Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It's hard for me to fathom that the iPhone is nearly 10 years old. I remember when I saw a first generation version for the first time. I was standing in line in a roller coaster queue, and a guy in front of me had one. (This was before Apple Stores were in my area.) He happily demoed it for me and I was fascinated. I had a little Palm PDA, and the iPhone put it to shame. It's interesting that while the hardware has evolved considerably, the interface is still pretty much what it was a decade ago.

Reactions: NetMage

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
I am curious how many unique purchasers that number breaks down to. I am also curious how many individuals have purchased upgrades. And how many iPhones have been put into landfills. Another words, how much waste of limited earth resources have been used.
I am using my third iPhone. Each one was an upgrade that I wanted and did not need. Each one was traded-in, in perfect condition without a single scratch. Each one was perfectly usable that retained the full charge of 8 hour use capability. However, I fell for the marketed desire to have the fastest model and have given more money to apple.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I am curious how many unique purchasers that number breaks down to. I am also curious how many individuals have purchased upgrades. And how many iPhones have been put into landfills. Another words, how much waste of limited earth resources have been used.
I am using my third iPhone. Each one was an upgrade that I wanted and did not need. Each one was traded-in, in perfect condition without a single scratch. Each one was perfectly usable that retained the full charge of 8 hour use capability. However, I fell for the marketed desire to have the fastest model and have given more money to apple.
So your phone was refurbished and sold to someone else. How is that a bad thing?

Reactions: Xtremjeepn

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
(1,000 x 1,000,000) a thousand millions.

You try this on iPhone and it breaks 1e9

#1 - That's correct. It's 1 * 10 ^ 9. Calculators have been using the letter e as a substitute for " * 10 ^ " for decades.
#2 - If you use the calculator app in landscape instead of portrait, it'll display 1,000,000,000 without exponential notation just fine.
#3 - In landscape, the largest number the calculator app will display without exponential notation is: 9,999,999,999,999,978 - not sure why. Any numbers bigger than that that I try entering leads to it displaying 1e16 instead, or it simply refuses to add anymore digits. It seems like a weird number to stop at to me... doesn't seem related to a 32 bit signed int, since those max out before 3 billion. Unsigned max out before 6 billion. 64 bit ints can get quite a bit bigger than these numbers, whether signed or unsigned. Might be a hardcoded limit. Or it might be a float or double limit, which my understanding of is a bit fuzzy.

Last edited:

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
It would only be interesting to know how many Galaxy phones Samsung has sold to date. All of their other models don't really count if we're comparing to iPhone only.

We don't know because the last successful Samsung was the S4. Up to that point Samsung was more than happy to report various sales figures for their flagships. We know it took 6 months for the S2 to hit 10 million, 55 days for the S3 and only 1 month for the S4. Then silence from Samsung.

However, Samsung did officially announce in Feb 2014 that they passed the 200 millionth Galaxy S phone sold. At that time iPhone had sold 413 million units (excluding earlier models that came out before the Galaxy S).

So the iPhone was already 2X ahead of Samsung back in Feb 2014. Since then Apple has seen record sales while Samsung saw declines, so the gap has obviously gotten much wider now.

johnnygee

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2013
Earth
Meanwhile, AAPL went up 6.5% today, so, of course, Forbes tweeted a negative article regarding iPhone sales.

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
congrats.. ) besides those numbers, average apple customer, who already owns / owned few devices whatsoever, like me, i feel a bit disappointed, that apple slowly falls behind almost in every way. (Lack of customer driven improvements, still mostly overpriced technology).. (IMHO)

I've done Android for years and used Blackberry and Nokia before that.

Just got my first iPhone and I've found it's miles better than any device I've used. Can't see myself ever going back to Google and their Korean buddies' crap.

Apple4everr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2013
7hfd9oo.jpg

**Laugh** that kind of money doesn't even exist yet lol

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I could care less about the iPhone update this year. The 10 year anniversary model will fall right in my upgrade cycle. Strategery.
Just that Apple does not have a current history for anniversary products and nothing hints at this changing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.