Apple Has Given Drake Permission to Produce 'Whatever He Chooses' Amid His Push Into TV and Film

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2017.

1. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Link?

lol they are in the negative of like 20 bil

2. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

3. prasand macrumors regular

prasand

Much of this thread sounds like out of touch old men. Which as someone else put it best, they are literally irrelevant, while thinking their taste matters, lol.

It’s amusing to watch.

Personally, I’m 38 and actually like Drake and Future. Whether he’ll be able to come up with something great in film, remains to be seen. But I wouldn’t discredit him based on personal musical preference, as one has nothing to do with the other. However, he’s proven his ability to choose hits, so maybe that will translate well. I’ll remain cautiously optimistic while eating popcorn, watching bitter old men yell at the color television, saying black and white is better.

4. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

20 billion? Bs.

Provide a link that backs up your claim that Netflix are losing money.

5. maikerukun macrumors member

maikerukun

Drake doesn't use Autotune. And the ENTIRE industry uses Melodyne. Just stop. Ya'll are old.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Anyone who makes this suggestion (buy Netflix) automatically losses all credibility in my book.

https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2017/2/21/apple-doesnt-need-to-buy-netflix

7. maikerukun macrumors member

maikerukun

LMFAO! I'm done with this thread. Out of touch 40+ year old anti-crayola dudes who don't understand a thing about music theory, sound engineering, or music in general, let alone today's music. Hate Drake all you want, he's king right now, and there's nothing any of you crayola haters can do about that but I guess come here and whine about it lol.

8. ilovemykid3302012 macrumors member

He's "king"? Um... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. maikerukun macrumors member

maikerukun

Yes old man...numbers don't lie, which is why Apple gives him Carte Blanche. Literally 431 consecutive weeks on the Billboard Charts...to be clear, he debuted in 2009 and then was in the top 100 releases every single week for 8 years...literally almost a decade. Nobody else even comes close. But by all means, don't let that stop you and the good old boys of Macrumors threads from continuing to be completely out of touch lol.

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.24.04 PM.png

10. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I literally have no idea what Drake sounds like. But I hope you realize that numbers really don't equal artistic merit. Most popular music is far from great while the majority of great musicians are almost unknown. Just think of how unpopular classical music is/has become.

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

lol I guess you don’t know much about Netflix
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    Thank you.

12. ilovemykid3302012 macrumors member

Not sure what your defense of him is all about but that's you. I think he sucks and is untalented and I am far from the only one. But by all means, keep up your defense of him and your rude snarky comments.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    BINGO! Certain people here need to understand this.

13. grobik macrumors member

grobik

If there’s any celebrity team up that would get me to buy more Apple products it would be with Sisqo.

14. MarcMller macrumors member

THIS GUY GETS IT.

15. ilovemykid3302012 macrumors member

More so, his opinions are just that. Opinions. As for the rest of, meh. I think he sucks and is talentless, so do many others.

16. ilovemykid3302012 macrumors member

Well, perhaps you should post WHY... instead of just throwing it out like they are just failing.

"According to the LA Times, Netflix has accrued a long-term and short-term debt of $20.54 billion. Yes, that’s billion with a B. But investors don’t sound too worried, if the LA Times is to be believed.

The company is pouring money into expensive prestige projects and expects to spend at least $6 billion in content this year. Its net cash outflow this year is forecast to grow to as much as $2.5 billion, up from $1.7 billion last year. Reflecting its growth, Netflix recently moved its Southern California headquarters into a 14-story building in Hollywood.

So far, investors have expressed approval of Netflix’s spendthrift ways. They are betting that debt financing in the near term will create growth and yield big results down the road on the theory that you have to spend money to make money."

And I sure Apple has debt as well.

Also :

"The outlet also notes that the company’s stock is up 50% in 2017 as Netflix and HBO topped this year’s Emmy nominations. In terms of eyeballs and headlines, the streaming service is trending up and up. However, there is some concern that an inevitable slowing in subscription growth will yield damaging results. For the time being, however, the company appears confident that it can maintain its spending structure while continuing to add new customers."

17. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

lol I don’t know the ins and outs of Netflix. Sorry I didn’t know I had to do the homework for MR.

All I stated was it’s not good to buy Netflix, they are losing money. That’s good enough/

18. ilovemykid3302012 macrumors member

It's not good enough, you are just claiming they are losing money without any context. If you are going to claim something, and I am sure you were asked for proof of this, that is on you. Not others to do your homework for you.

19. tardegrade macrumors member

tardegrade

Giving a content creator artistic freedom to create is great. Giving that same person complete free reign to choose whatever they want, is far more than that and is just asking for trouble.

And as for this..

"If I had a company today, I would give it to Drake and Future to run in a minute," said Jimmy Iovine.

Congratulations Jimmy, unless that's a sound byte to garner more attention, you're an idiot.

20. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I’m not claiming they are losing money. They are losing money .

21. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

So Apple should partner with people that they (or you) think are artistic, but don't sell records?

The point of this is not that Drake is a great artist (I don't listen to him) but obviously he's incredibly popular and successful.

It's the music BUSINESS. Good music in the music business is what sells. Apple is smart to align with someone who has a track record of selling.

The debate about artistry and popularity is as old as can be and is a silly thing to bring up.

22. MarcMller macrumors member

thank you.

23. ilovemykid3302012 macrumors member

I don't care who they partner up with, and if you got that out of my post, I can't help that. I still can voice my opinion about him and how I think his music sucks.

And that it bothers you SO much that people are voicing opinions, that's... I don't know.