Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IMessage_Icon.jpg
Apple is planning to announce an iMessage app for Android users at WWDC, according to a report from MacDailyNews citing sources "familiar with the company's thinking."
Apple will announce that iMessage encrypted text messaging is coming to Android users at WWDC next Monday at WWDC 2016, according to a source familiar with the company's thinking. [...]

Apple is increasingly focused on services which means opening up certain avenues beyond its own iOS and OS X platforms, the source says. The company release Apple Music for Android last November.
Google recently announced a new messaging app called "Allo," which will be available on both Android and iOS devices. Allo integrates with a user's phone number and includes features like a built-in Google assistant that offers up proactive suggestions, resizable message bubbles, emoji, stickers, smart replies, mini games, an Incognito mode with end-to-end encryption, and more.

With Google set to release a chat app on iOS, bringing iMessage to Android could potentially be Apple's response. Apple has previously released three apps on Android, including Apple Music, Move to iOS for transitioning from an Android device to an iPhone, and Beats Pill*, for controlling the Beats Pill speaker. Apple CEO Tim Cook has said Apple Music is Apple's way of testing the water ahead of bringing additional Apple services to other platforms.

The simplicity, convenience, and security of iMessage is one of the major perks of the iPhone, however, so it is unclear if Apple would want to expand such a key feature beyond its own devices.

MacDailyNews doesn't have a solid track record when it comes to accurately predicting Apple's plans, so today's report should be viewed with some skepticism. The site's source also suggests "plans are constantly in flux" ahead of keynotes so the release could be delayed, but iMessage is "definitely" coming to Android in 2016.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Be Debuting iMessage for Android at WWDC

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
I hope this isn't true. iMessage is awesome and it should remain a flagship exclusive feature of iOS/OS X.

no. ABSOLUTELY wrong.

you know what's the number one thing I hate about imessage?
when you select an android user and send a message "Hey where are you? waiting in front of store...". then he doesn't respond for 5-10 minutes. then you realize it got sent to their iPad instead of their Android device.

then you have to figure out how to FORCE send as sms since the android phone number and imessage e-mail got lumped together into one contact.

there are also other problems, but they're too long to list here.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Uhhhhh... if they do that, then there's no reason to use iPhone at all. I know quite a few people who use iPhones primarily for iMessage. Apple will loose a lot of iPhone sales if this happens (wait, they're already loosing sales!) iMessage is one of the only exclusively Apple things that only Apple users get. If they do this then why not iOS for android?

iMessage on android = lack of apple ecosystem

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Remember folks the reason they may be releasing iMessage on android isnt really for consumers, it's because so many Apple Staff have switched to Android already XD

Reactions: Kaspersky and tann

Chastepe

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Derby, UK
At the moment I have an LG G5 and I am more than satisfied with the phone. I own a Mac Pro and I have an iTunes Match & Apple Music subscription. Initially I could not afford an iPhone but since Apple released Apple Music on Android I have almost everything I need. The only service that I didn't have was iMessage to communicate with my iPhone friend owners. If Apple release iMessage for Android they lose this premium exclusivity which in my opinion is good, however I believe after this Apple should provide some innovative features on their future generation iPhones over the Android Competitors such as Samsung, LG etc. Because in the end there will not be any reason to buy an iPhone, when you can buy a device that does almost the same with half of the price of an iPhone.

Reactions: tann and Mactendo

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I'll be curious to see if this is true. I can see a lot of people switching back or staying on Android if they can still get iMessage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.