Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors was first to report that Apple was planning to rebrand "Apple ID" to "Apple Account" across its software platforms and websites like iCloud.com as early as this year, and now Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has corroborated this change.

iOS-17-Passkey-With-Apple-ACCOUNT-Feature.jpg
A mockup of the new Apple Account branding

In his Power On newsletter today, Gurman said the new "Apple Account" branding will start to be used later this year both online and in Apple's next major software releases, such as iOS 18 for the iPhone and watchOS 11 for the Apple Watch.

Apple already refers to funds added to an Apple ID as an "Apple Account balance," and Gurman said there is an "Apple Account" team within the company. With the full rebranding later this year, the term Apple ID is expected to be completely phased out, over two decades after the company started using it. Apple's reasoning behind the decision is not known, but "Apple Account" would be more straightforward branding.

Apple will preview iOS 18 and its other major software updates at its developers conference WWDC in June, and the rebranding to "Apple Account" will likely be announced then. The updates should be widely released in September.

Article Link: 'Apple ID' Expected to Change to 'Apple Account' Starting With iOS 18

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018

MacRumors was first to report that Apple was planning to rebrand "Apple ID" to "Apple Account" across its software platforms and websites like iCloud.com as early as this year, and now Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has corroborated this change.

iOS-17-Passkey-With-Apple-ACCOUNT-Feature.jpg

A mockup of the new Apple Account branding

In his Power On newsletter today, Gurman said the new "Apple Account" branding will start to be used later this year both online and in Apple's next major software releases, such as iOS 18 for the iPhone and watchOS 11 for the Apple Watch.

Apple already refers to funds added to an Apple ID as an "Apple Account balance," and Gurman said there is an "Apple Account" team within the company. With the full rebranding later this year, the term Apple ID is expected to be completely phased out, over two decades after the company started using it. Apple's reasoning behind the decision is not known, but "Apple Account" would be more straightforward branding.

Apple will preview iOS 18 and its other major software updates at its developers conference WWDC in June, and the rebranding to "Apple Account" will likely be announced then. The updates should be widely released in September.

Article Link: 'Apple ID' Expected to Change to 'Apple Account' Starting With iOS 18

It’s a much needed semantics change, and also aligns with Apple getting more into financial services. I think the savings accounts are field tests for general checking.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
It's called Apple ID because (correct me if I'm wrong) they actually did this first. Before Google and Microsoft forced you to create and log in with an account, Apple offered one (and didn't force you, and still doesn't.)

They are probably changing it to align with what everyone else has come to call it, since these accounts are now mandatory for so many people.

Edit: I have to admit I don’t understand a lot of the reactions to this comment. I mean am I wrong? Mobile Me was before Gmail. Microsoft did have Passport way back when and that did evolve into what they currently call the Microsoft Account. After Gmail came out of beta and they did Workspace, they called it a Google Account.

And you have to log in with a Microsoft Account to the Home version of Windows. I believe even Pro now. Same for Chromebook.

And you don’t technically have to use iCloud especially on Mac. Yes you do have to use it on iPhone if you want to use anything that didn’t come pre-installed. But let’s see if the EU can change that.

Last edited:

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
Change the personal name field from:

First (required)
Middle (optional)
Last (required)

to:
Name (required)
Preferred name (optional)

It’s more inclusive for people in regions that have different naming conventions, and also makes it easier when creating generic Apple accounts like Office, Admin etc.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Apple needs to deal with the confusion over Apple Pay, Wallet, Cash and Card.
How is it confusing?

Apple Wallet is like your physical wallet; it holds your cash, cards, and other ID or similar documents.
Apple Card is a literal physical credit card you can load into your Apple Wallet.
Apple Cash is... cash. It's a cash balance you can accrue through rewards or receiving payments. You spend it electronically like cash or a debit card.
Apple Pay is the payment method by which you can spend whatever is in your wallet.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
merge accounts or I’m not interested
Apple has a ton of technical debt they've simply band-aided over the years. I'm afraid some things are too far gone now. To say nothing of the state of macOS and iOS bugs that never get fixed... I'm doubtful they'll ever get around to upgrading the rubber bands and paperclips that hold iCloud together from AppleID, iTools and .Mac.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Something I want to be able to do with my Apple ID is delete the original iCloud.com email alias I originally setup the account with. The spam I get is insane and I want to get rid of it, but it’s not currently possible. I don’t understand why it’s not.

I want to then just use hide my email for every account on every site I own, which should cut down on spam massively.

Plus I have years of purchased iTunes content on the account so I can’t just set up a new one. I also use iCloud Photos, private relay, keychains etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.