Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Grabs 95% of Tablet Market as Competitors Ramp Up

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Bloomberg reports on new data from research firm Strategy Analytics showing that Apple held a 95% share of the tablet market in the third quarter of 2010, leaving only 2.3% for Google's nascent Android platform.
Global tablet sales rose 26 percent from the previous period to 4.4 million units, with Apple selling 4.19 million iPads, the company said in a statement. Android's share of the market declined to 2.3 percent from 2.9 percent.
With a slew of high-profile companies just now preparing to enter the tablet market, however, Apple will soon face stiffer competition.
"The tablet wars are up and running," said Strategy Analytics Director Neil Mawston in the statement. Android and other operating platforms "are trailing in Apple's wake and they already have much ground to make up."
A new survey from ChangeWave Research has taken a crack at assessing customer interest in the tablet market, finding its target audience of professionals and early adopters still iPad-focused, with 80% of those surveyed saying they would be most likely to purchase an iPad. Research in Motion's PlayBook, set for launch next year, ranks second with 8% of customers looking to purchase one.

ChangeWave also found that iPad owners in its survey group are very pleased with the device, with 72% registering as "very satisfied" and an additional 23% as "somewhat satisfied".

Overall, ChangeWave has seen interest in netbooks flagging as tablets gain momentum, with only 13-14% of survey respondents over the past few months looking to buy a netbook, down from a peak of 24% in mid-2009.

Article Link: Apple Grabs 95% of Tablet Market as Competitors Ramp Up

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Of course Android tablets are only just now being released in the wild, so of course their market share is tiny. But just wait until next quarter when of necessity their market share will rise while, also of necessity, iPad market share will fall. That will bring everyone out of the woodwork to yell incessantly how Android is "catching up to iPad!"

Comment

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Of course Android tablets are only just now being released in the wild, so of course their market share is tiny. But just wait until next quarter when of necessity their market share will rise while, also of necessity, iPad market share will fall. That will bring everyone out of the woodwork to yell incessantly how Android is "catching up to iPad!"

And every new device will be accompanied by an article asking "Is this the iPad killer?"

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
72% Very Satisfied
23% Somewhat Satisfied
1% Somewhat Unsatisfied
0% Very Unsatisfied

What other object gets this kind of results? You could poll people about chocolate and get worse results!

Comment

hamlin

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I never really understood why people want an ipad (other than image) its a big ipod touch. It can't replace a laptop, it wont obviously replace an ipod....whats the point of it?

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
I never really understood why people want an ipad (other than image) its a big ipod touch. It can't replace a laptop, it wont obviously replace an ipod....whats the point of it?

For many it actually does replace both an iPod and a laptop. Me included.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

it's a good educational tool for those of us with kids

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

It's like an iPod touch... only bigger!

Let's not start this argument again. Why buy a 17" laptop when a 9" netbook is pretty much the same thing? The bigger screen IS the reason why you buy one. The favourite analogy is that a swimming pool is like a bathtub, only bigger...

I had an iPod touch. Sold it. I have an iPad and I use it every single day. And no, it's not about image, in fact I go out of my way to NOT let people see me using it.

Comment

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008

I thought the same thing until my wife got me one for our anniversary. Now I just use my MacBook Pro to manage my iTunes library, download torrents...and that's pretty much it. Of my computer usage about 90% is iPad, the other 10% is MacBook.

Comment

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

Not your kind on here! :eek: Obviously most purchasers are satified with their purchase. Sorr you are missing out.

As for the article stats, they were compiled by the Mr. Obvious polling company.

Comment

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007

In my business, I've seen others use them for typing quick notes during meetings, sending emails, referring to minutes, agendas, etc;. The larger screen makes it easier for doing productivity work (no thumb typing). Certainly not a replacement for a laptop, but there are some uses.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

This kind of post was nice before iPads were for sale, but at a certain point you just have to stop and say "Well, since so many people love their iPad, clearly the fact that I don't get it is my problem."

You can't keep pretending that the iPad is useless. I know many people who get a lot of use out of them. That's not my opinion, it's a simple fact. Pretending those people don't exist just makes you look silly.

Comment

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
These results aren't surprising. I wonder who belongs to this 5% :)

Of course Apple cannot keep this market share. It will eventually fall, but the ipad will remain the dominant player for the years to come. I would say that Apple will keep 40-50% of the market.

Comment

inket

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
All announced 2011 Tablets can't compete with the first iPad. Let alone the iPad 2 when it'll be out April 2011. :p

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Of course Apple cannot keep this market share. It will eventually fall, but the ipad will remain the dominant player for the years to come. I would say that Apple will keep 40-50% of the market.

When it comes to market share, the big question is...will the iPad be more like the iPhone or more like the iPod?

I'm strangely optomistic that this will be like the iPod. Apple is being VERY aggressive with the price. (It's hard to over-emphasize that fact.) I think they'll hold on to 80% of the market for several years.

Not a promise, but that's my feeling.

Comment

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007

surfing the net, watching movies, watching netflix, reading books on your couch/in bed/in the car just to name a few. It's more of a netbook/e- book reader/gaming device replacement than a laptop replacement. (netbook = surfing, laptop = work)

My friend has one and uses it for teaching in his special needs kids class room activities. The kids are more engaged and spend more time concentrating on the educational tools on the ipad than they do pieces of paper.

Have you ever used one? I want one, but I'm waiting until rev 2 just because. Plus my 2 year old loves them and he is constantly asking for my phone. I want to get the interactive books for him and the sesame street apps. He knows how to navigate the folders/icons and goes into the games folder to 'play' trism all the time, plus he loves looking at the pics and movies I have on my phone.

Is that enough reason to want one?

Comment

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
72% Very Satisfied
23% Somewhat Satisfied
1% Somewhat Unsatisfied
0% Very Unsatisfied

What other object gets this kind of results? You could poll people about chocolate and get worse results!

You could poll people about sliced bread and you will ger worse results!

Comment

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Competition is good but it has to be good competition. So far I haven't seen any.

That is true. Froyo is not designed for tablet, Google said so itself. Wait until 3.0 comes out.

As for the 2.3% marketshare for Android tablets, it feels just like fall of 2009 when Android falls had something like 5% of smartphone market share. Fast forward one year and it exploded to 44%. So don't count out Android tablets; the real battle hasn't even begun yet.

Comment

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I think the big impediment right now is the lack of name recognition for any slate other than the iPad. Maybe the RIM Playbook is more familiar to the business crowd. But certainly the average person wouldn't know what the Samsung Galaxy Tab is to respond as wanting one in a survey. We'll have to see how things change once they are all released and the marketing campaigns really start.

Comment

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind

Very true and from what I've seen... Android is no palm, I'm a loyal apple consumer but I've been keeping my eye on android. If I was to buy a tablet it would be based on android O.S. If apple did not make a major refresh.

Comment

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

I never really understood why people want an iPod touch. It's just a small iPad or an iPhone without the phone. It can't be used as a phone and obviously won't replace an iPad....what's the point of it? ;)

Comment

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
I'm waiting for Nook Color to arrive. I want an ebook reader that plays music, shows video, has browser and email client. iPad is to big / heavy to read, Kindle not as capable.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.