Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrashCanBin

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
very often displays Apple ships in its computers start magically failing just after the 12 months period. For example my iMac had a perfect display when i took it out of the box, bt about 14 months later it started forming spots in all corners. The old iMac also started showing vertical lines just about the time warranty expired. Both displays from LG.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Tsss... Everyone knows that when you buy a Mac, you should put aside twice the price of the Mac which you will inevitably spend on repairs steadily over the course of 5 years. But on the bright side, at the end of 5 years, all of your Macs parts have been replaced with brand new ones, so you can sell it on eBay and list it as "New"!

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Sucks for him, but I don't see how he has a case given that it's outside of the warranty period.

Do you guys have no consumer protection laws at all?

I'm not 100% sure on the official terminology, but in the UK (and presumably all across the EU) we have the right to demand a replacement on goods that dont last a 'satisfactory amount of time' - I.E in general don't last as long as you'd expect them to. This does mainly apply to electronics, and is based on price. So a £30 LCD obviously will not get replaced 2 years down the line, but a £500 one might.

It's a very grey area, but the law is there so that when something like this comes up, the consumer is protected, and rightly so.

I had a very similar on a 2007 iMac - the screen had terrible ghosting and was replaced twice under Applecare. I was able to get it replaced again 6 months after it expired - I just said it hadn't lasted a satisfactory amount of time for the price, and they accepted it.

I believe Australia also has the same, or a very similar law.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hence the reason for consumer law in the UK.
One year warranty is not good enough.
Simple.

But that's also part of the reason products in the UK cost more. There are countless threads on MacRumors complaining that Apple products cost more in the UK, Europe, or Australia than the current exchange-adjusted US price.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I had the display replaced on my 2010 27" iMac under AppleCare for severe discoloration back in June of 2012.

That discoloration is returning again, only over a more widespread area. I plan on bringing it back in soon before the AppleCare expires on it. The warranty replacement cost for mine was $605.93.

6023521e-baed-4f4f.jpg

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
It boggles my mind sometimes that people still avoid AppleCare on the iMac. It's $169, can often times be had for less on eBay and I can assure you, there are not many parts in that computer if any at all that are cheaper than $169, and that's not even factoring in labor.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I agree with the guy suing. Apple machines are 'meant' to provide long life usage, but my power supply in my iMac started making buzzing noises outside its warranty period, but I claimed the repair under EU warranty (the warranty apple doesn't want you to know about'

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
What is the relevance of the lemon?

suggesting that the iMac is a lemon... like a number of cars (like the Yugo).

I just responded a to a thread about why someone may want applecare. This is exactly why you want applecare. It is a just in case purchase... because you never know but just in case...

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
So the judge should rule this out saying that Apple offers extended warranties.

I guess I should complain to Acura my transmission is notchy when shifting even though my car is a 2003 and the warranty expired over 6 years ago.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Is this guy joking? That stinks his monitor is not working well but it is well past the warranty period.

The A/C on my 4 year old car isn't blowing as cold now as it used to when new - guess I should sue BMW for 10 million lol.

America and these law suit laws seriously need an overhaul so frivolousness can be cut off at the source before tying up court time.

Absolutely right. We need to be more like Europe, where the product has to be serviced for longer against these types of defects, am I right? Yes? Yes?

No?

Well...Europe isn't sue happy but they have stronger consumer protection laws...

btcutter

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Credit card!!

If he had bought the iMac with a Credit Card, especially AMEX, it automatically double it's manufacturer's warranty. So instead of 1 yr, you will get 2 which would have taken care of the issue. Most Visa and MC also does this now.

wonder if he bothered to check.

btcutter

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
It boggles my mind sometimes that people still avoid AppleCare on the iMac. It's $169, can often times be had for less on eBay and I can assure you, there are not many parts in that computer if any at all that are cheaper than $169, and that's not even factoring in labor.

Why pay for Apple Care if your credit card doubles your manufacturer's warranty?

AMEX alway do that. So I get two years. That's pretty darn good for electronics.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I feel like this is his fault, Apple does offer you a one year warranty which they don't have to do, and you can but an additional 3 year warranty. I bought the three year addition which saved me from GPU failure just last week. Had I not gotten the warranty I would have payed. Too bad for him.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
So Apple's reputation for quality is now being used against them. Got it.

So you think quality is overpriced (i love my imac but the specs and price is a joke) items that brakes after 18 month ? 12 month warranty is a joke and so is AppleCare.

Thank god I live in Denmark with 2 years of warranty and if products brake because of poor quality build you can complain for a loooong time :)

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Apple should just build the cost of Applecare into each device and extend the warranty to three years.

You UK'ers complain why your prices are higher, guess what's built into the price there? :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Yea, but the lawyers will end up with tens of millions. Each.

Class action lawsuits have gotten out of hand. Lawyers scramble to be the lead attorney because they get a percentage of the total award. The rest of us get a $5 coupon to use on our next purchase of an iMac.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
This is why I stopped buying iMacs. I have 24" Apple LED display from Craigslist and have only bought Mini's in recent years. I hated the thought of the display going out on an otherwise perfectly functioning PC and I hated the anxiety of buying a new iMac with dead/stuck pixels.

While it's true that Mini's don't keep pace with the technology in the iMacs, that's a trade off I've been willing to make.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
I had my late 09 iMac's screen replaced three times because f pixels. or discoloration, and I had the graphics card replaced twice as well. Im so happy that I had AppleCare, because most of these issues happened after the first year. My AppleCare then expired, and I was having screen problems again, and emailed Tim Cook with the issue. I received a call back the next day, and they ended up replacing the screen again, and giving me three additional months of warranty service.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
So the judge should rule this out saying that Apple offers extended warranties.

I guess I should complain to Acura my transmission is notchy when shifting even though my car is a 2003 and the warranty expired over 6 years ago.

Your warranty expired over 6 years ago. He was 6 months past his.

6 years is equivalent to 6 months. Got it.;)

bad analogy is bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.