Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
Mouse support! For Remote Desktop apps at least.
[doublepost=1541491356][/doublepost]I’m not buying an iPad at this price until it has OLED (which looks signicantly better when watching movies with this screen ratio because the black is black).
[doublepost=1541491526][/doublepost]
And it’s undoubtedly the most expensive tablet that can’t connect to a mouse.
I know right. Apple... give us dam mouse support.

Reactions: metalsiren

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
In a search for why this may be, it appears the terms of licensing this royalty free codec requires the licensee to agree to no patent litigation against Google’s WebM efforts. Not sure if this would be a reason, but it’s the only unusual language I see in implementing VP9. Maybe Apple wishes to leave the door open, as any patent litigation results in a revoking of the VP9 license.
But by not implementing the VP9 codec in the first place Apple has in affect voluntary revoked the license themselves.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
I think just like with the Mac Pro and iMac Pro, Apple has clearly segmented a product to either professionals (who will use these products to earn money) or users with high discretionary spending who want the best. What is hard to determine at the moment is if these iPads are reasonably priced. There is no comparison to them at the moment.
Thing is if you are going to do that, at least bring out a non pro iPad that works with pencil 2.
[doublepost=1541494071][/doublepost]
Most beautiful
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
As much as I love my iPads, they are just slabs of metal and glass. Beautiful is not a term I would use to describe them.

Huubster

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
I was super exited when I found out about the all new Photoshop for iPad, and the inclusion of USB-C. This would certainly become a big game changer, and open up a whole new world of possibilities when being on the road as a photographer.

Well, not. Since external storage is not supported, obviously on purpose, this iPad Pro is not at all Pro for me, and it is not a laptop replacement.

And don’t give me iCloud and Apple Phoros sync blah blah. iCloud is expensive when you need terrabytes of storage, roaming costs a fortune, in many countries infrastructure is too poor to even consider cloud synching, and it’s often not even available. And most importantly....I shoot RAW only, which is the professional thing to do, but will cause all sorts of limitations with the way the iPad “Pro” works. And lastly, a 1TB iPad does not have enough internal storage for me, and I will not be able to backup on the road.

It’s just another iPad with a nicer screen, but it still falls short ifor many real Pro usages.

Last edited:

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Have you ever tried to make a precise selection using your fingers? It's absolutely horrifying. It takes half a minute just to select the right characters, while it's a second with the mouse. It's also super frustrating. Clipboard operations are unusable without a mouse and a keyboard.

I would prefer a Mac with pen support for drawing and handwriting math formulas.

I have no real evidence of this other than my personal experience, but why is it that I can select text very precisely using any Apple apps (Safari, Notes, etc...) whereas it is a complete nightmare using Microsoft Word?

mrzz

Suspended
Mar 25, 2017
most powerful, most beautiful and s till extremely limited by reason of iOS to only "regular" tasks like web browsing, videos watching, using basic apps etc. I own Air 2 128G and even if I would appreciate a new one, I don't see any significant benefits (I'm fine with touch ID) justifying its price and lack of 128G option.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Well the good news is that basically every review said iOS needs a revamp to unleash this thing

i.e. at minimum better file system and allow external storage

Apple obviously must be fully aware that this is the next step as I cant see “pro” reviews being kind if this is not fixed by the next gen

I have a feeling iOS13 will finally deliver. It kind of has to

mrzz

Suspended
Mar 25, 2017
I noticed they didn’t quote The Verge.
I think it's clear to everyone who read it why.. I find all these carefully picked positive reviews contra-productive and totally weird. Apple has really transformed into strange company under Cook.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I don't ever recall Steve Jobs bragging what other people wrote about his products. It reminds me of an old phrase used by certain women of the evening back in the days: "First to brag, first to sag."

He did during the migration to Intel CPUs and when they introduced Boot Camp. "Hell froze over" was the quote he showed in the keynote back then.
[doublepost=1541501153][/doublepost]
Have fun using your $50 device.

It most certainly is easier to justify having spent 50 USD on a device that's good for nothing than it is to justify having spent over a thousand bucks on a device that's also good for nothing. There are only a fistful of use cases for tablets beyond ebook reading and web surfing in bed or on the couch.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Mouse support! For Remote Desktop apps at least.
[doublepost=1541491356][/doublepost]I’m not buying an iPad at this price until it has OLED (which looks signicantly better when watching movies with this screen ratio because the black is black).
[doublepost=1541491526][/doublepost]
I know right. Apple... give us dam mouse support.
Once it has an OLED display it will cost even more than it does now.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
It’s a skill more then a talent. It can be learned.

Yep. And it actually hasn't much to do with the tool that's being used...
[doublepost=1541501256][/doublepost]
I saw an independent comic book 100% made with an ipad pro. it's on Amazon search for Alienox it's something else, I can't wait to read a new one made with this beast

Yeah. And I saw independent comic books being made with paper and pens and pencils... What has the stupid device to do with the comic book?

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California

Reviews for the 2018 iPad Pro went live this morning ahead of Wednesday's launch, and in a press release, Apple this afternoon highlighted reviews from several media sites that were able to spend some time with the new tablets.

Apple shared key passages from sites that include WIRED, Laptop Mag, Mashable, Daring Fireball, Resource, The Independent, Pocket-Lint, CityNews, and HardwareZone, along with reviews from digital artists on Instagram.

appleipadproreviews.jpg

WIRED, for example, said that the new iPad Pro models are the "best, most powerful, most capable" iPads that "put other tablets to shame."

The Independent said that the new iPad Pro is a "huge upgrade" from previous models and that it will become the "tablet of choice" for creatives, while Daring Fireball's John Gruber said that the Apple Pencil 2 "nears perfection" and is one of the "best 2.0" products he's seen.

Laptop Mag called the iPad Pro the "most powerful mobile device ever made," Pocket-Lint said it will pique the interest of those who have started to question whether they still need a laptop," and CityNews said it's "hard not to be wowed when you first pick it up."

View this post on Instagram ? NEW iPad Pro. ? Excited and proud to say that I'm one of the first artists in the World to create with @apple 's new #ipadpro & #applepencil ! ? This is a crazy tool for experimental projects to merge digital drawings, traditional art and mobile photography together. ? I've used some of my calligraphy paper sketches, @procreate app as the main tool, #shotoniphone photos and @adobe @lightroom apps for color editing. ? This is the next level of my creativity. Some of these artworks will be used for my upcoming new clothing collection! Stay tuned.🤘🏻🔥 ? _______________________ ? ??????, ? ???? ????? ?? ?????? ?????????? ? ????, ??????? ???????? ? ????? ??????? ?? Apple! ? ?????? ? ???? ?????????? ??????? -- ???? ???? ???????????????? ?????, ??????? ? ????????, ????????? ?????? ? ????????? ? Lightroom, ????????? ?????? ? Procreate. ? ?????????? ????? ??????? ????? ??? ??????????? ? ?????? ???, ??? ??????????? ???????? ???????? -- ?? ?????, ? ?????, ? ?????. ?????! ? ? ????? ??????? ???? ? ????????? ????? ????????. ???? ?????? ? ?????? ?? ???-?????! ????? ?????? ?? ???? ????? ? ?????? ???? ????? ????????? ??????. 🖤 A post shared by Pokras Lampas | ?????? (@pokraslampas) on Nov 1, 2018 at 6:52am PDT​

Apple only highlighted the positive parts of each of these reviews, many of which had some negative elements to them. On the whole, reviewers praised the iPad Pro's hardware, which is unparalleled, but most felt that it is no computer replacement due to the limitations of iOS. Some reviewers also ran into quirks with Face ID not working properly, and there were criticisms of USB-C and the way the iPad Pro handles files as external storage devices are not supported.

Apple's full list of iPad Pro review selections can be seen in the article shared via the Apple Newsroom, while additional reviews can be found in our own review roundup.

The 2018 iPad Pro models can be ordered from Apple's online store and will be available in retail locations starting Wednesday.

Pricing on the 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $799 for 64GB of storage, with 256GB of storage priced at $949, 512GB priced at $1,149, and 1TB of priced at $1,549. Models with cellular connectivity in addition to Wi-Fi are available for an additional $150 over the base price for each storage tier.

Article Link: Apple Highlights iPad Pro Reviews

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Any Bluetooth headphones and usb C headphones. There’s probably some usb C adapters out there so you can connect 3.5 mm headphones.
[doublepost=1541502314][/doublepost]
I can’t draw. Never been able to.

Because you never learned or put in enough effort to do so.
Some people have have a talent for seeing light and shadow like an artist but even that can be learned.
It’s not always easy to learn, some people pick it up more quickly but everyone can learn to draw, even those without fully functioning hands.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I hardly use my Mac anymore. Mainly it’s major function these days are to house my photo library and other iTunes media. As well as storing my hard backups for my iOS devices.

When I’m at home the iPad is and has always been since it’s existance my go to device.

But with that even being said, even me with my little PC needs I still don’t ditch my Mac.

Every now and then I just want a desk top experience. I want to open hangouts and YouTube from a desktop.

I much prefer the desktop version of safari as well. It takes me a little bit of effort to start using my Mac but once I start I tend to use it for hours.

I will be buying this new iPad 12.9” but the only thing this will be replacing is my iPad Air.

Reactions: Foxglove9

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
Last year's iPhone sales figures went to show that plenty of people are willing to fork over a thousand dollars for a smartphone. This year's sales figure seem to be showing they aren't willing to do this very often. For this psychological reason, and also because as Apple's mature products approach nearer and nearer to perfection it becomes progressively harder to introduce genuinely attractive innovations, the old rule of thumb (which over the years made both Apple and its rivals a lot of money) that the normal replacement interval for smartphones should be once a year, and that of desktop and laptops should be once every three years, loses its credibility both with individual users and with organizations' purchasing agents. The new philosophy is going to be upgrade only when when the outlay is justifiable, and that's not going to be nearly so often. Especially when you're playing with very big numbers, it's difficult to kid the purchasing public into thinking that you are making meaningful improvements when you really aren't. The iPhone X hit that point in 2017, and the new crop of iPads seem to be hitting it now.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Its seems oddly overpowered and overpriced. Almost as if a new OS will be installed in the device soon.
LOL yep. first time ever, apple will release an OS for a device halfway through cycle.

haha if a new OS of considerably more power was to emerge, it would be next WWDC.
Which will be followed by a new iPad.

If Apple was to do that, they would include one or two features in that OS, which the iPad 2018 wouldnt have the 'hardware capability' for, and would force customers to upgrade to iPad 2019.

I believe there is 0 chance a mid-life OS will come out for this iPad.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
And it’s undoubtedly the most expensive tablet that can’t connect to a mouse.
Yeah, Apple clearly don't know what they are doing.:eek:
They should also get rid of the touchscreen and work on a solution for a permanently attached keyboard.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Because you never learned or put in enough effort to do so.
Some people have have a talent for seeing light and shadow like an artist but even that can be learned.
It’s not always easy to learn, some people pick it up more quickly but everyone can learn to draw, even those without fully functioning hands.
I’m sure drawing is a skill though. One which I don’t possess.

Reactions: -BigMac-
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.