Apple Has a Redesigned Fingerprint ID Solution For the iPhone 8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is set to feature its own in-house developed integrated fingerprint ID technology in the OLED version of its next iPhone, according to a new report out on Friday.

Apple's upcoming "iPhone 8" is expected to feature a virtual home button embedded in the display, but questions persist over the role of Touch ID in such a radical redesign, as conflicting reports from analysts, rumors of biometric alternatives, and Apple patents abound.

[​IMG]

Today, DigiTimes cited industry sources claiming that an Apple-designed "built-in fingerprint sensor device" is indeed on the way, and will replace the traditional capacitive touch technology known as Touch ID.
    Apple's Touch ID fingerprint sensor technology originally came from AuthenTec, which Cupertino acquired in 2012, while the Privaris reference harks back to a patent portfolio Apple bought from the closed biometric security firm in June 2015 that included dozens of patents relating to fingerprint and touchscreen technology, including - in at least one example - the ability to use a touchscreen and fingerprint reader at the same time.

DigiTimes has sources within Apple's supply chain, but it has a mixed track record at reporting on Apple's unannounced product plans, so this latest report should be treated with caution. That said, additional claims made in the article potentially clarify mixed messages regarding production timelines for this year's iPhone line-up:
    Information gathered previously by other sources from the supply chain suggested that Apple plans to ramp up iPhone 8 production in June, because that would allow Apple to work out any manufacturing issues in the design and lead to better supply in preparation for a September launch.

However, according to DigiTimes' sources, Apple will enter volume production in July only for "two other new iPhones, which will retain LCD for their displays" - suggesting reports of an early summer ramp-up relate exclusively to the two "S" cycle iPhones that Apple is also rumored to be launching this year. What that could mean for the fate of the "iPhone 8" remains unclear, but not starting production until September would leave supplies limited for a fall launch.

Finally, the report goes on to claim that the tenth-anniversary edition iPhone will use "biometric authentication systems such as ultrasound", adding to the possible mix of facial recognition and iris scanning technologies also rumored to be in the works. Apart from the edge-to-edge display supplied by Samsung, other features more widely expected for the "iPhone 8" include some form of wireless charging and a glass body.

Article Link: Apple Has a Redesigned Fingerprint ID Solution For the iPhone 8

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

This makes more sense than abandoning Touch ID.

3. jackth29 macrumors member

jackth29

4. dannys1 macrumors 68000

dannys1

I really wish MacRumors had split notifications for iOS blog, Mac stuff etc.

I find the iPhone rumours tediously dull. I'd enjoy the iPhone reveal a lot more not knowing what was going to be in it, but ever year we've basically seen every single part of it leak first - no wonder it's not a surprise.

But hey, it's a rumours site, that's cool, I know people like this sort of stuff - I just wish the brilliant notifications could be split up so I can see when new Mac hardware is due, macOS updates launch and all that jazz without every iPhone part and rumour too.

(P.S. I also find all the iPhone rumours painfully obvious anyway. If Touch ID is removed with an in-screen solution then obviously a software animation will direct you to where you press your finger when touch ID input is required. The lightning to USB-C cable is now a no brainer too.)

5. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Probably the face recognition is a fall-back method for instances when fingerprints are not clearly readable (i.e. wet hands, gloves, etc.)

6. oldmacs macrumors 68040

As long as it works well. Touch ID is my favourite feature on my SE.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Facial recognition would be a bit silly unless it can cope with hats, scarf's, different facial expressions, lighting conditions, spots, 5 o'clock shadow etc. Touch ID seems pretty secure, so I am not sure what these other methods gain.

8. Wanted797 macrumors regular

If they can't put it in the display I'm all for it on the back like the pixel and likely the S8. But put it in the top corner opposite the camera. That is a more natural spot to reach than the middle.

9. plexdk macrumors 6502

This is pretty cool. It would move them ahead of the competition compared to other companies full screen size solutions (moving fingerprint scanner to the rear of the phone).

Imaging if this means the whole display can register a fingerprint - this would mean you might be able to fingerprint protect apps from launching - or even part of apps being secured.

10. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Keniutek

11. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

For sure, many bank and paypal use Touch ID for assess and payments, introducing something else would take like two years at the least before this is widely accepted.

12. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Hope this redesign comes out this year instead of next.

13. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

It will not.

14. Shalev, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017

Shalev macrumors newbie

Shalev

iphone 7 and 7s to justeify the primium price of the REAL new phone, not that 4 YEARS iphone design with the 720p display! ,
    just like the macbook pro without the touch bar that is for the peaple who "NEED" a macbook air, a trick to make tou belive that the macbook pro start at 1299, while the REAL one with the toch bar start AT 1499!
    insted of selling the touch bar from 1299 like thay should be from the start,

lets procced,
    32 to 128 gb on all devices, 150$ to 450$!!! watch bands,
    seperated ipad cover that cost more than 100$ both, and cancel the 69 leather ones,
    apple pencil 100$ and magic trackped 129$ up from 79$,
    and icloud, from 200gb to 1tb, what ABOUT 500gb option?!

there is NOTHING in the middle anymore with that company, trying to sqeeze every single pany from you by manipulaiting you to upgrade every single time on everything!!!

steve jobs was so SIMPLE... ipad - 499,599,699 ---- 16,32,64
    iphone - 199,299,399---16,32,64
    and so on on everything

in this days, apple makes a polish black iphone and sells it ONLY in 128, why?! why not give all the optins to every costumer??? why trying to sqeeze the penny from each and every one of your costumers while you have 250 billion in cash?? where is the --- "lets try to answer every need of ALL of our costumers and lower the product price as much as we can without affecting the quality, and i dont care how you will do it" approach?? NOW, it all about the money with them!

15. ovo6 macrumors 6502

16. bensen macrumors newbie

bensen

...or for users who can't use or take advantage of a fingerprint scanner because of physical impairments.

17. Avieshek macrumors 6502

Avieshek

18. Jsameds, Mar 3, 2017

Jsameds Suspended

Relax. It's always been about the money, nothing new here. At least now we have more options.

19. Gudi macrumors 68020

Gudi

Somebody here must have very small hands.

20. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

21. keysofanxiety, Mar 3, 2017

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Don't like it, don't buy it. There's plenty of decent competition out there. Personally I think Apple make great products. Myself and many others are perfectly satisfied with our purchases and believe it or not, there are a lot of people who love the new MacBook Pro.

22. chr1s60, Mar 3, 2017

chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

You do remember Steve Jobs is the same guy that charged iPod touch users to upgrade to the newest software, right? Don't think he wasn't squeezing out all those pennies as well.

23. Azzin macrumors 68040

Wouldn't the bottom right order of the screen be most natural for most people?

Presumably, if its software, you can choose where to have it?

24. chr1s60, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I don't think anything about the fingerprint sensor being on the back is convenient or natural. There are literally thousands of times I have unlocked my phone using touch ID while it is sitting on my desk or a table, something not possible with the sensor on the back. The front is the way to go, in my opinion.

25. Bane-Thunder macrumors regular

Whenever it comes That phone will be my next iPhone. Fingerprint reader under the display Hell Yes!