Apple Has Given Drake Permission to Produce 'Whatever He Chooses' Amid His Push Into TV and Film

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2017.

1. lunarworks macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

(I'm 38, and I like some of Drake's stuff.)

2. ilovemykid3302012 Suspended

I'm not saying I don't listen to new stuff, I do. Most of it's junk though.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Do I really need to draw you a diagram?

4. millerlite macrumors member

millerlite

This is awful. Music people aren’t tv/movie people!! I can’t scream this enough at the ‘geniuses’ behind all of these awful moves by Apple. Everything they’ve done is one flop after another. Stop wasting money!!

5. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

That's the issue the poster was trying to highlight.

Marketer's know when to start and stop using a demographics icons to push products.

Tech/Videos/Music etc... (whether us old types like it or not) is always pushed by the younger demo.
    If Apple is to flourish in the future they will have to appeal to the younger demographics icons.

6. MarcMller macrumors regular

You do because idk what youre talking about. Idk why youre “giving me a warning” when i’m stating an opinion..

7. gweedo macrumors member

gweedo

Even given all of that... how do they make the leap to thinking he can create great TV and film content? Apple needs to worry less about having a "cool" personality, and focus more on finding creative writing and directing talent who have a history of producing successful content in TV/Film.

When Apple starts bringing forward popular youtube or twitch personalities to create content for their platform, we will know they have truly lost their way.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The irony warning was for everyone else. We need to know when to take cover so we don't get irony all over our shoes.

Look, if you are going to smh someone maybe you should not do it with quite smh yourself. Most of us go through a period in our lives when we think whatever we happen to like is the most important thing in the world and anybody who doesn't share our preferences is just too old or unhip or to get it. After awhile most of us come to realize that entertainment religion is especially pointless and boring, it changes all the time, and for sure isn't a good way to judge other people.

9. FasterQuieter macrumors 6502

FasterQuieter

Take a mediocre rapper and give him as much cash as he wants to make whatever he wants. Could work I suppose, but it stinks of Samsung's throw crap at the wall and see what sticks approach. Apple are putting their name on more and more crap.

10. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Based on the above this could be a good thing.
    Leaves plenty of room for you to do better.

11. KidAKidB macrumors 6502

KidAKidB

Netflix doesn't need Apple.

12. Acidsplat macrumors regular

He better be producing Degrassi: The Next Next Generation

13. MarcMller macrumors regular

I'm not sitting here telling people their taste in music is bad.. i'm just saying in THESE days drake is at the top. Numbers speak for themselves whether you or anyone else in this post likes him or not. Appreciate greatness when its in front of your face.. He is leading the industry, he isnt all flashy with money or women. Hes a genuinely good person... Do you think people who hated Michael Jackson back in the day are sitting back now saying hes horrible and sucks and is over rated? highly doubt it.

14. jcphoenix, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

jcphoenix macrumors member

jcphoenix

It's untested, true, but it's not a bad leap of faith, especially if they've worked with him already in the past and seen what he has to offer. Drake seems to have moved beyond being just a musician, he seems like a smart business guy who understands the power of his own image and how to use it. That's not something to be underestimated. He's also brought new tastes and trends to the mainstream through his championing of certain artists or musicians. He's created a brand for a city (The 6ix) and a way over-abused phrase (YOLO). He's created a music festival, has his own bar, has done designs for shoes and clothing. He's definitely going more for the Kanye West element than just been a musician. He is a tastemaker and that's what they're hiring him for. I doubt seriously that he'll be directing things or writing things, but rather he is smart enough to put the right people together to make interesting new content. That's what they're banking on.

Many major creatives these days are multi-hyphenates.

ETA: Also to add on - did you see who else Drake is partnering with? It says in the article: the production company A24. If you're a film buff like me, you'll know that A24 is producing the best and most original (and I would say "coolest") films in the business today (Under the Skin, The Lobster, The Witch, Moonlight, Ex Machina, Florida Project, The Disaster Artist, Good Time). That bodes well for Drake's tastes frankly.

15. 007Napoleon macrumors newbie

Drake is actually both got his start as an actor before becoming a rapper.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure you are. You did it to start, and now you are doing it again. You just need to understand how little anyone else is bound to care about your taste in music (let alone, celebrities). Frank Zappa once said that music is the only religion that actually delivers. He was wise. The point is, just like what you like and be happy, and don't make it a personal mission to convert anybody else. It isn't about that. You'll figure it out eventually. Probably.

17. PickUrPoison, Nov 8, 2017

PickUrPoison macrumors 68010

Why wait? Apple has decided they’re going to make strong, original content and they’re backing Drake—who’s partnering with Steve Golin of Anonymous Content and film studio A24. That’s how you get strong, original content.

Far from waiting longer, Apple should have started at least 2 years ago, but it’s never too late to start. If there’s room for 10 players there’s room for 11, especially if one of them has a war chest like Apple’s.

18. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

19. PickUrPoison, Nov 8, 2017

PickUrPoison macrumors 68010

The camera bump and the notch are both examples of form following function. I’m sure Ive would be happier without both. But engineering, marketing and manufacturing trade offs are constantly in play.

If you’re one of those who blame Ive for ports being removed, you’re giving him way too much credit. Ive makes the best of the engineering, marketing and manufacturing constraints he’s faced with, but to think he says, “the new MacBook Pro must be 3 mm thinner, make it so!” and engineering/marketing scramble to see how many ports and how much battery they have to remove, you’re wrong.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Apple doesn’t need Netflix. They both can find/fund original content. Sure, hire away their best people, but there’s no reason to buy Netflix. They’re both competing for the best content from here on out.

The only reason to acquire Netflix would be to gain control of their original content catalog so you’d have to buy Apple Video to watch all the older Netflix stuff. But does Apple need their back catalog, at the premium they’d have to pay for Netflix?

Or does it make sense to make your own original content, starting now. Apple has made their decision; if they thought they needed Netflix they would have bought them years ago. Now Disney, to me that’s a different story...

20. oldwatery macrumors 6502a

I do too.
    And now I will go quietly to the dark side knowing that at least I won't have to put up with any more juvenile, pointless, putrid crap that the Pop Stars at Apple think we want. I say a pox on you, Ives, I'msovain, Cook, Cue et al. I friggin' hate everything you have done to this once amazing company!

21. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Seeing that this is springing from Apple Music is another reason to give me pause (given how craptastic that's been), but Apple will do what they will do. I've soured on Hollywood completely, so Apple won't get my hard earned money for these projects. There are millions like you who will, so enjoy.

22. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

No one in the know would ever compare Drake to Sisqo. Secondly, Drake instantly surpassed Sisqo quite a long time ago. Sisqo had one hit album as a solo artist.

23. maikerukun macrumors member

maikerukun

Apple made the absolute right move here. Drake brought most of my friends to Apple music day 1, myself included. Since then I've gifted Apple music and pay out around $50/month for loved ones beyond my shared plan to enjoy. Drake has a lot to do with it.

Of course, I expected nothing but hate upon opening these comments, because macrumors and demographics and whatnot, and of course, the comment section didn't let me down lolololol.

It's funny how ummm, obvious it is the vast majority here would hate Drake :)

Anyway, he's not stupid, and will obviously produce quality products that sell, as he always has. His 30 minute music videos "pioneered by Michale Jackson, resurrected by Kanye West, and continued through Drake" have all been really dope artistically so far, so I'm not worried at all that he will handle this well.

...but I can see why ya'll would think it's a bad idea LMFAO...
    LMFAO he said Sisqo lololololololol dudes here are sooooo out of touch

What about his work is mediocre? In detail please? :)

24. kilimanjaro macrumors newbie

kilimanjaro

Well he's a black rapper. I guess that alone scares 'some'.
    Even if he's Jewish. Even if he's Canadian.
    Oooh so scary.
    So no conservative.
    Geez.
    mud is brown. i guess he means drake's and his brown partners. it's just easier to say instead of black or thug.

25. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

No. Apple will destroy Netflix and turn it into turd.

Bean counter Timmy and Jonny ‘slim’ boy ( who has put on noticeable weight ) should keep away!

link please.