Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedWeasel

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
This is beyond pathetic.
But yeah…“finally“.
Indeed. 25 years ago, an app like this would maybe have qualified as a sample app including source code. Now it’s apparently worth a news article. Sad.

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
So it didn't have it initially because they couldn't figure out how to make it perfect. Suddenly, Apple has woken up to the fact that their products haven't been anywhere near perfect in over a decade, so they can safely throw together anything and put it out there.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
This is a croc, my bet is my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 won't "qualify." No matter, I have Apalon's Calculator Pro and that is my go-to electronic calculator.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68010
Sep 18, 2018
And here I've been saying we'll never see real macOS pro apps on iPad.

It won't just be a calculator app on iPad. It will be the best calculator app for iPad (Apple) has ever made, and we think you're going to love it!

• Haha
Reactions: SalisburySam

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
Apple stock drops>>>Apple announces calculator app for iPad

I see what's happening here. ;p

rubenrp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
While I'm interested in seeing the integration with Notes, good to excellent free (and ad-free) calculators are not exactly scarce for the iPad, nor are inexpensive to more expensive but powerful options. Just off the top of my head on the free front:

- The Spotlight search field (yes, I know - but I'm always surprised to find out someone doesn't know about this option);
- NumWorks (powerful, classical layout);
- The GeoGebra and Desmos apps (multiple types and layout options for both);
- Microsoft Math Solver (handwriting oriented);
- PCalc Lite (ad-free - can be enhanced via in-app purchases)

On the paid front, I'm pretty sure that every possible option, from traditional four-function versions to symbolic math apps, as well as virtual versions of pretty much every calculator ever created by HP or TI, is available. In fact, TI has a version of its top-of-the line TI-Nspire specially designed for the iPad...

Reactions: kc9hzn and NetMage

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command

Apple is finally planning a Calculator app for the iPad, over 14 years after launching the device, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Now, if only we could get Instagram and WhatsApp for the iPad…

As if Apple has anything to do with either of those third-party apps...?

Solid journalism there, MacRumors... ;^p

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
The control center shortcut shouldn't take you to the full screen app, but instead pop up a calculator over the current app you're working in. And the full app should have extra functions to take advantage of the real estate, like graphing functions or being able to do write longer queries.

Reactions: Böhme417

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It tool the power of the M-series chips to be able to run it without overheating or draining the battery.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
Yeah, that's weird on Instagram's part since they came out with a Windows desktop/tablet app for Windows 10 and later in 2016 but still have not done anything for iPad.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
In the early days the first full Apple app I created to test the new platform was a calculator app. Using the Apple supplied tools at at the time it took about a week to get right.

melonbread5

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
They were waiting on a software drought to finally release this, guess this will be the highlight of iPadOS 18

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
compassfuturesissue2.jpg

Spike1999

macrumors regular
May 19, 2020
First allowing emulators and now a calculator app for ipad, is Apple finally waking up.

Jean Claude

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2014
Wait, what, I've always had a calculator on my iPad ... it's the one that looks just like the one on my phone. Am I missing something here? Maybe I downloaded a 3rd-party version years ago, but don't remember that.

• Wow
Reactions: SidricTheViking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.