Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i would love to know where that $700 to repair came from. liquid damage on a 13 inch is $755 plus tax and flat rate non damage is $575 plus tax tops. and I'm pretty sure only logic boards and displays go up to the $600-700 range in part costs. a top case if the battery is attached is maybe $400
[doublepost=1527141097][/doublepost]
How Apple missed this keyboard issue in testing is beyond me.

they test in clean rooms. every mention of this failure is due to dust or other dirt. so it's basically damaged by the user but they don't charge damage pricing

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I always love that youtube video, the jabs apply to Apple even today. What she says at the end reminds me of a lot of the Apple defenders here on the forum who insist that there is no problem with the keyboards:

"It remains to be seen if the MacBook wheel will catch on in the business world where people use computers for actual work and not just dicking around."

apple will roll out this next gen keyboard. Problem solved

angrymacbookowner

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2018
Around Christmas last year I finally got to upgrade my old macbook pro 2013, 13". I purchased the 2017 15" model and was looking forward to tinkering with it during the holiday. After 1.5 week I noticed more and more mistakes while typing. I thought I just had to get used to the keyboard but within 3 weeks it became apparent that the B, H and G keys were verifiable broken.

I've spent hours on the phone with their experts and "senior" product managers. And guess what they can't do anything for me. I can't get my money back because of 2 week return policy and I can't get a new machine because I purchased at a premium reseller. So far I got it repaired two times but the keyboard never lasted more than a month.

They were happy to tell me that my product is within warranty so I can get free repairs. Lucky me! I can take the machine that I need for work to a apple service center every other month and maybe have it back within 1 or 2 weeks.

For now I returned back to work on my macbook pro 2013 model and my brand new Macbook 2017 sits on my desk like a glorified paperweight.

I just want my money back and be done with this ********.

Reactions: CarlJ and Yvan256

MikeSweden

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
We have four of these MBP in my family. Two of them have experienced multiple key problems. Compressed air solved most of the problems. But one keyboard had to be replaced. So it seems that not all is affected.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
As a owner of the new 12” MacBook,I can confirm the the new butterfly keyboard really do suck and without a doubt is a flawed design.
Keys randomly stuck all the time,and typing experience is truly an awkward,unpleasant experience.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
With the Touch Bar and the low-travel butterfly keyboards, I predict that Apple is grooming users for a touch screen keyboard. While they've said that they won't produce a touch screen MacBook, they never said anything about replacing the keyboard with a touch screen...

Problem solved: No crumbs; no key travel; thin; and, finally, a touch screen MacBook.
If you take away the keyboard and replace it with a touchscreen, isn't that just a tablet with a hinge?

Last edited:

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
My keyboard seems to be fine for the moment, but if a problem does arise in the future I can hope that there is some kind of recall for faulty machines or at least free repair.

I don’t know, but I think in the UK an item has to be fit for purpose (and by my reckoning, a laptops keyboard needs to work) and can be covered for up to 6 years by law. Of course, I’d rather my keyboard didn’t fail, but if the problem is as widespread as people suggest, being prepared for it wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I’d buy Apple care but I don’t much like the idea of that after spending so much already.

I steer clear of my laptop while I eat, but was thinking of taking it on holiday. Maybe I should leave it at home... I’m guessing even one grain of sand could be a problem lol... :eek:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I tried to like the new keyboard but once a key got stuck, and then another, and then the first one again, I realized why people were complaining. I'm a light user and don't eat while using it but lordy are those keys finicky. Bad design Apple.
Apple seems to ask everyone to use their MacBook in an industrial level cleaning room all the time, while my good old MacBook Air is using in a dusty room and still functional.

This keyboard defect and that weird touch bar are enough to drive me back to buy any new MacBook.
[doublepost=1527152686][/doublepost]
If you take away the keyboard and replace it with a touchscreen, isn't that just a tablet?
Maybe Apple does not want MacBook anymore. They want everyone to use iPad.

Reactions: Yvan256

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The touchpad actually does have travel. You can see it move if you press down on it.

Yes, but without the haptics the movement is imperceptible unless you look really closely - c.f. the older touchpads with a physical click. They're using strain gauges rather that switches with contacts - not exactly "no moving parts" but close. Most of the "illusion" of movement is coming from the haptics, especially the "force click".

You’re fingers are not at the same angle for each keystroke. So there needs to be compensation for that factor that a fully flat key surface would struggle with.

However, you can say much the same of the current butterfly keyboard - its about as close to "fully flat" as you could get with individual, physical keyswitches. I don't think people are going to be chucking out their Model M's or Das Keyboards for a touch keyboard, but if you really must have a thin'n'crispy ultrabook...

But for a glass keyboard - for touch typing, you have to be able to feel the keys without looking at them, you have to be able to rest your fingers on them, ready to press a key at just the right moment, and feel the edges of the keys to be able to tell precisely where your fingers are positioned.

Well, yes, I'm definitely thinking of a touch keyboard that could have keys textured into the surface rather that a perfectly smooth surface that somehow electronically creates the illusion of keys (which is what you'd need for a touch screen). Again, I'm presuming that this is for people who would accept the butterfly keyboard if only it were reliable.

As for localising the haptic 'click' to the key being pressed - my hunch is that you won't need to do that, and even if you have other fingers resting on the keys your brain will associate the feedback with the finger you're pressing down with (interesting question - if someone has never, ever used a clickable trackpad, does the 'illusion' of the Magic Trackpad 2 work for them?)

Reactions: CarlJ

jeffreyg

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
Melbourne
We have 16 in the office, from 2016 and 2017. 9 of them have issues.

We had multiple previous models with no issues, but many of the same employees.

We have 12 of the 2016 & 2017 models, and have had problems with 5 of them. And same story, users who have used other Apple laptops with us for years and had no issues, or even visible wear and tear.

Reactions: CarlJ and Yvan256

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
its really sad to see the successor becomes worse than a predecessor, it shows we are moving backwards not forwards. Computers are expensive and used heavily on a daily basis, they should be durable and last a long time.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
Yes, but without the haptics the movement is imperceptible unless you look really closely - c.f. the older touchpads with a physical click. They're using strain gauges rather that switches with contacts - not exactly "no moving parts" but close. Most of the "illusion" of movement is coming from the haptics, especially the "force click".

However, you can say much the same of the current butterfly keyboard - its about as close to "fully flat" as you could get with individual, physical keyswitches. I don't think people are going to be chucking out their Model M's or Das Keyboards for a touch keyboard, but if you really must have a thin'n'crispy ultrabook...

Well, yes, I'm definitely thinking of a touch keyboard that could have keys textured into the surface rather that a perfectly smooth surface that somehow electronically creates the illusion of keys (which is what you'd need for a touch screen). Again, I'm presuming that this is for people who would accept the butterfly keyboard if only it were reliable.

As for localising the haptic 'click' to the key being pressed - my hunch is that you won't need to do that, and even if you have other fingers resting on the keys your brain will associate the feedback with the finger you're pressing down with (interesting question - if someone has never, ever used a clickable trackpad, does the 'illusion' of the Magic Trackpad 2 work for them?)

I think we would see non physical keys on laptops by now if it were a truly plausible thing. It is one thing to implement palm rejection on the touchpad but an entirely different thing to apply that to tiny sections of touchable surface across that broad expanse. How would it know what was accidental and what wasn’t?

Saying that! I’d be intrigued to see it and how Apple might make it work! There would need to be some extremely clever software in the background.

In the meantime, I guess we are ‘stuck’ with this keyboard.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
We have four of these MBP in my family. Two of them have experienced multiple key problems. Compressed air solved most of the problems. But one keyboard had to be replaced. So it seems that not all is affected.

Well normal product failure rates should be in the ppt / ppm level... so 2 out of 4 is *terrible*...

xxDEATHTRAPZxx

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Australia, Perth
I have a MBP 2017 one of the keys is stuck, is it worth me waiting for this lawsuit to go through or bring it to apple? Will they cover in-warrenty repairs or is it not a repair they cover?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Class action lawsuits are about making money for lawyers. If they win they make millions, the people “wronged” get dollars.
Yes the lawyers make big bucks. However, its a way for Joe Public to hold large companies accountable that would not be available otherwise.

Reactions: dwsolberg

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Prediction: Apple will roll out the testing videos for the butterfly mechanism keyboards and the hard data on the % of keyboards that actually fail and these lawsuits will fade into obscurity.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
How long have you had them? Are they 2016s or 2017s?

2016s
[doublepost=1527165047][/doublepost]
No. A recall is a very specific thing that this is not.

See https://www.usa.gov/recalls

"A recall is an action taken by a manufacturer, or the government, to protect the public from products (such as medications, food, vehicles, child safety seats, cosmetics, and more) that may cause health or safety problems."

You're splitting hairs, unless people are getting electrocuted from their keyboards, the government is never going to make them issue an official recall.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Well normal product failure rates should be in the ppt / ppm level... so 2 out of 4 is *terrible*...

No, 2 out of 4 is anecdotal. For example, if I bought a monitor and it turns out to have dead pixels and I return it for a replacement unit, that would be a 50% failure rate...but only for me individually. That's proof of nothing on a broad scale.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
We have six of them in the office with zero issues, is this a real issue or a vocal minority?

There is a big difference from the 2016 butterfly keyboards, and the butterfly ones in later 2017 and beyond. I bought the 2016, had keyboard issues, returned it, bought another one, had keyboard issues again, although not as bad. I had it the keyboard replaced under warranty end of 2017, and this keyboard has (so far) been problem free.

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'll take my faster processor, faster RAM, faster SSD, and faster I/O interfaces instead.

You're paying 80% of the price for the 2015 model, that's 4 generations behind. Seems pretty silly.

It's a little silly.

First, performance gains aren't that big of a deal...I work on a 2012 MBP retina with 16GB of RAM and an i7. It's snappy and fast for general use (when I'm not getting cpu throttling due to a bad thermal sensor)...now I'm not rendering video or anything on this thing, but otherwise, it's still a reasonable daily driver. I'm sure the 2015 model is even better than my crappy 2012. Second, depending on the peripherals people are intending to use with the laptop, the slower I/O interfaces may make daily use demonstrably easier with less reliance on dongles for "legacy" devices like USB mouses, keyboards, printers, that are still being used at home and work....not to mention people who use SD cards.

Personally, if I had a newer model, I would probably get rid of a lot of my peripherals and buy bluetooth versions...but I recognize that the choice I'd be making is trade off that Apple is coercing me to make through their decision to nix other ports. I don't think those who take issue with this scenario are silly.

The price is silly...you are right. But, whose fault is that?

What we are left here is a decision based on trade offs...do I pay for the more advanced machine with the trade offs in ports and build quality (I'm claiming the keyboard problems indicate problems with build quality compared to the earlier models), or do I pay too much for the older design that has a better keyboard, fewer necessary dongles, and is still pretty fast?

Personally, I wouldn't buy the 2015 version...or the 2016 or 17 ones...I'm holding my breath for this year's iteration.

But, I do think it's a problem that Apple has created a situation where buying the newest and best feels like a trade off...it should be a no brainer all around.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Good. Apple deserves this class action lawsuit. I actually wish that there were DOZENS of class action lawsuits against Apple for this terrible keyboard (and for this MacBook Pro being terrible in ALL ways)... instead of just 2 class action lawsuits. Hopefully, we will see more class action lawsuits against Apple in the near future for creating and selling this awful machine.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Class action lawsuits are about making money for lawyers. If they win they make millions, the people “wronged” get dollars.
Bullcrap cynical view is cynical. Legitimate class action suits are about making the company, and others who might follow suit, know that there is a hefty price to be paid for designing and foisting defective products or pulling anti-competitive nonsense on the public (don't know if the MB KB falls into that, haven't followed the situation). When I get notices of being in a class action lawsuit award, you're right, it is pretty meager (e.g. I will get a free DVD rental if I send in the form), I just toss it as not worth my time. But I bet that big rental company/box owner will think twice before trying to pull that anti-competition shenanigans a second time. Hit'em where it hurts -> the bottom line. That's the point of class action. And the law firms that pursue these cases usually do all the work and eat all the costs, for years, on their own dime. Once you factor in all the bills to be paid and deferred salaries and such, the payouts aren't as great as you might think based on what the _courts_ decide to award. And you know, they just might lose the case.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I think we would see non physical keys on laptops by now if it were a truly plausible thing.

Well there aren’t many large, haptic trackpads either - and I rather think that Apple have shown that those work. Probably got it all patented to the hilt..

Also, this is all predicated on people actually wanting ultra thin keyboards (if they are reliable), which has only been a thing since the MB came out.

As I said, I’m not sure that individually vibrating keys would be necessary - you may naturally associate the ‘click’ with the key you’re pressing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.