't let Apple get off the hook with sending me a new one. I spent about 45 minutes or an hour on the phone, but they finally relented and replaced the card with a Quadro FX card, at no charge to me. I was quite satisfied with that, as the Quadro FX was a much more valuable card, and has functioned in that machine quite well since then.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.