Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Interesting how 9to5mac *still* doesn’t do any of his reports. I haven’t seen them report on him or give him credit on anything for the last month. Are they holding a grudge?? If I got on their page now, nothing is up. Whereas MR and AI have it plain as day. This is a pretty big leak
Haha I’ll bet they‘re PO’d because they’re not getting the leaks. Considering they’re a rumor site it’s kind of petty to not report on something this big. I would love to know who‘s leaking and why Apple is unable to stop it. There’s absolutely no way the company is intentionally leaking this stuff. They might leak something very generic like they’re working on AR glasses but never something this specific and they’d leak it to the WSJ or someone like Matthew Panzarino not this guy.

Reactions: nordique

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Whoa... this is much sooner than expected. Feels false... also I hope that neither of these glasses is how the final product will look. Frankly I'm hoping Apple invents a new style for glasses that becomes vogue because modern glasses all look terrible to my tastes.

Also, now that the name has been leaked, I think we can all agree it's terrible and must therefore be the fake name, or else was the name but is no longer now that it has been leaked, so hopefully we get something with a great name.

iSee would be a million times better... anyone got any better names?

Apple iSight!

Bring back the name! iSight is back in a new form!
I use an iSight for a webcam as part of my WFH setup. What's truly amazing is the magnetic stand working with my Dell Screen. :D (and the two adapters I use to get FW400 to TB2)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm trying not to get too excited...I have a feeling the first iteration will be meh with the second or third generation really hitting its stride. I think incorporating prescription lens is a great idea...some of the price may be covered by insurance. What it comes down to for me is battery life...That said, people like me are used to getting a pair of glasses once every year or so as our prescriptions change...If this thing ends up being good, I could see buying new versions regularly, depending on pricing.
I wonder if they will offer different styles. Apple Watch is somewhat customizable with bands. If Apple Glass only comes in one style that will be a bummer.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

Soi Dog

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2015
Thailand
It is good Glass won't have a camera. People really do not like to be secretly recorded. Especially in this social media age.

i agree, people won’t like to be secretly recorded. but apple’s glasses not having a camera won’t help people’s defiance as all chinese counterfeits will include a camera.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I think it’s not so much that they can’t, but that they don’t have to hold up their watch or their phone.

Imagine if you are walking with your phone in hand and you need to keep looking at it for directions from google maps. With glasses, you have a screen right in front of you that could keep beaming instructions, and free up your hands from needing to hold anything at all.
The real question and use case is for driving. Will these be more dangerous than looking at your Maps on your screen or less dangerous?
[automerge]1589902241[/automerge]
I was expecting a standalone device like Hololens but with features more consumer friendly. Relying on iPhone is a big bummer.
Would you wear a Hololens outside?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Apple-Glass.png

If you're gonna make mockups of pretend marketing materials, at least download their San Francisco font. Using the default Adobe font Myriad Pro just looks... kinda bootleg.

edit: here, I did it for you

Apple-Glass.png

Last edited:

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
Would you wear a Hololens outside?

Apple could have made a more streamline device. It's Apple we are talking about. besides having a smaller less powerful chip ( Older A10, A11 chip) would have been perfect use case of this. Also Unlike Hololens no one will be using it for CAD or 3D modeling or other instructional work with Azure connect.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Everyone complains Apple doesn't innovate anymore, and then when we finally hear about something that's new and innovative and people complain that it'll be a flop. it's Apple... they don't do flops, think about it...
The pretend push back against this, (when Google touted the idea years ago), IIRC was, "who wants to wear some thing ugly like that'?
The real push pack was, "It's not Apple I don't want it".

abrantes09

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2019
Interesting how 9to5mac *still* doesn’t do any of his reports. I haven’t seen them report on him or give him credit on anything for the last month. Are they holding a grudge?? If I got on their page now, nothing is up. Whereas MR and AI have it plain as day. This is a pretty big leak

yeah, they have some issues. Some 9to5mac writers and editors actually blocked him. The publicly denounced his leaks and then he proved them wrong. Kinda funny, ngl.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
My guess is that they may play Gen 1 safe. Make it just a dumb screen with limited functionality (like the original Apple Watch) but enough to deliver the core experience. More like a proof of concept.

We should expect gold ones. At ridiculous prices. Just to make headlines.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Well, I said before that if they offer prescriptions then I would be more interested. Can't wait for more details.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
I think what I find more interesting here, and with other recent leaks from Prosser, isn’t the products or info itself, but more so, who are these people inside Apple leaking this kind of detailed information - prices, product names, etc. Kind of stuff that traditionally was easier to keep secret.

Ming-Chi Kuo seems to have connections with the supply chain, but Prosser definitely seems to directly know higher up folks on the inside. Wonder why they tell him all this.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Whoa... this is much sooner than expected. Feels false... also I hope that neither of these glasses is how the final product will look. Frankly I'm hoping Apple invents a new style for glasses that becomes vogue because modern glasses all look terrible to my tastes.

I'm hoping for the complete opposite. I don't want my glasses to look like an 'Apple' product. I want them to look like regular glasses, and there's loads of beautiful styles, see: Oliver Peoples for casual styles or Gucci's simpler women's frames for professional, elegant styles.

The last thing I want is some glaringly obvious Apple product hanging over the front of my face like a fashion victim. Not everyone is a student or hipster barista and can get away with odd looking accessories.

I would put up with very minimal bulk on the frame itself. Head-on these would need to look indistinguishable from regular frames. An Apple logo would need to be embossed at worst. Anything like an obvious white or silver Apple logo would also rule these out for me.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
I can’t ever imagine buying one of these, but I said the same about Apple Watch and am loving my AW5, so, yeah, I should plan to order one in about 4-6 years :)

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Haha I’ll bet they‘re PO’d because they’re not getting the leaks. Considering they’re a rumor site it’s kind of petty to not report on something this big. I would love to know who‘s leaking and why Apple is unable to stop it. There’s absolutely no way the company is intentionally leaking this stuff. They might leak something very generic like they’re working on AR glasses but never something this specific and they’d leak it to the WSJ or someone like Matthew Panzarino not this guy.

yeah, they have some issues. Some 9to5mac writers and editors actually blocked him. The publicly denounced his leaks and then he proved them wrong. Kinda funny, ngl.

I just find that bizarre.
Oh well, one more reason to come to MacRumors instead.

Shame because I do like going to 9to5 but if they don’t report on these leaks what’s the point? I come to these sites to see the latest Apple Rumors as I’m sure many others do. Lame how they are holding a grudge.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Apple Windows...oh wait. :)

How about AppleLens or AppleView?

Ooh, I kind of like the sound of Apple Lens...
[automerge]1589904435[/automerge]
It's the ultimate in crime prevention. Don't try anything on me - everything you do is recorded.

Although I hope faces and voices are automatically distorted until the recorded consents or law enforcement gets involved... it doesn't have to be as locked down as other stuff Apple does. Undistorting it without a valid reason should be about as hard as recording an involuntary video from your phone... 100% doable if determined, but inconvenient enough that it doesn't actually happen all that often.

The only problem is that the rumors suggest it won't have a camera, and will rely entirely on the LiDAR sensor.

I wonder how it's supposed to read those custom Gobi AR QR codes without a camera, though...

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
Very surprised they are going to design the whole thing here considering I imagine a partnership with Jacques Marie Mage and Moscot (both of whom who make larger framed glasses anyway) for this to be a little more fashionable with an array of options for people. In particular I could see these in a Lemtosh looking really good without having the Google Glass stigma that having a cookie cutter set of glasses will have.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
499 per single lens, 998 for the complete frame. Charger sold separately
Considering it’s apparently reliant on an iPhone it won’t be that expensive. if they have different models perhaps one with more premium frame materials will be.

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
If they can team up with Luxotica or something and make me some Wayfarer Rx that don’t look stupid, I might be interested.

I have to wear glasses all day, might as well make them neat.

Reactions: Ghost31
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.