Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has reportedly hiked orders for parts and components required for the production of the upcoming iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, according to sources from the supply chain in Taiwan (via DigiTimes).

Apple shipped on average 30 million iPhone 6s units a month in the second half of 2015. The company originally predicted shipments of the iPhone 7 this year would reach only 60 percent of that number over the same period, but supply chain sources are today reporting that Apple has boosted its original prediction by 10 percent.

iphone7dummyunits-800x600.jpg
Dummy mockups of iPhone 7 handsets

The hike in order volumes suggests Apple is increasingly upbeat about demand for the new devices among existing iPhone owners seeking to upgrade, despite relatively subdued interest in the iPhone 7 models compared to the pre-launch buzz of previous years.

Another potential factor in Apple's upward revision is Samsung's global recall of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone last week, which followed numerous complaints that the device caught fire while charging. The news arguably couldn't have come at a worse time for Apple's biggest rival, which has pitched its Note 7 as a direct competitor to Apple's 5.5-inch iPhones.

Samsung has already voluntarily pulled its flagship device from 10 countries, including South Korea and the U.S. Target has reportedly stopped selling the phone, while Amazon and Best Buy have also said they are no longer selling the Note 7. In the latest blow, Consumer Reports has called for an official recall which would make it illegal to sell the phones in the U.S.

Samsung has told customers it will take at least 14 days to replace their phones, and with several mobile operators including T-Mobile offering full refunds to Note buyers over the same week the new iPhones are expected to be announced, Apple's offering could prove a tempting alternative.

A lot depends on how fast Apple can fulfill pre-orders for its new handsets. While the company typically releases an iPhone about two weeks after introducing it, scheduling information from AT&T indicates that the iPhone 7 might not launch until later in the month, on September 23.

Previous information from notable smartphone leaker Even Blass suggested pre-orders for the iPhone 7 will take place this Friday, September 9, two days after the debut event. That date is in line with the schedule from AT&T.

However, Blass also predicted an iPhone launch for September 16, so if the AT&T information is accurate and does relate to release preparations, the previous prediction could be incorrect. September 16 and September 23 are both likely candidates for an iPhone release date.

Despite Apple's revised orders, some suppliers reportedly remain worried that the uplift could be short-lived, given that order volumes for new parts and components may start drifting down in Q4 "on seasonality".

Be sure to check out our "What to Expect" post for a recap on other announcements expected at Wednesday's event and stay tuned to MacRumors for other last-minute news and rumors.

We'll have full live coverage here on MacRumors.com on the event day, as well as through our MacRumorsLive Twitter account, starting at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

Article Link: Apple Hikes Order Volumes for iPhone 7 Parts in Wake of Samsung Recall

Reactions: appledefenceforce

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Even my father said something about this to me and he doesn't even care about smartphones. Things like this spread fast.

I think it's spread fast because it's a product safety recall, I believe by law they have to contact all media outlets to get the message out there? Not 100% certain mind but safety recalls do tend to get lots of media coverage.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Apple must have secret sabotage employees working at Samsung or allowed them to steal boobytrapped battery designs like the U.S. did during wwii with ship designs that would sink.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Q1 2017 will be the biggest ever for Apple. One extra week will be the icing on the ginormous cake.
[doublepost=1473074887][/doublepost]
Maybe they can quickly drill a 3.5mm hole in the bottom, then they can really ramp it up.

... or include wireless AirPods and ramp it up even more.

Reactions: Someone256

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
Despite the fact that only a tiny percentage of notes are actually blowing up, the first thing everyone says when you mention the note7 from now on will be "doesnt that phone blow up?" Just like the 6 plus' was "doesnt that phone bend?".

Mine didn't bend. Even if it did, my house wouldn't be at risk of burning down, or my family's lives wouldn't be endangered. But of course, you're right; bending phones and exploding phones carry the same risks. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
Note is a cool phone but isn't a massive seller, iPhone 7 is just 6SS don't get to excited apple

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Looking at what percent of that additional order is the larger (5.5") iPhone 7 will inform to what extent the Samsung burning battery issue played into it. Presumably, someone wanting a Note 7 would consider an iPhone Plus.

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
Hmm I'd be doubtful, because the main selling pint of the Note is the pen / stylus. Otherwise people would buy the bigger Galaxy.
So I can't see many sales going to the iPhone 7 but who knows?
Exactly, specially how Samsung only shipped 2M Note7, and less than half than that were sold. No one cares about the Note or about the pen.

There's nothing here to justify the increase in orders from Apple.

Reactions: FFR

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Apparently there are no editorial standards at MR any longer. This post is loaded with awkward sentence structures and use of the passive voice. I was under the impression that MR was a legitimate well-run site but see now it is not (or was and is no longer). But if you want to know how to unlock your iPhone or check email on your phone they have nice long articles for that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.