Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Steve Jobs said the iPhone was five years ahead of everything else and they caught up pretty quick. Siri was also years ahead of the competition but they let it languish and are now years behind. Face ID doesn't even work that well yet. I have an iPhone X and I have to manually unlock my iPhone at least 1/10th of the time, maybe a little more, and with Face ID it was never unless my iPhone was locked for too long, like on the weekend if I was using my iPad more.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I am pretty sure that faceID isn't proprietary and the reason they have a lead is because they are buying up all of the modules that other companies can make. If production was higher or if Apple wasn't such an important customer the competitors would be able to integrate it right away by writing the software and putting the modules in their phones.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
This is the exact same story we read a year ago, when will the "financial analyst" find something new to talk about instead of rewording old stories?

Reactions: GaryMumford

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
[doublepost=1521544076][/doublepost]Good, 'cause that fingerprint recognition never really worked anyways. Don't even get me started on Siri
My sarcasm sensor is not working well today. Seri is very hit or miss. TouchID has always worked very very well for me. I can see if you tend to frequently have very rough, wet, or dirty fingers because of work or hobbies that you may have troubles. Otherwise, I can’t really imagine it working any better. It is essentially instantaneous and works 99.9% at least for me. Actually I don’t ever recall having to enter the passcode because TouchID couldn’t read my finger.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
That isn't saying much, FaceId isn't very impressive. It's amazing how often it misses if you aren't looking at it straight on.

Now, bring on the masses of "but it works fine for me 100% of the time REEEEE"
Your anecdotal observation that it doesn't work is just as useless. It can be improved, but it does work and it's impressive enough that Android can't source 3D sensing hardware.

Reactions: deanthedev

Mad.Whack

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
I haven't used an android phone in probably a year. Does "TouchID" actually work well on them now?

If we take samsung as a benchmark
Worked fine on the S6 (2015) after a SW update but not my favorite.
Excellent on the S7, S8 and S9.

Personally until faceID is better than touchID.. who cares?

So security is not a problem then ? Ok. Whatever.

It's funny that you're implying Touch ID wasn't secure... It's also faster and more convenient. But ya, ok, whatever.

Reactions: Elgaard

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Smokescreen article.

The race is AI. Siri vs Google Home vs Alexa. Whoever wins this is years ahead of everyone else. Apple is hamstrung by security and data sharing, Alexa is held back by lack of a phone to put it all together (they must rely on Google / Android), Google by ...

Period.

End of story.

pbaker103

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
Philly
hopefully apple takes advantage of having this 2 year lead (unlike Siri) to continue improving Face ID and finds a way to get the sensors, etc under the screen so we don't have a notch anymore by the time all the android phones finally get 3D Face ID.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Exactly the same happened with TouchID. Rival smartphone makers rushed cheap nasty copies out the door that didn't work as well..

Took them two years to finally match TouchID, by which time v2 was out and R&D was started on FaceID.

unlock.gif

Its dajavu all over again

Reactions: Jsameds

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Smokescreen article.

The race is AI. Siri vs Google Home vs Alexa. Whoever wins this is years ahead of everyone else. Apple is hamstrung by security and data sharing, Alexa is held back by lack of a phone to put it all together (they must rely on Google / Android), Google by ...

Period.

End of story.

Ah, so moving the goalposts. When Apple leads in one area, claim it's not relevant and switch to another area.

BTW, Apple and IBM further expanded their enterprise partnership yesterday by combining CoreML (machine learning) on Apple devices with Watson. If you think AI is confined to Siri, Alexa or Google Home then.....

Reactions: FFR and jonblatho

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Smokescreen article.

Period.

End of story.

I get this brings Google more advertising money and Amazon more sales (both are the only reasons their voice assistants exist), but not sure it is that pressing for Apple. It's not like they won't sell iPhone's, Apple Watches, iPad's, and Mac's with Siri not being able to do a few things as well as the competition. The smart home space is something I think is much more valuable, and while Amazon has the voice part down, their implementation is a mess (although a lot more options). HomeKit is the best of the 3 so far.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Nifty, a $1000 phone has a 2 year advantage on 3D facial recognition and glitches galore. Act now and get an extra helping of planned obsolescence. Apple is pricing many consumers out of their future products, especially with anemic software offerings.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
I haven't used an android phone in probably a year. Does "TouchID" actually work well on them now?
Yes, in most flagships even better than Apple's Touch ID.
Samsung is still using pretty crappy scanners though.
[doublepost=1521556722][/doublepost]
It's not a mutually exclusive proposition. They can hypothetically work to improve Face ID and work on Touch ID under the screen. It simply becomes another choice for consumers.

That's not the way Apple operates.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Nifty, a $1000 phone has a 2 year advantage on 3D facial recognition and glitches galore. Act now and get an extra helping of planned obsolescence. Apple is pricing many consumers out of their future products, especially with anemic software offerings.

I don't have any bugs with my X, but I do think Face ID could be a bit better at recognizing me close up or at extreme angles. That is something that they will likely improve this year. Not sure what you mean by the planned obsolescence part, but Apple offers a ton of options right now at all different price points. As far as I can see, there is no better platform when it comes to performance, security, privacy, apps, ecosystem, and support.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't have any bugs with my X, but I do think Face ID could be a bit better at recognizing me close up or at extreme angles. That is something that they will likely improve this year. Not sure what you mean by the planned obsolescence part, but Apple offers a ton of options right now at all different price points. As far as I can see, there is no better platform when it comes to performance, security, privacy, apps, ecosystem, and support.

I feel pretty confident when I say this. I think most people who complain about FaceID do not have the X. Those that own it and use it on a daily basis seem to love it.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I feel pretty confident when I say this. I think most people who complain about FaceID do not have the X. Those that own it and use it on a daily basis seem to love it.

Yea I have noticed that as well, but Face ID isn't perfect by any means. I see a ton of potential and a lot of ways that it is already better than Touch ID, but improvements will definitely be welcomed. Going back to Touch ID would be a step backwards and something Apple wouldn't do.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Opinion:
One serious drawback with FaceID, in its current incarnation, locks device authentication to a single-user.

This single-user authentication model has plenty of drawbacks on devices that are, typically, shared among family. Those who deny this restriction probably do not have trusted others living together.

Yes, TouchID was "subverted" (in accordance to Apple) when setup to allow two, or more, different fingerprints -- but it helped matters within a family, or trusted-other, setting.

This is where multi-user authentication profiling would work well: iPad, HomePod, ATV, even iPhone.

My opinion, again:
Apple's single-user model is the result of lazy programming. And, by extension, FaceID fails to allow distinct profiles to distinct users, allowing each profile to carry their own authentication -- even when setup as a user-group.

Flame away.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
That isn't saying much, FaceId isn't very impressive. It's amazing how often it misses if you aren't looking at it straight on.

Now, bring on the masses of "but it works fine for me 100% of the time REEEEE"

I compare FaceID to the first iteration of TouchID. Thinking back, TouchID failed just as often - and likely more - as FaceID. Sure, it's a bit of a step back in speed and recognition success % from the most recent TouchID, but it will get more accurate and faster as they continue to develop it. When they do, the benefits are very clear.

Reactions: DNichter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.