Apple Rumored to Be Debuting iMessage for Android at WWDC

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 9, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is planning to announce an iMessage app for Android users at WWDC, according to a report from MacDailyNews citing sources "familiar with the company's thinking."
    Google recently announced a new messaging app called "Allo," which will be available on both Android and iOS devices. Allo integrates with a user's phone number and includes features like a built-in Google assistant that offers up proactive suggestions, resizable message bubbles, emoji, stickers, smart replies, mini games, an Incognito mode with end-to-end encryption, and more.

With Google set to release a chat app on iOS, bringing iMessage to Android could potentially be Apple's response. Apple has previously released three apps on Android, including Apple Music, Move to iOS for transitioning from an Android device to an iPhone, and Beats Pill*, for controlling the Beats Pill speaker. Apple CEO Tim Cook has said Apple Music is Apple's way of testing the water ahead of bringing additional Apple services to other platforms.

The simplicity, convenience, and security of iMessage is one of the major perks of the iPhone, however, so it is unclear if Apple would want to expand such a key feature beyond its own devices.

MacDailyNews doesn't have a solid track record when it comes to accurately predicting Apple's plans, so today's report should be viewed with some skepticism. The site's source also suggests "plans are constantly in flux" ahead of keynotes so the release could be delayed, but iMessage is "definitely" coming to Android in 2016.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Be Debuting iMessage for Android at WWDC

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY
    geezus that was annoying to deal with green bubbles.

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

I hope this isn't true. iMessage is awesome and it should remain a flagship exclusive feature of iOS/OS X.

4. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I think iMessage (and hopefully FaceTime soon) cross platform could be big!!

5. CrystalPepsi, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016

CrystalPepsi macrumors regular

CrystalPepsi

What a time to be alive. Maybe they'll integrate Facetime into as well.

EDIT: I wonder if they will integrate sending money as an option as well? Transfers to anyone with an account for 10¢.

6. captain cadet macrumors 6502

Didn't Steve jobs say that FaceTime was meant to be open source?

7. JDHiro macrumors regular

JDHiro

I hate texting people on Android because I don't get responses on all my devices, I don't get read-receipts, or anything. I don't know if Android users would use this, but I'd appreciate it if they did.

8. 555gallardo macrumors regular

555gallardo

Since I'm moving to S7, I love this!

Also, a messaging service as a flagship feature?

9. b0nd18t macrumors 6502

b0nd18t

This is a main reason to own an iPhone. Seems like an odd move if true. What would Apple have to gain?

10. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

no. ABSOLUTELY wrong.

you know what's the number one thing I hate about imessage?
    when you select an android user and send a message "Hey where are you? waiting in front of store...". then he doesn't respond for 5-10 minutes. then you realize it got sent to their iPad instead of their Android device.

then you have to figure out how to FORCE send as sms since the android phone number and imessage e-mail got lumped together into one contact.

there are also other problems, but they're too long to list here.

11. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

12. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

On one hand, I think this wants to stay an exclusive feature for iOS and OS X only but on the other hand, they could make iMessage even more popular and better by expanding it. Either way, it doesn't bother me.

13. !!! macrumors 6502

Uhhhhh... if they do that, then there's no reason to use iPhone at all. I know quite a few people who use iPhones primarily for iMessage. Apple will loose a lot of iPhone sales if this happens (wait, they're already loosing sales!) iMessage is one of the only exclusively Apple things that only Apple users get. If they do this then why not iOS for android?

iMessage on android = lack of apple ecosystem

14. Kobbr macrumors regular

I can see it being one app that handles text messages and iMessage (just like iOS).. Now android users will know the horror when the green bubble appears from their windows friends.

15. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Oh and goodbye WhatsApp (even though I've never downloaded it).

16. LCPepper macrumors 6502

LCPepper

17. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

user experience. the problems i've had talking to android users are very annoying.

18. LCPepper macrumors 6502

LCPepper

A wise decision

19. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

i get all of my sms messages on all of my apple devices. did you enable the services?

20. Chris Grande macrumors regular

Chris Grande

You have to enable "Text Message Forwarding" in Messages.
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22363

21. TylerL macrumors regular

Wish Apple had done this years ago. They've simply given WhatsApp, Facebook, and others time to grow with nothing to show for it.

My suggestion nearly 5 years ago:
    [​IMG]

22. AppleMactablet macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

Remember folks the reason they may be releasing iMessage on android isnt really for consumers, it's because so many Apple Staff have switched to Android already XD

23. Chastepe macrumors member

At the moment I have an LG G5 and I am more than satisfied with the phone. I own a Mac Pro and I have an iTunes Match & Apple Music subscription. Initially I could not afford an iPhone but since Apple released Apple Music on Android I have almost everything I need. The only service that I didn't have was iMessage to communicate with my iPhone friend owners. If Apple release iMessage for Android they lose this premium exclusivity which in my opinion is good, however I believe after this Apple should provide some innovative features on their future generation iPhones over the Android Competitors such as Samsung, LG etc. Because in the end there will not be any reason to buy an iPhone, when you can buy a device that does almost the same with half of the price of an iPhone.

24. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Tim did read your email finally :)

Apple should be more proactive and not just responding to Google's moves.

25. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I'll be curious to see if this is true. I can see a lot of people switching back or staying on Android if they can still get iMessage.