Apple Hit With Two Class Action Lawsuits Over iPhone 7 Audio Issues

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is often the pre-requisite before Apple will launch a repair extension program.

Until then, Apple will forever claim a “small percentage” of owners are affected.
In terms of it being a design or manufacturing issue it probably is a small percentage. In terms of it being the result of folks bending the phone in their pockets, sitting on it etc, probably a higher percentage. But is the latter really Apple’s fault. I mean they have never claimed their devices are bend resistant much less bend proof

And yet Apple will bend the knee and repair the devices so they can avoid legal fees etc and folks will say that it’s proof of guilt when the issue could have been normal wear and tear (which is why it takes time to manifest) or caused by users

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
The issue is not dumb, suing Apple for millions of dollars is dumb. If the product didn't work then don't buy another. The only people going to make out are the lawyers. That is is. Class action lawsuits are made for lawyers to make money. I was in a class action lawsuit once and it recovered over $100 million dollars. I got $7.68. Lawyer, over $50 million.
And that's exactly why class actions are a good idea, at least in theory. Apple owes you that $7.68; why should they keep it? But you were never going to do what it would take to collect it, on your own. So someone else did the work for you, and took a commission for their efforts. As to the $50M to the lawyers, undoubtedly the lawyers put up several million dollars out of their own pockets for expense. If the case had been lost, they wouldn't get that back.

The downside of these suits is that sometimes the juries have no idea how to put a value on the loss; and once in a while, they come up with a preposterous number. But, in your case, if you got $7.68, they probably put the value of your individual loss at ~$11; which doesn't seem crazy, if you did experience a real problem.

Reactions: iamMacPerson

HaveFaithInYou

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2019
I was unaware about an issue W/the iPhone 7. But I’m so incredibly upset that a lot of the time - people cannot hear me. It’s immensely frustrating. I am on disability & I paid $604.00 a little over two years ago.

Can anyone please, please tell me how I may join the lawsuit. I reside in Florida.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
My theory, the defect would manifest after usage, so no amount of testing could’ve predicted it. Apple then rely on its support system to gauge whether the problem is real or not. I’m sure they have internal metrics to see if there’s a really underlying consistent issue across many devices from different batches (meaning actual design flaw), or it’s an occasional issue but the numbers are not significant enough to make an obvious correlation with a real design flaw.

The problem is, this support system relies on humans, both users and the genius, and I’m sure the reporting process are not entirely foolproof.

We’ll see if this lawsuits go somewhere. Apple is known to take risks in allowing things just because Ive team wanted it. Case in point antennagate, where it is revealed that Apple engineers did warn Jobs about it, but Jobs sided with Ive, and the rest is history.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I had to pay to have my iPhone X replaced. It was literally in water for less than a couple minutes at most. The person across the table from me dropped her XR in a puddle and was told that she had to pay for a replacement from water damage. Neither one was visibly damaged or cracked in anyway.
You went from many people to 2 people:
Apple really needs to be sued over the claim of the new iPhones being IP67 water resistant. I have seen so many people with damaged phones because of rain, puddles, splash damage and users are not as careful because they think the phones are water resistant to a depth of 3 feet for 30 minutes.
Not saying this didn't happen to you or the other person, just hard to counter anecdotal claims on the internet.
They can't be used to prove a point because the veracity of the claim is hard to verify.

bgalakazam

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
I had this issue and Apple refused initially to repair. Ended up with a free iPhone swap and a 3mo warranty.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Americans don't do much besides sueing each other trying to get rich
Well, in between inventing the internet and visiting the Moon and creating the products this entire site is dedicated to the discussion of... yeeeahhh... :rolleyes: :D

Reactions: jagooch

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
In terms of it being a design or manufacturing issue it probably is a small percentage. In terms of it being the result of folks bending the phone in their pockets, sitting on it etc, probably a higher percentage.
Two probables don't equal a fact.
Next man can say the total opposite.
Data is needed to prove your claim.
But is the latter really Apple’s fault. I mean they have never claimed their devices are bend resistant much less bend proof
You used two probables and then proceed to defend them.
This is called imagination.
And yet Apple will bend the knee (after bad Press or losing ligation) and repair the devices so they can avoid legal fees etc
You forgot the part in red.
and folks will say that it’s proof of guilt
Maybe it is?
when the issue could have been normal wear and tear (which is why it takes time to manifest) or caused by users
Key words: could have been
Speculation is fine. Doesn't mean anything without some data to back it up.

4ransom

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
New York, NY
My son needs an updated phone and I was looking at picking up a used iPhone 7 on swappa. Is this a generation of iPhones to avoid?
Yes avoid the 7. I've had this issue for 6 months. Apple wants me to pay $300 for an iPhone 7 replacement! Using my headphones to make calls while waiting for the new 2019 iPhones in September. By this fall (with the new phones & iOS 13) the 7 will be obsolete.

alexandr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
alexanderkaplan.com
I think the water indicator on his water resistant iPhone 7 was activated. But it wasn’t related to the microphone issue, it just voided his warranty.
i see, well yes, that is unfortunate. still doesn't justify a lawsuit imho. i've had a serious of issues over the years, some that apple won't even acknowledge, but i think these lawsuits are just silly.
[doublepost=1557254448][/doublepost]
Yes avoid the 7. I've had this issue for 6 months. Apple wants me to pay $300 for an iPhone 7 replacement! Using my headphones to make calls while waiting for the new 2019 iPhones in September. By this fall (with the new phones & iOS 13) the 7 will be obsolete.
that's terrible advice) i had a 7 - it was fine, my wife still uses hers. and if she buys a new one, it will come with warranty.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
In terms of it being a design or manufacturing issue it probably is a small percentage. In terms of it being the result of folks bending the phone in their pockets, sitting on it etc, probably a higher percentage. But is the latter really Apple’s fault. I mean they have never claimed their devices are bend resistant much less bend proof

And yet Apple will bend the knee and repair the devices so they can avoid legal fees etc and folks will say that it’s proof of guilt when the issue could have been normal wear and tear (which is why it takes time to manifest) or caused by users
The Touch IC issue with the iPhone 6 was a given because of how malleable the aluminum was on that model, almost like a stick of gum. The 6s was made more ridged and has had no real issues. The 8 shares a similar chassis design and seems to be fine, and the X and Xs with it’s stacked logic board seems ok. So why is it that the 7 is having these problems? It seems Apple put the Audio IC right near the least ridged part of the chassis: the SIM tray area.

IMO this would not be as big of an issue if it didn’t cause boot looping and/or hang at boot. But because the software cannot initialize the audio circuit at boot, the phone fails to start. An easy work around would be to disable the check at boot, at least the phone will still be functional except for making calls, ya know, like a phone is supposed to. The other thing would be to re-enforce the chassis in the area to prevent that weak spot. Knowing Apple though, they’ll just put out a program to swap the phone without actually attempting to fix the issue, just like the 2011 MacBook Pro and Butterfly Keyboard.

Notice, though, how many other manufactures make phones that seem to be able to take a decent beating without having an issue, but the iPhone 7 will break from just being in your pocket. I guess people will have to start carrying bags to keep their phone in, since their pockets are worthless.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Apple really needs to be sued over the claim of the new iPhones being IP67 water resistant. I have seen so many people with damaged phones because of rain, puddles, splash damage and users are not as careful because they think the phones are water resistant to a depth of 3 feet for 30 minutes.
The IP68 (XS, XS Max) standard means that a device is dust tight and mostly water resistant, meaning some water may get in.

The testing procedures are usually with clean, climate controlled, non turbulent water where the device is gently submerged without being dropped to get that depth of 1-2m for 30 minutes.

Any physical damage, including bends or dents in the enclosure, a cracked display, cracked camera lenses, etc voids any water resistance. Changes in temperature, normal wear, exposure to chemicals or acids, etc also diminishes water resistance.

These are also accidental exposure ratings, meaning the device should never be intentionally submerged, used in the shower or a pool, or soaked. A small spill of water, juice, coffee, or tea can be handled.

You can look up the IEC rating codes yourself, and also look on Apple’s website under support article HT207043 for care guidelines.

So, why should Apple be sued for their IP ratings? Why should Apple be liable?

jagooch

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
gearsofgeek.com
Obsolete is a strong word. My iphone 7 plus is going strong and shows no signs of dying any time soon.

I want at least another year out of it, two more would be great :)

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I had to pay to have my iPhone X replaced. It was literally in water for less than a couple minutes at most. The person across the table from me dropped her XR in a puddle and was told that she had to pay for a replacement from water damage. Neither one was visibly damaged or cracked in anyway.
They’re not designed for that. Any time a device is dropped, everything flexes and moves. Watch any slow motion video. That would allow water to enter. In my post above, I mention how water resistance testing is done in a controlled, clean, and gentle manner for maximum resistance/depth rating. They are not designed to fall, impact, and resist water simultaneously.

Waterndirt

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2014
California
The issue is not dumb, suing Apple for millions of dollars is dumb. If the product didn't work then don't buy another. The only people going to make out are the lawyers. That is is. Class action lawsuits are made for lawyers to make money. I was in a class action lawsuit once and it recovered over $100 million dollars. I got $7.68. Lawyer, over $50 million.
Not true. I was recently involved in a Class Action involving a large health care provider and I was sent a check for $3500.

The thing is, these phones do work. From time to time every manufacturer is going to have issues. They need to be held liable for these issues when they arise. I had to buy new phone because of this issue. Apple wouldn't help other than asking me to restart it and update software.