Apple Has Given Drake Permission to Produce 'Whatever He Chooses' Amid His Push Into TV and Film

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

If it bothers you to have people criticize your opinions, you should consider not posting them in public forums.

2. ilovemykid3302012 Suspended

Yawn. Have a great day.

3. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

41 you say...

4. cmaier macrumors G4

I don't understand. What's a "drake?" I thought that was a duck.

5. maikerukun macrumors member

maikerukun

LMFAO! Okay, so EXPLAIN your opinion, so that it can carry ANY kind of weight at all lol. Right now, you're literally just an angry old hater. EXPLAIN yourself. You say he sucks, so what about his music sucks? Go ahead, we'll wait :)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    This dude is super angry lololol. He says he has an opinion on Drake's music, as if he ever actually listened to Drake's music lololol. I can't with these good ole' boys :)
    The highest selling artist of the year, along with David Bowie...I'm assuming you don't know him either since he was number 2 selling behind Drake.

Maybe come out from under the rock you've been living beneath?

6. cmaier macrumors G4

Some of us used Macs, and thus were unfamiliar with a lot of Microsoft stuff (despite it being "the highest selling..."). Didn't mean we were "under a rock."

7. iceperson macrumors 6502

I'm still waiting for the Drake big reveal. I expect it to be like dumb and dumber and someday he'll just yell "Got you.... I pretended to be an artist for x years and fooled so many people because the music industry manufactures fame like Andy Warhol's art factory..."
    The backstreet boys have sold more albums than Drake...

8. ilovemykid3302012 Suspended

I just checked, and wow, BSB have sold 130 million albums to this day.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    I've said my opinion. I have nothing further to explain. And angry? You got that from my posts? LOL! I guess you see what you want to see. I'm not angry, I don't give 2 ****s about Drake, it's just that simple. Plenty of musicians that have WAY more talent that gets my attention. That this angers YOU....that's your problem.

9. Joey488 macrumors newbie

"You used to call me on my cell phone
    Late night when you need my love
    Call me on my cell phone
    Late night when you need my love
    And I know when that hotline bling
    That can only mean one thing
    I know when that hotline bling
    That can only mean one thing"

I hear they're teaching it in conjunction with Shakespeare at Oxford.

10. GaryLasereyes macrumors member

Apple is as much a pop culture brand as it is a tech brand now. And Drake is about as culturally relevant as they come, whether you want to believe that or not. They're giving him carte blanche because he makes money for everyone he works with and that's priority #1. It might be time for a lot of people to start letting go of their idea of what Apple used to be.

This is just a hunch, but I'm betting that the average age of macrumors readers is not a demographic that Apple is particularly concerned with, and I include myself in that.
    You don't have to look hard to find some lyrically stupid Beatles songs either.

11. Joey488, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Joey488 macrumors newbie

I don't doubt that, but I would assume the Beatles may have had a little bit more going on there metaphorically. Although I am not a Beatles expert and I know they did a lot of drugs at one time, so I don't want to get into that argument.

My overall point would be that Drake, like most rappers/hip hop artists, are lyricists. So that will be what they are judged on the most, in my opinion. Just in comparison, the Beatles had more going on in their band as a whole than just their lyrics. Even at that, if you took Drake's top 5 songs versus the Beatles top 5 I would be surprised if the Beatles didn't come out on top lyrically. But that is subjective and it's not a contest anyway.

12. GaryLasereyes macrumors member

And if you look at his more rap-centric songs he's actually a very gifted lyricist. Most people who appreciate hip hop as a genre would agree with that. Hotline Bling is just a pop song, it is what it is. Plenty of great artists have had a lot of success with some pretty vapid material at times.

I get that hip hop isn't everyone's cup of tea, but to argue that Drake isn't a legitimate artist is kind of ridiculous.

13. maikerukun macrumors member

maikerukun

So you're admitting it. You don't have anything to base your opinion on lololol. Either admit you don't listen to his music or stop having an opinion about it lololol.
    What about his work is mediocre? You didn't answer the question. You posted lyrics to a song that did EXACTLY what it was designed to do, which is be easy, be catchy, be for the summer, and speak on late night sexual temptations between summer lovers...again, what about his work is mediocre??
    Not knowing who Drake or David Bowie are does.

14. iceperson, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2017

iceperson macrumors 6502

Drake is right up there with NSYNC, the Backstreet boys, and the Spice girls. Oh wait, Views doesn't come close to the sales of No Strings Attached or Millennium. I can't imagine what garbage you have on your playlist if album sales is your metric for determining if something is good.