Apple Highlights New Batch of Emoji Coming to iOS, macOS, and watchOS Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2017.

1. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I was somewhat surprised that the basic smiley isn't number one. Crying laughing is. Hearts and heart eyes next. Basic smiley is in the top ten though (number six).

2. mollyc macrumors 6502a

they are really getting rid of the frog?

3. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

As per the article: "All of the emoji shared today were previously included in the new Unicode 10 standard released in June."

The Unicode consortium is not the same thing as Apple, so Apple didn't add anything that wasn't already standardized by someone else. If you truly upset about a breastfeeding emoji, here's the link to the Unicode consortium so that you can write them a complaint: http://www.unicode.org/contacts.html

4. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Dang. Forgot to account for the fact that "content" isn't good enough-- everything has to be extreme...

5. TheTruth101 macrumors regular

The movie Idiocracy was really a sci-fi comedy? Sometimes reality is just funny.

6. RMD68 macrumors 6502

All while building their resume and getting paid handsomely. The horror!

7. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

WHAT? who said they're removing pepe?

feelsbadman.gif

8. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

Because every mammal that gives live births on the planet breast feeds, and normal people aren't offended by a basic parenting function.

9. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

So when an iPhone user sends a water pistol emoji to an Android user, is it still going to be a gun on the other end?

10. RMD68 macrumors 6502

Do you even use a Mac, or are you basing the assumption of iTunes as a whole on the PC version of iTunes use?

11. sjalfr macrumors newbie

sjalfr

Everything is offensive to at least one person. At the end of the day you just have to make sure everybody is offended equally. Otherwise nothing will happen.

12. Superhappytree macrumors 6502

Superhappytree

I think I'm the only one who has never used that tears of joy emoji. I hate it. It's so obnoxious, especially when used with several in a row over stuff that isn't even funny or just mildly amusing like:

I already feel like punching a wall. Wait..... oh God... I used it. I feel dirty.

Edit: Thankfully they don't show up on MacRumors

13. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

One of today's young people just fixed your grammar. :p:):cool:

14. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

Breastfeeding is not a sexual act, unless you view infants eating in a sexual manner. Therefore, your comparison is invalid. What you're proposing is some bizarre prohibition on what you personally want to not see, when you have every option to not use the emojis in question. No one needs you to nanny the world, and I certainly think no one here asked you to play tastemaker for society.

15. trainwrecka macrumors 6502

The normal circle-face emojis are all yellow and can't be changed. Only the human-looking emojis can be altered.

16. jimsz macrumors newbie

Emojis? Who cares. Don't have that option turned on since I am not 11 years old.

Apple's news is really about emojis? Mac mini 1000 days old, totally missed the mark with Mac Pro, & my local Apple store still does not have iPad pros (12.9) in stock.

But yeah Apple, make a big deal out of smiley faces f0r 11 year olds. Timmy needs to focus on delivering product.

17. carpleror macrumors 6502

It's not, my point is why is it LESS OFFENSIVE than a pistol...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---
    No one said they were offended by breastfeeding! Just like no one said they were offended by a freaking pistol!

18. Tapiture macrumors 6502a

*can't remember the last time I used an emoji*

19. jimsz macrumors newbie

I am not offended that someone breastfeeds at home. I am offended when I am paying $100 for dinner and the lady at the next table proceeds to breastfeed. Some things are private. This is one of them.

20. carpleror macrumors 6502

I proposed no prohibition! I'm protesting against Apple nannying me! I don't give a **** if there's a breastfeeding emoji, but I don't want Apple to tell me I can't have a ****ing pistol emoji!

21. Superhappytree, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

Superhappytree macrumors 6502

Superhappytree

For most of us here we don't care so much, but for the average joe that's actually the main reason why they update. It is a clever way of getting those people to update when they are reluctant to do so, even if Apple unintentionally mean to do that.

"Ugh... I wish my phone would stop bugging me with this stupid update! *hits ignore*"

*reads twitter and sees everyone talking about new emojis in said update*

"OMG! I'm updating now! I want that puking one sooo much!"

I'm not even mocking them there or trying to, that's what they say every time a new iOS version which includes new emojis trends.

22. jdillings macrumors 65816

Apple adding elf and breast feeding emoji...what a great time to be alive

23. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Emoji's were fun for a while but now there are just too many of them. It takes forever to find the right one and they're poorly organized. As I said in another thread they will likely end up like the old dingbats fonts.

24. wbc macrumors member

No. All these emoji make it harder for users to express themselves because it takes longer to browse thru 500 emojis to find the one you want than to just type a word or phrase...

25. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

With all the things in iOS and macOS that need time and effort they spend time doing this!
    Wtf...