Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A man who claimed to be innocent following the death of his wife was found to be guilty after police used evidence sourced from the Apple Health app on his iPhone to convict him.

apple-health-app-steps-feature.jpg

As outlined by The Birmingham News (via Cult of Mac), Kat West, Jeff West's wife, was found dead in January 2018 after suffering a blow to the head. Jeff West claimed that she was drunk and fell while he was asleep in bed, but the Health app on his iPhone said otherwise.

West told investigators that he fell asleep around 10:30 p.m. and was in bed until 5:15 a.m., but his Apple Health app showed that he took a total of 18 steps from 11:03 p.m. to 11:10 p.m., a fact that contradicted his claims. Data from Kat West's iPhone showed that she stopped moving after 10:54 p.m., corresponding to the time when Jeff West claimed to be in bed.

West's fingerprints were also found at the bottom of the bottle that was used to hit his wife in the head. Prosecutors believed that Jeff, a trained crime scene investigator, killed his wife after an argument about her line of work and then staged the scene to make himself look innocent.

Despite proclaiming that he was uninvolved with the murder, West has been in prison for the past three years as the murder trial has unfolded. He has now been convicted of reckless manslaughter and ordered to serve a total of 16 years.

Article Link: Apple Health App Data Helps Send a Man to Prison for His Wife's Death

Last edited:

Wanted797

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Good.

But at first I thought the photo was showing heart rate and was like WTF! 13!.... oh it’s steps.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
In this case it was used for justice but it's a bit scary to think about how intricately technology monitors your every move, literally, and can make it available to someone later. Sure it's known that devices track you but to literally record and store the exact number of steps you took at an exact time is a level of detail most people probably aren't constantly aware of.

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Incorrect conclusions have been happening from day one and it will keep happening, unfortunately.
I know. This story just makes me very uneasy. What if someone in my house is murdered at 11pm, and I happen to be using the bathroom at the same time as the murder? Then police can say “you took 16 steps at 11pm” or whatever. With all this data, I feel like more mistakes could be made.

IG88

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
For example, an oppressive government could use it to prove you were at an anti-government protest, etc.
Or they could use the data to argue that you were somewhere where they want you to have been, in order to charge you with a crime. Dragnet.

Reactions: lifeinhd

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I know. This story just makes me very uneasy. What if someone in my house is murdered at 11pm, and I happen to be using the bathroom at the same time as the murder? Then police can say “you took 16 steps at 11pm” or whatever. With all this data, I feel like more mistakes could be made.
More tech all around does mean the possibility of mistakes happening to one of us. We just have to hope we can clear ourselves with more technology.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.