Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Highlights 'iPad-Ready' Web Content

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
What happens if you use the iPad Safari browser and go to youtube.com/html5, which opts you into the HTML 5 Beta - does YouTube work, then?

Comment

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Youtube w/ HTML5 in Safari does work, tried it in the simulator.

Comment

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Youtube w/ HTML5 in Safari does work, tried it in the simulator.

Nice - I think this is going to help push Flash out the door. If Vimeo, CNN and some of the other big players are already on board, I have to assume that more niche sites like Revision3 and Mevio have to be coming along as well.

Comment

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Oh...VERY smart, Apple! Of course all websites will want to be on this list, so if they're not iPad-friendly yet, they soon will be!! (If their webmasters are smart, that is...)

Comment

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Apple really are trying to kill Flash. I hope they succeed. Adobe really are the most hopeless software company I've ever come across.

Comment

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Is HTML5 really a "standard" yet though?

This page is clearly meant to bash Adobe/Flash as EACH entry states (probably unnecessarily the use of html5 video)

Comment

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
I like how MLB.com has an iPad optimized site. NHL.com, NFL.com, and MLSnet.com should to.

I can't wait till Saturday.

Comment

BMP84

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
This is HUGE! I'm really stoked on the push, it takes a lot of guts to try and change something this big. And I'm glad to see that when I boot up my iPad saturday that I won't be seeing many blue legos as I thought!

+1

Comment

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
While I like to idea of Flash going away for video, I think online games is a bigger issue that needs to be solved. They should have just done it where you can click on a flash item and have it open in a separate app.

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Highlights 'iPad-Ready' Web Content

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As noted by 9 to 5 Mac, Apple has just posted a new page highlighting websites that it considers "iPad-ready" due to their embracing of non-Flash web standards that make them compatible with the forthcoming device.
iPad features Safari, a mobile web browser that supports the latest web standards - including HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript. Here are just a few of the sites that take advantage of these web standards to deliver content that looks and functions beautifully on iPad.
The page currently features a dozen such major websites, including CNN, The New York Times, Virgin America, and Flickr.

Like the iPhone and iPod touch, the iPad does not support Adobe's Flash technology, which has served as dominant means for displaying rich Web content. Apple has been pushing content providers to utilize other technologies to display such content, claiming that Flash is buggy and insecure while also crippling battery life for mobile devices.

Article Link: Apple Highlights 'iPad-Ready' Web Content

Comment

ippikiokami

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
While I like HTML5. Is it really better than flash for video? While I hate flash ad banners, people will just make html5 ad banners soon enough. Did anyone have problems playing youtube flash videos on their macs?

Comment

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
The problem is that the idea behind flash isn't bad (you can create beatiful animations and stuff), but the problem is that it causes many problems on both PCs and Macs and it consumes a lot of energy. So, no, I don't hope flash gets killed. I hope flash will be improved a lot (and than Apple might add it :p).

Comment

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
While I like HTML5. Is it really better than flash for video? While I hate flash ad banners, people will just make html5 ad banners soon enough. Did anyone have problems playing youtube flash videos on their macs?

Flash makes my Macbook run incredibly slow. HTML5 runs fine.

Comment

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I would just like to say that on my Windows computer, Quicktime is slow and bloated, and I avoid websites (like Apple.com) that don't use flash.

It's a 2-way street Apple, how about you stop being so arrogant.

Comment

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
So are the videos only html5 when viewed on the ipad, becuase there still Flash on my mac... i mean its like a 90% effort which is good, it will work on ipad

buttt..... i'd prefer html5 on my desktop too

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.