Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
There are so many things wrong with this thread. For starters, your Apple ID didn't get hacked, someone got your password and was using the account for fraudulent purchases. The Apple ID service getting hacked would result in a lot more headache than we hear about, millions of compromised accounts rather than the few dozen we've read about online. Second, you CC was never compromised, since theres no way to view a valid, whole card number within iTunes, its hashed out with *****'s once entered and therefore your card was never at danger for any charges other than iTunes. And then, you complain Apple "lets this happen," but get irritated when your account that YOU VERIFIED WITH APPLE was being used fraudulently was locked down??? And finally, having worked customer service, I can tell you right now, by calling a line not meant for what you want and then demanding that they fix your problem will get you nowhere fast, especially when the proper online channel is so simple and spelled out in plain black and white. No wonder it took them so long, YOU screwed up by not reading and figuring out who you needed to contact.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
So much for Apple being a more secure platform! Sounds like Dell has them beat in terms of security.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
This happened to me last week. I immediately changed my passwords, etc. and removed my payment source so that the person couldn't charge anything else. I then started the dispute process with PayPal... expecting them to reverse charges any day now.

Next time I tried to update software, I got a message that my account was disabled. I went online and found the proper mechanism to request assistance. Got an email back that evening (a Sunday) asking for more information. Sent what they needed.

Got an email back the next day telling me I was reset, and how to go about getting back in. I did, and all is well now.

----------

I had crappy help from apple when i wanted to change my apple ID, They told me just to make a new account, and that i wouldn't be able to transfer my purchases. They say there is no way to change your apple ID even they cant do it. So after 7 days of me trying to resolve this matter i just gave up.

Just keep asking to talk to the person that's above them and if they cant help you ask for their boss and so on.

By the way, you can change your Apple ID. I did.

rollerross

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Had a similar experience myself but got it all refunded and sorted in 2 days. :) I have had amazing customer service from Apple.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I'm thinking that it was more of the OP's account that was hacked, and not iTunes itself.
In this case, it would be more likely to have the fault lay upon the OP since it was more likely a password crack/guess that allowed this to happen. And Apple did what it was supposed to, disable the account, to prevent further misappropriations. While the OP could tell Apple he's disabled the CC, they still disable the account for further security.

I'm glad the issue was resolved, but I fail to see in any way how this was Apples fault without the knowledge that someone had in face hacked into iTunes. If so, there would be many more accounts having problems. Not just every odd one or so.

FYI, this also happened to my son's account. It took them about 3 or 4 days to rectify the issue. But again, it was his password that was the problem. Not Apple getting hacked into.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I had a similar experience recently. My gmail address started getting iTunes updates. Then it got a "you changed your password and added credit card info" email. I don't use gmail for my appleID. I entered my appleID and asked to reset my password (using my gmail account). Bam, I got a new password. I entered my gmail address and new password and there I was in SOMEONE ELSE'S appleID. I had access to all of her information. I texted her. She says it's not her. okay.

I'm now getting receipts for things "she" bought... I emailed apple and asked them to disable that ID since its using MY email address. I check that account daily, and so far it's still there. and I'm still able to access HER information.

I think it's surreal that if you have access to an email account you cant resent an associated appleID (no secret question, no verification)...
scary

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I'm of no help in terms of a resolution but Apple didn't allow your ID to get hacked. You think they want to deal with your customer service call or have to refund money or fix accounts?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Strong passwords on secure systems go a long way. Predictable passwords -- like <my cats name><my day of birth> -- especially on vulnerable systems are a field day for ID thieves.

Remember that scene from Spaceballs where King Roland is forced to divulge the combination to Druidia's shield? :p Example of a weak password.

The first 16 or so bytes from /dev/random? Example of strong passwords. ;)

Of course the above isn't practical, but a more practical version of that can be had by using a password manager like 1Password or whatever.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
just a quick update.

Massachusetts attorney general is looking into the issue since her account was hacked as well. So now the ball starts rolling when a person of power is affected huh. How widespread is this issue?

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/21/massa...emand-answers-from-apple-after-itunes-breach/
Her iTunes account/AppleID wasn't hacked -- her credit card was skimmed. This means someone directly got her credit card information off of the magnetic strip that's on the back of the card. And depending on how it was skimmed, they could have gotten the security code that's printed on the back, too.

She's complaining that when the thieves tried to use her stolen credit card number to buy something from Dell, Dell declined it. Apple, however, didn't.

This is entirely different from someone figuring out your AppleID. Someone hacking into your AppleID isn't going to be able to get a full credit card number and then hop over to Dell's site and try to buy something.

After skimming the card info, Coakley said the thieves attempted...
http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/m...-itunes-scam-says-shell-demand-answers-092111

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
When you're as big and rich as Apple, nothing matters except their masterful hype, and CONvincing sales pitches.

Preoccupied sucking the cash out of peoples accounts, they are far too busy to give this the attention it deserves.

They're losing track of the importance of each individual customer... very disappointing.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think it's surreal that if you have access to an email account you cant resent an associated appleID (no secret question, no verification)...
scary
FWIW, that's not true.

AppleIDs can be reset by using a secret question and your birthday. (And if you're worried about your birthday being common knowledge, you can enter any date)

If you don't remember what your secret question/birthday associated with your AppleID are, you can view/change them at: http://myinfo.apple.com

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-22 at 11.55.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-22 at 11.55.34 AM.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 55

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
These companies that we leave our credit card info with have less interest in our security and more in theirs

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
FWIW, that's not true.

AppleIDs can be reset by using a secret question and your birthday. (And if you're worried about your birthday being common knowledge, you can enter any date)

If you don't remember what your secret question/birthday associated with your AppleID are, you can view/change them at: http://myinfo.apple.com
The password can also be reset by clicking a link you receive at the email address WITHOUT knowing that secret question, which was my point.

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
just a quick update.

Massachusetts attorney general is looking into the issue since her account was hacked as well. So now the ball starts rolling when a person of power is affected huh. How widespread is this issue?

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/21/massa...emand-answers-from-apple-after-itunes-breach/

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

She had her debit card stolen.

Thief used her stolen credit card on iTunes (but somehow knew her CC address).

Her account is not hacked.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I had a similar experience recently. My gmail address started getting iTunes updates. Then it got a "you changed your password and added credit card info" email. I don't use gmail for my appleID. I entered my appleID and asked to reset my password (using my gmail account). Bam, I got a new password. I entered my gmail address and new password and there I was in SOMEONE ELSE'S appleID. I had access to all of her information. I texted her. She says it's not her. okay.

I'm now getting receipts for things "she" bought... I emailed apple and asked them to disable that ID since its using MY email address. I check that account daily, and so far it's still there. and I'm still able to access HER information.

scary
Question, do you use a . in your email address?

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Question, do you use a . in your email address?

Nope, but knowing about the "dot" problem I asked her if she was "lapsangsouchong" with the dot. She said she had NO gmail address. (we share the same first name, but different last names). She says she has NO idea what I'm talking about and does not use my email address or name. according to her apple profile, she's an older woman. I hope she's not being taken advantage of by someone. I sent her a couple of follow up texts, telling her what was being bought with her credit card... she stopped replying.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The password can also be reset by clicking a link you receive at the email address WITHOUT knowing that secret question, which was my point.
Sorry, misunderstood your point. I thought you were saying that if you lost your password, it could only be reset by sending an email.

She says she has NO idea what I'm talking about and does not use my email address or name. according to her apple profile, she's an older woman. I hope she's not being taken advantage of by someone.
Hopefully nobody's taking advantage of her, but it sounds like someone has edited her AppleID and changed the email address to yours.

Since last June, the first time you make an iTunes purchase from a different computer, you have to re-verify your billing information, including typing in the card's security code. That's only printed on the back of the card. So unless someone's gotten ahold of that, hacking an AppleID doesn't equate to "easy purchases", at least. Still a huge PITA.

Last edited:

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Sorry, misunderstood your point. I thought you were saying that if you lost your password, it could only be reset by sending an email.
Probably my fault, I was rushing into a meeting when I typed my post.

But it got me thinking: if someone finds your iPhone, and your email on the iPhone is the same on your appleID... best to have a security code on the phone.

legreen

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
My ID has just been compromised and someone has used my ID to purchase something from the app store. However I had iTunes credit on there and they have used up about £37 of it. I can't find any details on the Apple site as to who to contact to try and get this back in the UK.

I have changed my password so hopefully it won't happen again. I am furious though. :mad:

Could anyone please point me in the right direction as I am going around in circles! Thank you.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I ordered an iPhone 4S from the UK online Apple Store last Saturday, and today I received an email confirming my change of order details.

I log on to my Apple account and the delivery address has been changed to another UK address.

So I took a screen print of the incorrect address, reset my password, and then amended the delivery address to the correct one

Should I email Apple and also report it to the police as fraud? I googled the delivery address, and it comes up on rightmove.com as a house for sale!

I am now worried, and haven't got a clue how someone got my account details.

bigbrownpilot

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
Did you not read the OP? :rolleyes: I was already given credit back by paypal. That's not the issue. The issue is that I cant download apps since they blocked my apple I'd account.

Apple dropped the ball on this because it's affecting a lot of users and their customer service is lackluster at best. I get better service from motorola than apple.

Exact same thing happened to me today. Their initial solution? Create a new Apple ID using a different e-mail. Only now I can't update apps that I paid for because they are associated with the old Apple ID. So next they want me to log back in and use the old Apple ID- the one that was hacked, the one where the hacker(s) changed my e-mail address to a bogus one, mailing address, and billing information. I spoke directly to tech support who relayed the information via text chat to the iTunes/Apple ID section (can't talk live to them, only e-mail). The next solution was to create a new password for the old Apple ID. Only problem is it won't accept any of the passwords they have created. All the reset e-mails go to a bogus e-mail address and my security questions have also all been changed. There is no way to get back into the old account.

Like the original post, all I want is access to update the apps I already purchased using an new Apple ID that isn't compromised. But they can't do that, I'm told. As wonderful as their products are, they seem blind to some of the security and authentication issues with the Apple ID and iTunes.

shadowfox64

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
Appleid hacked

Hello to all Mac lovers.

Last week also my apple id was hacked and someone ordered

voor about 120 dollar on my account!

What I did is changed my password for Apple and Clickandbuy right away.

After that I sended Apple an email as well as to Clickandbuy!

Not even 4 hours later Apple refunded me the money and gave me tons

of advice how to protect my account more.

Apple and clickandbuy gave me the fastest and best service ever!

I am very very happy with what they did for me!

Regards John

The Netherlands

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
When you're as big and rich as Apple, nothing matters except their masterful hype, and CONvincing sales pitches.

Preoccupied sucking the cash out of peoples accounts, they are far too busy to give this the attention it deserves.

They're losing track of the importance of each individual customer... very disappointing.

Having read a lot of your replies, I really wouldn't care about a customer like you either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.