Apple Identifies Limited Hardware Issue With 2017 13" MacBook Pro Models With Function Keys

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has identified a limited hardware issue affecting the latest 13-inch MacBook Pro models with function keys, according to an internal memo distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers late last week.

[​IMG]

Namely, when either the MacBook Pro's solid state drive or main logic board experiences failure, both need to be replaced simultaneously. Apple's memo doesn't specify an underlying reason as to why both components may fail in tandem, or what percentage of units may be at risk of being affected.

An excerpt from the document, obtained by MacRumors from a reliable source:
    For clarity, this refers to the 2017 model year 13-inch MacBook Pro with a standard row of physical function keys rather than a Touch Bar. Apple says the issue does not affect any other MacBook Pro models with or without the Touch Bar, including those released in 2016, according to the memo.

Apple says the dual SSD-logic board replacement is not required for unrelated issues, such as a cracked display or an unresponsive trackpad.

Apple appears to have authorized free repairs for this issue, in or out of warranty. If there is liquid damage or accidental damage, however, out-of-warranty fees may apply. Apple quotes a turnaround time of roughly five to seven days.

To initiate a repair, visit the Get Support page on Apple's website and select "Mac" -> "Mac notebooks" -> "Hardware Issues" -> "The topic is not listed," explain the issue, and select continue. Then, select "Bring in for Repair" to schedule an appointment with an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Genius Bar.

There are also options to contact Apple's support advisors by phone or online chat to initiate a mail-in repair in select countries.

This issue could explain why the 13-inch MacBook Pro with function keys temporarily faced extended shipping estimates on Apple's online store last month, as Apple may have implemented a fix, although the brief shortage could have been purely coincidental. We've reached out to Apple for comment on the matter.

12:30 p.m. Pacific Time: Updated with corrected information about out-of-warranty fees.

Article Link: Apple Identifies Limited Hardware Issue With 2017 13" MacBook Pro Models With Function Keys

2. Baymowe335, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

Baymowe335 macrumors 68000

Keyword Macrumors: Limited.

This doesn’t mean every 13 inch will fail. For the limited number that do, Apple will fix it.

3. forerunnerg34 macrumors 6502

forerunnerg34

Just limited TO ALL latest 13-inch MacBook Pro models with function keys.

4. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

If the SSD is not broken, will Apple move your data to the replacement SSD?

5. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

How could Apple identify and acknowledge this issue on 'limited MacBook Pros' and then say out-of-warranty fees may apply? Not a good look

6. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

7. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

8. zoomp macrumors member

So, what happens if we get this out of warraty period? Why don’t they issue a recall... this seems pretty serious enough. So, if my SSD fails out of warraty period, Do I have to pay for a new motherboard that was not damaged by my use? Makes little sense to me.

9. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

I have one of these. Haven't seen any issues apart from some graphics glitches in 10.13.4 (now hopefully resolved with the new update?)

Does this mean there's an elevated failure rate for logic boards and/or SSDs on this model? Should I be extra vigilant about backups?

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

If this is happening to the first tranche of units shipped immediately after WWDC 2017 they may be close to being out of the standard one year warranty (where applicable). So if the customer does not have AppleCare...

Yes if the unit is under warranty (either the standard or extended via AppleCare).

11. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Good luck fixing these once your (usually 1 year) warranty expires. "Oh your SSD failed? Time to replace both your SSD and the entire logic board! You bet it's going to cost a lot!".

12. Smartass macrumors 65816

You must be new to apple world
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2018 ---
    Unless you have a small "ding" or scratch on your MacBook. In that case, they'll first have to fix those(of course no warranty for that) before they can fix the issue under warranty.

13. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

"Limited hardware issue" with the function keys?

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to continue

14. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

A reminder again why you should wait on Rev C on a redesign.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So Apple finds a defect but will charge people who's warranty has expired?

16. Baymowe335 macrumors 68000

It doesn’t mean every one will fail and they’ll repair it.

17. hajime macrumors 601

Can’t Apple make a descent laptop in these days? Considering to buy this cheapest model and now I have to waste time to choose another one again.

18. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

What in the actual crap. How about addressing the big issue at stake, which is the ever increasing reports of keyboards failing? I am in need of my THIRD keyboard replacement. It’s not like they got served a class action lawsuit over this. (Note: bleeding with sarcasm.)

19. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

If there isn't a page up soon to check the serial number is in the affected units this is not good.

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I can't imagine that would fly in any EU country. Sure, one or other could fail, outside warranty. But having to replace two expensive and (normally) relatively un-coupled components when only one fails, sounds like a flaw. Any customer would have very strong grounds for challenging this.

21. Geardo_Ranger macrumors member

Geardo_Ranger

So in Apples words: This is why you need a touchbar so your function keys wont fail LOL.

22. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

23. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Their users identified a huge problem with the Macbook Pro keyboards the week they released. Good on Apple for only taking them a year to spot another issue. lol

24. acorntoy macrumors 65816

But but but then how will people ever see that I own the newest Apple device?

/s

25. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

JimmyBanks6

So they've identified a hardware defect that causes failure, but the repair is only covered under warranty.

The **** is this bs?