Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been slapped with a near $2 million fine in the Brazilian state of São Paulo over violations of the Consumer Law Code due to the lack of a charger in the box for newer iPhones, Brazilian tech news outlet Tilt reports.

iphone-11-pro-charger.jpg

Procon-SP, São Paulo's consumer protection agency, decided to fine Apple following intense scrutiny over the decision to remove the power adapter from the boxes of iPhones. With the iPhone 12, Apple removed the power adapter from the box, saying that doing so will reduce carbon emissions and the use of rare-earth metals.

In December, the Brazilian agency informed Apple that selling an iPhone in the country without a charger in the box is a violation of the Consumer Defense Code. Apple responded to the agency's concerns by saying that most customers already have spare adapters and that providing another one in the box is unneeded.

Fernando Capez, Procon-SP's executive director, offered a stern warning to Apple following the fine, saying that it needs to respect and understand Brazilian consumer law and institutions. Alongside the lack of a charger, Apple is also being fined for misleading customers about the water resistance in iPhones.

Since the iPhone 7, iPhones have been water-resistant to different specifications. The more recent iPhone 12 series, for example, is certified for water submersion of up to 6 meters for as long as 30 minutes.

Procon-SP claims that Apple refused to repair devices for customers who had suffered water damage with their "water-resistant" iPhones, even though they're under warranty. Other charges brought forward to Apple are claims that it deliberately slows down older phones with iOS updates to encourage customers to purchase newer models.

Apple will have a chance to appeal to the $2 million fine. We've reached out to Apple for comment and will update this article if we hear back.

Article Link: Apple Fined $2 Million in Brazil for Selling iPhones Without Chargers

obamtl

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
I laud Apple’s desire to protect the environment. Making the iPhone box smaller is a good thing, and reducing unused charger bricks is a good thing. BUT if the environment were all that they were concerned about, then they can ask customers when buying an iPhone IF they want a charger, and include a charger in a smaller separate box for free, thus reducing the shipping volume all the same. It’s charging for the charger many will need that’s unacceptable, and I’m glad Brazil’s held them to account for that.

Comment

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Once again, this is great news. I’m glad some countries are at least realizing what a dumb move this is fuelled entirely by financial motivation and nothing to do with environmental impact.

They changed the charger the same time they got rid of it from the box. Tell me more about how we’re supposed to use our existing USBC bricks that we got with our iPhone….?

They sell charger bricks separately in a ton of packaging and at exorbitant prices and they just got called out for it.

Bravo, next country now please.

Comment

Yokon54

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2021
I laud Apple’s desire to protect the environment. Making the iPhone box smaller is a good thing, and reducing unused charger bricks is a good thing. BUT if the environment were all that they were concerned about, then they can ask customers when buying an iPhone IF they want a charger, and include a charger in a smaller separate box for free, thus reducing the shipping volume all the same. It’s charging for the charger many will need that’s unacceptable, and I’m glad Brazil’s held them to account for that.
Yes, a truly devastating blow from Brazil.

Comment

contacos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
"Apple responded to the agency's concerns by saying that most customers already have spare adapters and that providing another one in the box is unneeded."

If that were the only reason then they'd allow people to add one to their order for free.

especially since the included cable doesn’t even work with those adapters people supposedly already have. Such marketing PR BS from Apple. They just want to sell MagSafe accessories

Comment

WoodpeckerBaby

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2016
They should've included a redemption code with every iPhone so that if you need or want a charger, you can pick one up for free. It's currently sold for $19.99 which is a lot for many countries. That difference can change the buying decision for people in developing countries.

Comment

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Good. I can appreciate that plenty of people have spare chargers but some people don't. Plus the factor that most spare chargers are likely USB-A make the USB-C cable included in the box useless unless the customer buys another charger thus defeating the point of removing it from the box in the first place. Yes the customer can use a spare USB-A to Lightning cable if they have one but again not everyone does.

Apple could have avoided this by offering a charger at a discount at purchase if a customer needs one.

Comment

techfreak23

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2013
They should've included a redemption code with every iPhone so that if you need or want a charger, you can pick one up for free. It's currently sold for $19.99 which is a lot for many countries. That difference can change the buying decision for people in developing countries.
lol just commented something similar. I wouldn’t be surprised if they start doing that this year. At the very least in select countries with laws like this. Would save them some trouble.

Reactions: Huck
Comment

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
See Apple you need to include chargers with the iPhones.
As I've said before to others, if chargers are as completely necessary as stated. And that Apples motives are entirely self motivated greed which they disguise behind environmentalism. Then, again, as critically necessary items that otherwise will entirely screw over the customer to otherwise not be included:

I'd like everyone else to not only just have the backbone and <Phil Schiller voice> courage </> to continue to include it in box. But, as champions of competition and choice and freedom of choice, to publicly rebuke Apple on this. No memes. No laughs or lolz. Just, that's not how we think and we promise to you, you'll always have a charger. Kudos to the company that says, we're just going to make you (apple) regret ever excluding the charger.

Comment

apparatchik

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008

They could just include a coupon/gift card valid for a charger in case you do need one, problem solved.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.